Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Daydream 30. 22 week build. After handover fun has begun

Page 20 of 20
CC7
the media room looks fantastic! Dark colours are not forgiving on walls that have any textures, ie defects. So its nice to see the wall look beautiful and smooth

how did your husband rate the paintwork of the house by Coral, is he still finding little annoying areas? My brother used to be a painter, so i know he'll be coming over after hand over and finding little things I missed hahaha

Thank you, he sanded the walls down before he painted them, I can only see one problem with the wall and that isn’t his fault it’s just a plaster join.

Horrible! Absolutely horrible. We went to the house the day the painter was starting, he said before the main colour was even on the wall, it was going to be terrible.

PCI Alex picked up paint problems on every wall, got told half of them are ‘acceptable’, maybe a third of the ones that got stickers got fixed.
It just wasn’t worth the fight, he can just repaint if it really bothers him that much.

So yes, I’ll say your brother will be picking up little things you have missed/ your painter didn’t care about.

Looks great we aren’t painters and can see how bad a job we got even with 6 revisits from the painter

xjanex
CC7
the media room looks fantastic! Dark colours are not forgiving on walls that have any textures, ie defects. So its nice to see the wall look beautiful and smooth

how did your husband rate the paintwork of the house by Coral, is he still finding little annoying areas? My brother used to be a painter, so i know he'll be coming over after hand over and finding little things I missed hahaha

Thank you, he sanded the walls down before he painted them, I can only see one problem with the wall and that isn’t his fault it’s just a plaster join.

Horrible! Absolutely horrible. We went to the house the day the painter was starting, he said before the main colour was even on the wall, it was going to be terrible.

PCI Alex picked up paint problems on every wall, got told half of them are ‘acceptable’, maybe a third of the ones that got stickers got fixed.
It just wasn’t worth the fight, he can just repaint if it really bothers him that much.

So yes, I’ll say your brother will be picking up little things you have missed/ your painter didn’t care about.

oh well that's why the dark paint looks so good, he did the other painters job haha

yea I've heard things on the forums where most of the painters just remove the stickers and don't fix up anything. Well i wont be expecting amazing things from our walls then

my dad used to be a painter too, so at least we know two painters in the family who can help out after if it really bugs us.
dougang287
Looks great we aren’t painters and can see how bad a job we got even with 6 revisits from the painter

wow six visits?! :S
Where do I even start?

Two weeks today since handover.

We still aren’t in

However the house is 90% unpacked, the media is painted, the last of the concrete is getting poured as I type this( that’s a whole other drama
) security screens are going on today, NBN was connected yesterday, blinds have been ordered 4-6 week turn around.

We plan on being completely moved in by Friday 🤞

It already feels like home.

Would I do it all over again?
If you asked me last Friday, the answer would have been hell the f*** no!!

But sure, I’d build again, I would take a lot more time to be 100% happy with the sizing of every room in the house and I’d probably do a lot more through the builder instead of after handover.

Last minute change to driveway, making it bigger meant not enough concrete was ordered

Friday

Today

Everything looks gorgeous! You must be busting to actually move in!

- B

A vue of the pines on the Gold Coast
forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=87210
Bridgetwitch
Everything looks gorgeous! You must be busting to actually move in!

- B

A vue of the pines on the Gold Coast
forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=87210

Yes! It’s so hard to driveway at night when all I wanna do is stay.
The worst thing we did was use our shower after doing the lawns last weekend. The rainfall shower head

And just like that, a house becomes a home.
Ready for final move in day on Friday 🖤

friday is not too far away, how exciting, the first sleepover in the new house

Everything looks so beautiful, we are getting driveway done after hand over too. It will be a pain but hey at least doing it after has saved some cash right?

I love the darker wall tile you chose in the bathroom, we have similar cabinet/top/floor but we have done all white on the walls. We really couldn't decide, i hope it comes together because i'm really loving yours haha

Did you get a splash under your upper cabinets in the kitchen? if so can i asked how they did it? We were told we could only have it on either side of the range hood
CC7

Everything looks so beautiful, we are getting driveway done after hand over too. It will be a pain but hey at least doing it after has saved some cash right?

I love the darker wall tile you chose in the bathroom, we have similar cabinet/top/floor but we have done all white on the walls. We really couldn't decide, i hope it comes together because i'm really loving yours haha

Did you get a splash under your upper cabinets in the kitchen? if so can i asked how they did it? We were told we could only have it on either side of the range hood

Thank you. I was worried it won’t all work together.

Yes, we saved money but it’s been a real PITA!!
Kinda wish we did it during the build, so then it’s the builders problem

We couldn’t agree on a feature tile for our niches, so we thought why not run the floor tile up the one wall. I really like it, I think all 4 in the dark would be way to much.

We have a built in range hood, so we can’t actually use the cupboards above the stove/rangehood. And it’s also just a whole piece of glass across the back.

I’m confused why they wouldn’t let you do that, why would you not have to behind the stove/range?

xjanex
CC7

Thank you. I was worried it won’t all work together.

Yes, we saved money but it’s been a real PITA!!
Kinda wish we did it during the build, so then it’s the builders problem

We couldn’t agree on a feature tile for our niches, so we thought why not run the floor tile up the one wall. I really like it, I think all 4 in the dark would be way to much.

We have a built in range hood, so we can’t actually use the cupboards above the stove/rangehood. And it’s also just a whole piece of glass across the back.

I’m confused why they wouldn’t let you do that, why would you not have to behind the stove/range?

i think i much prefer a feature wall than a feature niche. all the displays had the feature wall, but in the end we went with all white walls just to bounce some light around because we are super close to the neighbours so we probably wont have too much natural light coming through

ohhh, maybe it's because we have an... under mount version? fix under mount? It doesn't slide out, we have small cupboards above it. maybe thats why? we bought it up with our SS and he said on either side.

I still dont understand why it can't be done though, maybe they just cant be bothered changing the plans to how we originally asked for it haha (our sales lady entered it in as a strip either side, and she reckons that's all that was listed in her lists of things that could be added to the tender) shrug

i feel like its going to really bug me! and we didnt receive the final confirmation until two weeks before the build was due to start, and that was us asking multiple times. oh well, it is what it is, my partner said we can just turn the rangehood light on as well haha
The last time my kitchen was this clean was move in morning

Temporarily swapped dining & living. It works well with our current square dining table and lack of lounge for that room.

Study has become a dumping ground for things hubster doesn’t know where to put

Current state of my pantry, just close the door and walk away 🤦‍♀️

My parents are coming to visit in a week and half. I have a list a mile long for dad

We have ordered blinds for our media, bedroom and hubster’s man cave.

Going to spotlight this week to price curtains for the rest of the house, blinds can wait for when I win lotto

It’s such a great feeling to finally be in our own house. It’s going to be a great 5 weeks off work to relax and settle in 🖤

Holy crap 5 weeks off. You will have spotless, decluttered house.
Not a whole bunch happening over here.

Finally had the last of our handover jobs finished, but one of them actually created another new problem 🤦‍♀️

Had our back fence finished off last week. The back yard is huge. Having a mate come around on the weekend to give us a quote for scraping the back and front yard.

We had some roller blinds installed today in master, media and hubster’s study.

Mumma end up in hospital the day after Mother’s Day, (thankfully nothing serious, she is home and getting better) so that has delayed them coming up, but I think they are coming sometime in June.

We bought all our curtains, sheers and curtain rods from Ikea yesterday.
Dad will help hubster with them, they are also bringing our clothes line and letterbox.

Okay, enough from me, I know you really only want photos

Front door area is still a work in progress( I have no idea what to put here
)

I freaking love my kitchen

2m lapped and capped

Master

Hubster’s study

And my second favourite room, media

everything is looking so good, hooray for window blinds!

Im sorry to hear about your mum, but glad she's okay now.

I think you need some big pots with some large plants in them for the front door area, that's as much as I can help you though because I know almost nothing about plants so I can give you suggestions haha
It’s been 3 months since handover!

Where has the time gone?

It honestly didn’t take long to make this house feel like home. Every time we add something, it just feels more like home.

Mum and Dad finally made it up a few weeks ago, clothesline and letterbox are up.

We had our front yard excavated last week, looks 100 times better. It’s just too cold here at the moment to even think about grass though. It was -3 here Saturday morning

My little brother and his girlfriend came for a visit this weekend, put him to work, installing all my curtain rods

So that’s the good...

The not so good....We have had a slow leak in our roof, stoddards said it had been leaking since the day the roof was installed.
That got fixed last week, painter coming to fix the ceiling this week sometime.

I have to give my SS credit, he has been bloody fantastic since handover! We are still having problems with the concreter he recommended to us, he is calling him weekly for us, even going as far as turning up to other jobs to speak to him.
When we noticed the leak, he had stoddards here the next day.

Our a/c doesn’t seem to work very well. It can take upwards of 30 minutes to actually turn on, you can hear it running outside straight away, it just doesn’t come out the vents.
Once it’s going, it’ll only go for maybe 10-15 then switches off

We have had many people asking if we would build again, if we would use coral again.

To be honest, we probably would build with coral again. We know what to expect now, we know what to look for. You could say we are older and wiser.

Now for some photos

That concrete is now gone, one day it was there, the next day got home from work, it was gone

Heading back to ikea this week, to get some more of the block outs for the smaller windows.

Related
24/08/2023
Old Covenants in NSW - Something I learnt this week

Building A New House

Hi Everyone I learned something this week that I thought would be worth sharing. In NSW a lot of developers of subdivisions put covenants on the land which normally…

1/09/2023
Moving a chandelier after it has been mounted

Lighting + Lighting Design

Hello everyone, I have a question regarding moving a chandelier after it has been mounted. The chandelier in question is quite large, measuring 4 meters…

12/09/2023
Can a variation dispute hold up handover?

Building A New House

yes it does, you've just not understood it. theres a difference.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum