Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 185 of 862
Well looks like I will join your race too! If you dont mind.

We have been advised of site start 16th November dependent on weather and slab on 25th November also dependent on weather.

Our house is 1 story so it might not take that long-but i am thinking they will finish around mid April. I have started a blog so if you want to can check on the progress on there - http://hordefamilyhome.blogspot.com/

Good luck all keep posting updates
didi 3
Thanks Wateman and eli-kay.

I'm building in Point Cook. Land was titled in June this year and finance was approved months ago. Prior to signing the contract, I was advised that construction would commence prior to the end of October at the latest (they said most likely it would start in September). I understand there has been a delay with an amendment to the title although my issue is that the whole process has taken so long up until now and it has been impossible trying to get hold of anyone for answers. If the contract and selection stage was not held up due to their incompetence, construction would have already commenced.

Hopefully Ebony can help.

Hi did 3,

Thank you for your private message, I’ve just sent you a reply. Regards,
Ebony
Rups
LOL cat....yes you are winning...Alpal's block has just been scraped so he/she is on your tail.

We have our construction drawings appointment at 2pm today. Hopefully our permits are in so we can catch up to you (and overtake
) .

PS - As my nephew says, "Its not a race".

Cats just in front - my slab is scheduled for next week.
Not sure what area Cats in - we are in the east - this could also affect the race (the western burbs might be busier with work)
Rups - it will not take much to catchup, bit of bad weather and PD disorganisation - still a log way to go til the race is finished.
Regardless of who wins, lets just hope we all finish ontime with no issues and a quality standard!!!!
Fingers crossed...
Congrats to everyone who's home is starting!!

Our slab went down Oct 13th and today Our brickwork started (very excited.) I can't believe how quickly it all just appears!! I thought I had issues for stalking my block daily.. but if I don't I find I miss something exciting happening haha (sad, but true)

Also can't believe on a relative scale how much easier the build process is compared to the awful nightmare that was administration. If only those in the PD office returned phone calls from time to time, I'd be 100% satisfied!

So fingers crossed to everyone for a pleasant building experience!

Trudy
Our Construction meeting went well today... They pretty much had everything sorted from the 7 PCVs we raised. And the couple of things not done right were fixed straightaway, and that was what we signed off on.

Our slab structure was modified due to more accurate soil samples, and even though the site is still classed as a P, the 60-odd piers in the original footing plan don't need to be bored anymore, but there is some new strengthening around the slab perimeter.

We also have our building permit, but because their systems were unavailable, our BC couldn't give us a site start date. She has promised to call on Monday with one, and her gut feel was something in the next week. I'm slightly optimistic and going with Friday 18/11, and Leanne has her money on 22/11.

PD have been incredibly accommodating with us, and all our admin has gone very well. So far, cannot recommend them highly enough!

Very excited! Can't wait to get cracking... (possibly a bad term to use when the next big thing is a slab!!)
Wow rups you must be excited

Congrats to everyone starting their build.
We are so impressed with PD we started our build 1st week of September and we are now at fixing stage. So Nice to see our house becoming a home.
Very happy with the build so far.
By Monday we should finally be done with all our PCVs and changes! Looks like we will finish with 5 PCVs, so not quite up to Rups and Leanne, but not bad considering we only signed the contract in October!
PCV1 minor changes to figures on the contract
PCV2 add 4th bedroom
PCV3 add things to go along with 4th bedroom layout (double basin ensure, shower niches, sliding BIR doors to bed 4)
PCV4 electrical changes for 4th bedroom (power, data and lighting)
PCV5 add allowance for fencing/driveway etc to be returned as a chq after completion-our bank wanted this

I'll be so glad to have this all finalized so we can get the finance finished and finally get this thing started!
P.s. I love our new BC!
Five is a fantastic effort Wateman

Glad it is all sorted and all the best for a speedy site start.
Hey guys,

First post! I've been reading through this thread and it's got some great info for first time home buyers/builders like me and my partner.

We are building the Cabana 33 and we had our soil test ordered on Friday so fingers crossed that comes back with good results.

We made our first visit to Hopetoun yesterday. What a day that was...mind blowing.

Just a query for those who have been to the Coco Republic furniture sale. We are planning to head down on Saturday and see if we can get any bargains. How does the day actually work? Is there a choice of most furniture that has been on display? And is it just first in, best dressed?

Any insights would be much appreciated!
Hi Ben+Emily,
We went to the last one. It is first in best dressed, so get there 20 minutes early. They give you a sheet when you line up which explains the buying/delivery process. All the furniture from the display was for sale at about 60% off their recommended retail. Some stuff is good other stuff showing wear and tear.

We got an ottoman and chair, $1050 for both from about $3500. Annoyingly though we organised delivery for the following Saturday, but they have lost the ottoman.
It has been about 3 weeks now. So we don't want either if they can't find it. They match and we wanted to put them in our bedroom. A real waste of time if they can't find it as it was a 1 hour drive to get there !!!! I would suggest to take a trailer. People were just walking out with furniture, so we don't know if it was taken or lost at the depot.

Leanne
Welome to the newbies, hope your builds go smoothly

*Snap* to Rups and Leanne, we had final drawings signed off on Friday as well and with sytems down I'm assured of a phone call on Monday with details....won't hold my breath but also not too stressed as we're on holiday sunning ourselves away from our block. So glad it all got signed off before we left. Never thought to ask if permits were in but been assured that we're all systems go for Nov site start so must be fine.

I've found the process to be similar to my expectations....didn't expect major stuff ups and expected some "communication" break downs which has been pretty spot on. Definitely wouldn't complain about the admin but have had a giggle a few times at the idea of only replying to emails when it's good news and not answering at all when they either don't know or don't want to tell me!

As for the race (that I may have started LOL!) we'll be bringing up the rear with a completion date estimated as end of July 12!
thebigbuild
Well they are saying 18 november or 25!! We wanted an october start so these dates have ** me off.. ;P feel everything requires so much fluffing around and time wasting with admin and then you know you Just have this feeling that they have the money and the power in this transaction! Irritating! We are just waiting on our permits, news as soon as we have some. I am really looking forward to us all moving forward together
haha iPhone changed the word together to torture, hopes that's no omen!!

CONGRATS ON YOUR START DATE!!!!!!! Even if it is a month late
Our start was meant to me in September but we started last week... So I understand what it's like to be delayed. Although that being said our delay was 60% the banks fault!
Hi All,

I've been a little out of touch with my postings.. But I'm back
so I've just read through all the posts but it's a tad difficult to do quotes an an iPhone so I'll just do one big post and you can guess who I'm talking/replying to. (Or in other words I'm lazy :p)

Someone mentioned that building in the west could effect build time because it's suck a boom on that side of the city. I'm actually building in Wallan. Wallan is still classified as rural (woohoo extra 6.5k from FHOG) and is directly north of the city. It's about 10 - 15 minutes from Craigieburn and I'll be cat hung a Vline to work. I'm building in Wallara Waters which is a beautiful estate if I do say so myself

Building in Wallan did mean that I was charged a "distance fee" by PD but my extra FHOG easily covered this so it's not a problem.

Now about this race.. That isn't a race according to a nephew

Our slab is being poured on Thursday. We have pipes, a pile of dirt, temporary fencing and a porta-loo so far
I do have photos but was a bit busy on the weekend so didn't put them on the pc

So yeah.. I'm sure I forgot something.. But oh well. I'll remember after I click post!

Have fun at workies
Rups
Our Construction meeting went well today... They pretty much had everything sorted from the 7 PCVs we raised. And the couple of things not done right were fixed straightaway, and that was what we signed off on.

Our slab structure was modified due to more accurate soil samples, and even though the site is still classed as a P, the 60-odd piers in the original footing plan don't need to be bored anymore, but there is some new strengthening around the slab perimeter.

We also have our building permit, but because their systems were unavailable, our BC couldn't give us a site start date. She has promised to call on Monday with one, and her gut feel was something in the next week. I'm slightly optimistic and going with Friday 18/11, and Leanne has her money on 22/11.

PD have been incredibly accommodating with us, and all our admin has gone very well. So far, cannot recommend them highly enough!

Very excited! Can't wait to get cracking... (possibly a bad term to use when the next big thing is a slab!!)

Hi Rups,

Great update, looks like things are on a roll, hopefully you’ll get your start date today. You’ll have to let us know the date so we know who was closer, either you or Leanne. Cheers, Ebony
Ben+Emily
Hey guys,

First post! I've been reading through this thread and it's got some great info for first time home buyers/builders like me and my partner.

We are building the Cabana 33 and we had our soil test ordered on Friday so fingers crossed that comes back with good results.

We made our first visit to Hopetoun yesterday. What a day that was...mind blowing.

Just a query for those who have been to the Coco Republic furniture sale. We are planning to head down on Saturday and see if we can get any bargains. How does the day actually work? Is there a choice of most furniture that has been on display? And is it just first in, best dressed?

Hi Ben+Emily,
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first home. I’m glad to hear you are building with PD, the Cabana 33 is a great design – what façade have you chosen? It’s great to see you getting involved in the forum – it’s an excellent source of information where you can get honest and open feedback from other members who are different stages of their builds. You should keep an eye on our blog too, we have really great topics covered - http://blog.porterdavis.com.au/ Also please feel free to ask me any questions along the way, I’d be delighted to help where possible.

Will you get a chance to get down to the Coco Republic sale?

Cheers, Ebony
Ben+Emily
Hey guys,

Does PD charge extra for concrete under the alfresco ?
coobri

I don't know if they do with everyone but they did with us. We had a charge for the roof extension and pole and then a separate charge for the concrete.
coobri

Yes we were charged extra to do the alfresco. We also did our portico as well for a small cost. For us it was better and worth it to do all then and there and not have to worry about mud/dirt coming into the house after we move in.

1. Do your homework and get a price of doing it after handover. But you need to do this before signing contracts just in case you want PD to lay the cement.

2. You may find it a better option and less stressful to do it with Porter Davis because there is so still so much to do after handover (garden, furnishings etc..) and doing the alfresco now is one less thing you have to worry about.

3. At the end of the day it's funding.

Good luck!!!!
Leanne won.

Site start date is next Monday 21/11!

Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum