Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

who has installed a whirlybird to their roof?

Page 3 of 3
That is the first thing we look at
from the street

Onc_Artisan
We had 1 whirly + 4 eve vents as standard in our house and we've added a 2nd as it's a large house. Getting Evening Haze as the roof colour.
Nightshade
We had 1 whirly + 4 eve vents as standard in our house and we've added a 2nd as it's a large house. Getting Evening Haze as the roof colour.

Sucking hot air out of your roof space doesn't make your living room cooler. Sucking hot air out of your living room makes the house cooler.
hello

we we got a whirly bird with our roof, its supposed help the roof cool down i think
dymonite69

Sucking hot air out of your roof space doesn't make your living room cooler. Sucking hot air out of your living room makes the house cooler.

Choice had an article about them many years ago and I think that's pretty much what they said. Useful in specific circumstances such as if you have a raked ceiling and can have the whirlybird ventilating the room but otherwise their benefit is negligible.
Just in case anyone missed my comment about extracting water vapour from a roof space...
I suggested it was important if you have bathrooms

...that the extraction from the room should not be exited into the roof space
...but free-to-air outside the roof space.

I didn't mention anything about heatgain or loss
my primary goal was to reduce moisture ingress into the ceiling insulation
and thereby reducing the likelyhood of moldy bathrooms

as I said, this is with my waterproofing hat on 20+years as a sole trader

Onc_Artisan
onc_artisan
my primary goal was to reduce moisture ingress into the ceiling insulation
and thereby reducing the likelyhood of moldy bathrooms

Is that mouldy bathrooms or mouldy insulation?

Moisture also accumulates in the house because of cold surfaces. Good insulation reduces cold surfaces, which reduces condensation, which reduces moisture, which reduces mould.
Got a couple of Eco-vents that open only when roof space temp goes over 35 degs. Said to be much better than whirlies.

Chris
Dymo in my example the 2 are the same(at least, mouldy insulation will lead to a mouldy Bathroom), what you're talking about and what I recommended are 2 different things

kristofw
Got a couple of Eco-vents that open only when roof space temp goes over 35 degs. Said to be much better than whirlies.

Chris

I would too if we had a roof space larger that 140mm... the bathrooms will be ducted out

Onc_Artisan
PS I could just Moderate and say nothing, it would be easier
Related
4/09/2023
Newly Installed Aircon Not Sitting Flush with the Wall

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

The unit normally clips into a metal plate screwed to the wall, either plate is not flush, or unit not hooked in and could be hanging from the pipes partly, either might…

20/06/2023
Builder has not done something - can I ask for a variation f

Building A New House

I work with owner, he/she is my man on the ground and I instruct them when to visit the site and take photos and I have other tools in the bag.

16/07/2023
Aluminium awning window seal has popped out in one corner

Windows & Doors

Thanks mate, this helped a lot. Managed to get it back in.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum