Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Metricon

Page 183 of 433
I would be interested on this topic about these conditions for IOC.

@Orph

Build thread: viewtopic.php?t=78328
Home Furniture: viewtopic.php?t=80551
Technology Hub: viewtopic.php?t=83663
Landscape Design: viewtopic.php?t=80645
That doesn't make sense that you need the driveway to get the interim oc... Is it your council that mandates that these need to be done for IOC?

Which council is this?
KKPP
Thanks Everyone,

PROBLEM in getting either interim occupation certificate or occupation certificate

Just as we were prepared to compromise issues related to painting, grouting and skirting etc, we are prepared to have our prehand over inspection and settlement booked for tomorrow, but now because the following, we are not sure we should settle because of some new development that we were not aware until today.

(1) Just found out from the private certifier this afternoon that we can not get either Interim Occupation Certificate or Occupation Certificate because the inspection report from the certifier as following, which was sent to our builder/SS a month ago and builder/SS did not tell us until I made inquiry to the certifier and found out myself:

For Interim Occupation Certificate – Unsatisfactory

Driveway grated drain to be installed. – Unsatisfactory
Complete steps to laundry and ensure height complies with BCA (Max 190 mm) and they are constant. – Unsatisfactory
Complete installation of driveway to garage. – Unsatisfactory
Complete installation of councils crossover & layback. – Unsatisfactory
Complete all steps to dwelling and ensure height complies with BCA ( Max. 190mm) and they are constant. – Unsatisfactory

For Final Occupation Certificate - – Unsatisfactory

Complete installation of approved retaining walls. – Unsatisfactory
Complete installation of approved soft landscaping. – Unsatisfactory

for point (1):
a)what exactly are the listed issues and what need to done to address the issues as we have not had a chance talking to the certifier and builder this evening. we are not sure what exactly need to be done and how long will take in order to get at least the interim occupation certificate, and we were planning to move straight in after handover from the rental property we are living at the moment.
b) we initially thought we could get interim occupation certificate to move in and then do driveway and crossover etc, but were shocked to see that we have to do these first before we can get interim occupation certificate and we were never once advised by the certifier or builder we need to complete these items first until today, does this sound right, shouldn't the builder/SS let us know once they have the report?
c) some items such as "Complete all steps to dwelling and ensure height complies with BCA ( Max. 190mm) and they are constant", isn't the builder suppose to make sure they have done and complied during the build rather than we/owner are responsible as it did not mention we owner have to do this in the contract?

(2) still waiting for engineering certificates for bricks overhang around the house, the reports were promised a month ago, but still no sign of them, and the builder's reason being: - "due to addition edge beam sparging, and once completed engineering will re-inspect and issue engineering certificates . The edge beam sparging part is news to us as we were not told until yesterday.

for point (2): we have some concerns whether there are hidden structural problems as we are still yet to receive the engineer's certificates and we are expect to hand over and settle the house tomorrow.

Please any advice / input is welcome as we are shocked to find out point (1) as we expect to move in straight after hand over because we are renting at the moment, and we have some concerns related to structure of the house in regards to point (2), and hence have a feeling maybe we are rushed to settle by the builder. Should we delay tomorrow's settlement or should we go ahead? any advice please!

Thanks you very much

KKPP

Hi KKPP,
For us M was responsible for organising the interim occupancy certificate. We also had problems with the laundry steps that M fixed in a day took a pic and sent it to the PCA to get the certificate issued. With regards to driveway, cross over, retaining walls etc, these were only required for the final occupancy certificate. According to M's contract the owner is responsible for these items.

If you have a DA approval this should clearly outline what is required for IOC and the final OC

viewtopic.php?t=78985

Hi All,

About to start building with Metricon on the North Shore in Sydney.

It been a long journey to get here so have decided to share and start writing my own blog and also to keep a record and document all things as they happen.

http://nsnewhaven.blogspot.com.au

All tips, comments, feedback welcome!

Cheers NomNomNom
Franky40
KKPP
Thanks Everyone,

PROBLEM in getting either interim occupation certificate or occupation certificate

Just as we were prepared to compromise issues related to painting, grouting and skirting etc, we are prepared to have our prehand over inspection and settlement booked for tomorrow, but now because the following, we are not sure we should settle because of some new development that we were not aware until today.

(1) Just found out from the private certifier this afternoon that we can not get either Interim Occupation Certificate or Occupation Certificate because the inspection report from the certifier as following, which was sent to our builder/SS a month ago and builder/SS did not tell us until I made inquiry to the certifier and found out myself:

Complete steps to laundry and ensure height complies with BCA (Max 190 mm) and they are constant. – Unsatisfactory
Complete all steps to dwelling and ensure height complies with BCA ( Max. 190mm) and they are constant. – Unsatisfactory

for point (1):
a)what exactly are the listed issues and what need to done to address the issues as we have not had a chance talking to the certifier and builder this evening. we are not sure what exactly need to be done and how long will take in order to get at least the interim occupation certificate, and we were planning to move straight in after handover from the rental property we are living at the moment.
b) we initially thought we could get interim occupation certificate to move in and then do driveway and crossover etc, but were shocked to see that we have to do these first before we can get interim occupation certificate and we were never once advised by the certifier or builder we need to complete these items first until today, does this sound right, shouldn't the builder/SS let us know once they have the report?
c) some items such as "Complete all steps to dwelling and ensure height complies with BCA ( Max. 190mm) and they are constant", isn't the builder suppose to make sure they have done and complied during the build rather than we/owner are responsible as it did not mention we owner have to do this in the contract?

(2) still waiting for engineering certificates for bricks overhang around the house, the reports were promised a month ago, but still no sign of them, and the builder's reason being: - "due to addition edge beam sparging, and once completed engineering will re-inspect and issue engineering certificates . The edge beam sparging part is news to us as we were not told until yesterday.

for point (2): we have some concerns whether there are hidden structural problems as we are still yet to receive the engineer's certificates and we are expect to hand over and settle the house tomorrow.

Please any advice / input is welcome as we are shocked to find out point (1) as we expect to move in straight after hand over because we are renting at the moment, and we have some concerns related to structure of the house in regards to point (2), and hence have a feeling maybe we are rushed to settle by the builder. Should we delay tomorrow's settlement or should we go ahead? any advice please!

Thanks you very much

KKPP

Hi KKPP,
For us M was responsible for organising the interim occupancy certificate. We also had problems with the laundry steps that M fixed in a day took a pic and sent it to the PCA to get the certificate issued. With regards to driveway, cross over, retaining walls etc, these were only required for the final occupancy certificate. According to M's contract the owner is responsible for these items.

If you have a DA approval this should clearly outline what is required for IOC and the final OC

viewtopic.php?t=78985

Thanks very much,

Is IOC Metricon's responsibility? Is this written in the contract? Or part of loan requirement?

We are in St George area, but we are using private certifier and do not know IOC requirements until today
KKPP
Franky40
KKPP
Thanks Everyone,

for point (1):

Thanks you very much

KKPP

Hi KKPP,

viewtopic.php?t=78985

Thanks very much,

Is IOC Metricon's responsibility? Is this written in the contract? Or part of loan requirement?

We are in St George area, but we are using private certifier and do not know IOC requirements until today

So I am assuming you did not engage Local Group through Metricon as your private certifier? Who did your construction certificate your own private certifier?

I am pretty sure the contract says organising IOC is Metricon's responsibility. Unless you signed a waiver when you engaged your own certifier.

If you went through a DA your council would have specified what needs to be done for IOC. It's very unusual for the council to request driveway, crossover etc to be completed.

It is not unusual for some people to move in without an IOC if they know they would get within a couple of weeks of moving in.

viewtopic.php?t=78985

Thanks Franky,

Quite stressed.

Metricon organised everything with a private certifier called New Home Building Certification Group, I assume a lot of M's clients use them through M.

Franky, did you get IOC or OC when M handed over the house to you from your experience?
KKPP
Thanks Franky,

Quite stressed.

Metricon organised everything with a private certifier called New Home Building Certification Group, I assume a lot of M's clients use them through M.

Franky, did you get IOC or OC when M handed over the house to you from your experience?

Hi KKPP,

Don't stress (I felt the same) it will all fall in place. I will PM you

viewtopic.php?t=78985

Thank you very much.
Hi Emmz,

M are very reluctant to put up temporary fencing till they are ready to start building. Due to insurance reasons.

I found this very frustrating, as I had given M a lot of money so far and are locked into having them build my house. Yet they wouldn't put a fence up and start insurance a month early

Also the builder next door to my land has been using my land as access to there property. and having been having deliveries on my land. I noticed today that the crossover is cracked. Has this happened to anyone else ?

What is my best course of action ?
pj87
Hi Emmz,

M are very reluctant to put up temporary fencing till they are ready to start building. Due to insurance reasons.

I found this very frustrating, as I had given M a lot of money so far and are locked into having them build my house. Yet they wouldn't put a fence up and start insurance a month early

Also the builder next door to my land has been using my land as access to there property. and having been having deliveries on my land. I noticed today that the crossover is cracked. Has this happened to anyone else ?

Thanks pj for the reply

Yes this was our concern as well. We have 3 small lots alongside us and I'm thinking once they build they'll use our land as access and prone to dumping since ours is a bigger lot. I don't mind access as long as no damages and they clean up after themselves.
So hoping to get fencing up earlier and hoping M don't take too long to start. Our CSC said allow them up to 8 weeks. One resident in our estate had to wait 14 weeks, and he's a straightforward single

I would've cancelled my contract.
pj87
Hi Emmz,

Yeah, we have to put up fencing after demolition until M takes over the construction. We used M's fencing contractor so that the same fences can remain during the build and the monthly invoices will get sent to M to pay instead when the bill starts...

Quirmeball1280
pj87
Hi Emmz,

Yeah, we have to put up fencing after demolition until M takes over the construction. We used M's fencing contractor so that the same fences can remain during the build and the monthly invoices will get sent to M to pay instead when the bill starts...

Hmm I will enquire about this next week. Seems to me that M isn't as efficient as the other builders on the estate.
I've been very impressed with CH they seem to get the ball rolling under 4 weeks.

Hoping M don't disappoint when it's our time
Can anyone advise whether M allowed any changes to be made during their build?

I have just noticed I have missed an internal pier smack bang in our entry just in front of our stairs which wasn't in the display home.

I totally missed it on our plans and only noticed it at frame stage. I can't believe I didn't notice this on our plans, it will really affect the open look of our entry foyer

I really want to get rid of it and am assuming it's not structural as it's not in the display but then again why would they even put it in the plans if it's not structural?

So disappointed in myself for not picking this up and at M for sticking a pier practically in the middle of a foyer.

To make matters worse I have no site supervisor to discuss this with as he is MIA and apparently his work is being handled by another site supervisor who already has a whole heap of builds to look after.

We've had perfect weather and no movement on site all week.

Hopefully next week will be better.

Welcome to our new Metricon Henderson

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=81978

https://metriconhenderson.wordpress.com

M and T

I have just noticed I have missed an internal pier smack bang in our entry just in front of our stairs which wasn't in the display home.

I totally missed it on our plans and only noticed it at frame stage. I can't believe I didn't notice this on our plans, it will really affect the open look of our entry foyer

I really want to get rid of it and am assuming it's not structural as it's not in the display but then again why would they even put it in the plans if it's not structural?

So disappointed in myself for not picking this up and at M for sticking a pier practically in the middle of a foyer.

To make matters worse I have no site supervisor to discuss this with as he is MIA and apparently his work is being handled by another site supervisor who already has a whole heap of builds to look after.

That sucks M and T, hope you can still make the change. I'm sure we will miss stuff when we start build - it's so hard to pick up everything in the plans. Is your CSC still around or do they go after your file is handed over to the construction team?

Metricon Liberty 45 in Ryde NSW
viewtopic.php?t=82846
Re: Glendale 38/39 - What do you guys think of extending width of lounge room by 600mm and converting into a theatre? (From 3.4×4.5 to 4x4.5)

Quirmeball1280
M and T

That sucks M and T, hope you can still make the change. I'm sure we will miss stuff when we start build - it's so hard to pick up everything in the plans. Is your CSC still around or do they go after your file is handed over to the construction team?

viewtopic.php?t=82846

Thanks Q, I'm sure you won't miss anything so obvious!

CSC is long gone, we went through 3 or 4 - I think we were just so picky and had so many issues, errors and delays that we kept getting passed on to other people.

A rant from my side as well.

We went through our selections at Studio M following the signing of the Preliminary Contract as per our request. At various stages we weren't aware of the costs of certain upgrades we were looking to add to the contract, such as upgrade costs for higher category stone benchtops, upgraded profile of roof tiles, adding utility/microwave cupboard tower, window splashback to kitchen etc. We were under the impression we would get some semblance of idea about the upgrade costs during the selections. But this was not the case.

Now, we have a contract document with these inclusions with a staggering final cost which has not just stepped over our budget but blown it away to smithereens. While i agree we succumbed to our temptations, my question is, why are upgrade costs not hinted/informed atleast at the time of selection? I understand these cannot be explained on weekend visits to Studio M, and the infinite choices make it hard for the sales consultant as well unless you know EXACTLY what you are looking for.

While they are able to provide the upgrade costs immediately for the tiles, carpets and electricals, what's so hard in providing upgrade costs for the other selection items? Atleast being made aware of a range will help make the decision to avoid some items straight away. Helps save time for both the customer, as well as the contracts/pricing team.

For price sensitive customers who are already stretched to the limits, these upgrade costs are killing. I haven't gotten to see my contract as yet, as sending me a soft copy of the contract seems like a difficult task. If it isnt sent to me in the next day or two, i would only get to see it when we visit the SC over the weekend. Am already pulling my hair out in frustration. And yup, this is just the admin phase.
M and T

Hi M & T,
You can still ask, pretty sure they will give you the standard "no structural changes". If it isn't structural then they may be able to reduce it or remove it but it will involve a lot of arguing. I have been told that any voids upstairs not being used they may able able to be removed but don't think they will allow anything downstairs.

Do you have photos of it and the area around it?
M and T
Quirmeball1280
M and T

viewtopic.php?t=82846

Thanks Q, I'm sure you won't miss anything so obvious!

CSC is long gone, we went through 3 or 4 - I think we were just so picky and had so many issues, errors and delays that we kept getting passed on to other people.

Your file should now have a construction admin person. Find out who that is and they'll be able to help you.

Our Nolan
viewtopic.php?p=1516376%23p1516376
Related
13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

15/03/2024
Metricon Lumiere Colour Sceme

Building A New House

We don’t live in VIC so want to know the exterior colours of Lumiere display so we can see it at the paint shop. Not building with Metricon so my request went…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum