Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Newcastle KDR (Sekisui)-Post build -Patio cover & Landscape

Page 3 of 58
Oh I haven't heard of Perry Homes before. I just looked them up, their plans are great. I LOVE that each design has an option for raked ceilings. Are you going raked ceilings? Please tell me you are! Which plan did you pick? Will you start your own thread? I think you should, I'd love to hear all about your experiences

We've got Council approval for a bathroom in our shed out the back. We've got the plumbing in the slab, just no pipes to connect it to the street yet. Seems like a lot of effort to do it as it's quite a distance, but if we do, it'll negate some of the need for a loo in the laundry
Hey cat_dunc any ideas on what you will be doing for your kitchen colours?
Just curious as I assume your have already modelled it
cat_dunc
Oh I haven't heard of Perry Homes before. I just looked them up, their plans are great. I LOVE that each design has an option for raked ceilings. Are you going raked ceilings? Please tell me you are! Which plan did you pick? Will you start your own thread? I think you should, I'd love to hear all about your experiences

We hadn't either. Apparently they are fairly big up the coast, originally starting in the Gold Coast and moving south over the past few years. We are going with the Solis 241. No raked ceilings... would probably consider it if we didn't have to have an allowance for Bearers and Joists... The cost of that rules a lot of things out.
Contemplating starting a thread... just waiting on things to be underway... still in limbo at the moment with the bank and the builder.

cat_dunc
We've got Council approval for a bathroom in our shed out the back. We've got the plumbing in the slab, just no pipes to connect it to the street yet. Seems like a lot of effort to do it as it's quite a distance, but if we do, it'll negate some of the need for a loo in the laundry

Well that would solve it
Oh my I love the raked ceiling. We wanted it but had just taken 6 months working out the floor plan and our facade and when they did the engineering drawings for a raked ceiling it would have changed our design too much. It wasn't really any extra considering how much our place cost in the end. Raked ceilings remind me of an interior design rule which says if you don't have a view outside, create one inside. The raked ceiling just looks so grand - I wish we had done it, especially as we don't have a view. Glad you like the standard selection on offer from your builder at Beaumonts. Our builder gave us a price rather than a range but I felt like there were heaps of nice tiles around at different price points. Unlike other ranges like bricks where they almost force you to upgrade because the basic ones are so blah. What computer program did you use for the ceiling thing. Looks great.

gixxer
No raked ceilings... would probably consider it if we didn't have to have an allowance for Bearers and Joists... The cost of that rules a lot of things out.
Contemplating starting a thread... just waiting on things to be underway... still in limbo at the moment with the bank and the builder.

Hey Gixxer - well do I know the problem of the B&J construction cost blowout problem but for a good result (I hope!)
Do start a thread! would love to follow your journey!
We've received Rev1 of our New Home Proposal. It has things we don't want and doesn't include changes from the drawings or the list of other things we've asked for. Our sales guy did ask if we had any changes to the drawings before he sent it through to the estimators, but looks like it went ahead anyway. Not a big deal, I've now marked up the Proposal and sent it back. I suspect I've made our sales guy a little overwhelmed... My email was... detailed.

My biggest problem now is that I'm worried I don't have the best plan for our block. I keep second guessing our most important decision (the plan) and it's driving me mental! I started for the #th time to design my own house. Though finally confessed to my husband my thoughts and he's standing firm that we're not changing.

Out of all of it though I think we'll move the fridge to the main kitchen so we're not going into the pantry all the time to get drinks etc. Will post a new plan when I've drawn it.

Oh, also our New Home Proposal states at the back they only do 2 revisions of it before charging $500 per extra go. We were never told this and Sekisui won't tell us set prices unless they're in the proposal, so I've let them know I won't be paying any type of fee should we exceed 2 goes.

I'll keep you posted...!
This is the hardest part I reckon. All the changing and second guessing your decisions is tough. Once it's all locked in you'll feel better. I think that's a good idea for the fridge to go in the main kitchen. Although for me I'm thinking having the kitchen out of sight out of mind might do the waistline a favor lol

We have something like 50-70 changes to our new home proposal with things such as adding a room back in at 23sqm on the back of the house, removing the $11,500 bi fold doors we requested in lieu of the standard triple stacker and replace a double for a triple, many, many, many power points, extra switches for two-way switching in rooms, niches, control panel locations, removing the builders quote of caesarstone kitchen island for standard to do our own marble one after handover etc…we get our second to last set of changes next month and we completed our colour appointment yesterday. We expect more changes between now and then and even more once we complete the house!
Hey cat_dunc -- I've only just seen your update. I think the $500 thing is something new because they are so overwhelmed. The sales people did mention to us at some stage that they were changing some things around and going to be charging for changes. It would be all good and well if the salespeople actually had enough information to advise the customers what things may end up costing!

Don't second guess. Analysis Paralysis
--oh unless you're second guessing about your raked ceiling

I keep wondering about our laundry.. but at the end of the day it's a laundry and I keep telling myself I would have been happy with the 'default' house anyway...

I can imagine your listing being fairly long. Can I recommend you keep a spreadsheet or some sort of list so you can go back to it. Somehow our drawings would reflect a change... and two versions after it snaps back to the version previous in parts!

We only FINALLY have approved our drawings *sigh* ... after they got our BASIX certificate.. so now they have to go and get another one as they 'guessed' at what our floors were and only put them in the drawings after they gave it to us to approve ready for certification...
ChrisAlexTeddyBear
We have something like 50-70 changes to our new home proposal with things such as adding a room back in at 23sqm on the back of the house, removing the $11,500 bi fold doors we requested in lieu of the standard triple stacker and replace a double for a triple, many, many, many power points, extra switches for two-way switching in rooms, niches, control panel locations, removing the builders quote of caesarstone kitchen island for standard to do our own marble one after handover etc…we get our second to last set of changes next month and we completed our colour appointment yesterday. We expect more changes between now and then and even more once we complete the house!

just noticed you are building the Aron. nice house! do let us know if you start your own thread or a blog!
ChrisAlexTeddyBear

I love the Aron, what a gorgeous house! Please start a thread or blog so I can follow it!
joannek
Oh my I love the raked ceiling. We wanted it but had just taken 6 months working out the floor plan and our facade and when they did the engineering drawings for a raked ceiling it would have changed our design too much. It wasn't really any extra considering how much our place cost in the end. Raked ceilings remind me of an interior design rule which says if you don't have a view outside, create one inside. The raked ceiling just looks so grand - I wish we had done it, especially as we don't have a view. Glad you like the standard selection on offer from your builder at Beaumonts. Our builder gave us a price rather than a range but I felt like there were heaps of nice tiles around at different price points. Unlike other ranges like bricks where they almost force you to upgrade because the basic ones are so blah. What computer program did you use for the ceiling thing. Looks great.

Thanks, yeah it would look great. I do mockups on Archicad. I know what you mean about the bricks!!
Okay, so my recurring bugs are:

- we have a tiny bit of lake view, and views of a distant hill above our lower neighbours house at our current house level, but will lose them if we go lower [Husband doesn't care, says our new views will be to our lovely landscaped backyard - which is something we dont look at now as our living room doesnt face that way]

- I'd love a wood fire place, but there's no where in particular to put it in this design, unless we only have a tv in the rumpus room. [I dont think a wood fire can go under a tv...?]

- i have concerns about access to the fridge in the pantry, if i move it it puts a step in the wall to the room below [pic coming]

- i have concerns about two roller doors to garage instead of one (will i scratch the car accidentally, I'm a bit clumsy
)

- annnd i have concerns it looks nothing like my 'dream house'
Which could possibly be described as Australian Colonial/ Country.

Why aren't we all richer?
are you going to have a wood fire oven? or just a wood fireplace?
The reason being is that an oven could go near the kitchen? against the rear wall.

Or something like this
in the living area between the windows? (means you will need to have panel type window coverings rather than curtains unless the curtains can come all the way from the other side)

fridge in pantry... just get a commercial bar fridge space for under bench in the normal kitchen for often needed stuff and/or put a sink in the pantry (depending on why you want the fridge in the kitchen!)

Roller doors -- you'll be fine but a single big door is useful for wide loads!

I like your style
it's hard to get a home with that style from a project home builder!
or hang one of these in the corner just inside the alfresco area between living and dining:

(Since you aren't going Aussie country anyway)
Wow that's one impressive fire place! He he i wonder how much one of those costs! Yep, just about to open the file and play around with it.

I think my venting helped. I've accepted I just can't afford my dream house, but most people can't
yvonneh
or hang one of these in the corner just inside the alfresco area between living and dining:

Ha ha my husband said this one reminded him of our Whippet before he got neutered. He only had on ball
Boys!
yvonneh

We haven't really decided, but my husband loves the display home colours and I quite like them, so probably the same or very similar? All very neutral
This is the display home:

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r759/cat_dunc/IMG_20140223_152118_636_zps42a45524.jpg

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r759/cat_dunc/IMG_20140223_152202_202_zps6a01c93f.jpg

On a side note - I love that they used subtle wall paper in some rooms. I'm keen to do this also.
Wall paper in the display 'theatre' (our rumpus room):
http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r759/cat_dunc/IMG_20140223_152400_339_zpsf3e20061.jpg

Wall paper in the display main bedroom (behind bed head):
http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r759/cat_dunc/IMG_20140223_153632_117_zpsbf76153e.jpg
cat_dunc
yvonneh

Ha ha my husband said this one reminded him of our Whippet before he got neutered. He only had on ball
Boys!

cat_dunc
yvonneh

We haven't really decided, but my husband loves the display home colours and I quite like them, so probably the same or very similar? All very neutral

Looks nice! Easy on the eyes.
Related
8/09/2023
Can you cover up a window in a bathroom ?

Bathrooms and Laundry

No probs, thanks for the reply...

18/01/2024
What can I cover this with?

General Discussion

Excellent, thanks for the tip ... not in Sydney, but I might give the Dy Mark a try, cheers

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum