Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

First Build with Summit Perth WA

Page 19 of 20
vanessah2015
Summitlovin
Has anyone had any experience or know of anyone who has had experience with bricks being chipped and in turn defected due to excessive cleaning or due care not being taken? This is some of the damage done to my bricks which my inspector picked up and to be honest, your eye is really drawn to the damage due to the brick choice.

That really sucks, and it’s quite noticeable to
have summit said how they might fix it? I know we asked home group about changing our outside tap but they said it would be knocking out a brick and would be grey mortar and it would’ve stuck out like a sore thumb
/quote]
Not yet, i did ask today for some feedback so waiting on that. The inspector said they may have to knock out the bricks and replace it. I would prefer this is done as i paid for things to be done properly & i think they should've sorted this out as soon as it was evident instead of waiting until the end.
We have had a couple of face bricks replaced during our build and the repairs have been good. We are however over them washing the bricks so much (again this week) as each time they appear to fade and show scratches, which is probably caused by the cream morter.
Choosy
We have had a couple of face bricks replaced during our build and the repairs have been good. We are however over them washing the bricks so much (again this week) as each time they appear to fade and show scratches, which is probably caused by the cream morter.

Good to know that it can be done and that it has been done well. I *think* my bricks have only been washed once during the build to remove the concrete and sand off them
Summitlovin
Choosy

Good to know that it can be done and that it has been done well. I *think* my bricks have only been washed once during the build to remove the concrete and sand off them

Hopefully the damaged bricks are in a double brick section and not a single brick wall with render on the other side.
Choosy
Summitlovin
Choosy

Hopefully the damaged bricks are in a double brick section and not a single brick wall with render on the other side.

Thanks Choosy, pretty sure it’s a double brick wall. Summit are waiting for Austral bricks to get back to them. Paving in driveway has been fixed and in better news, I pick up my keys tomorrow!
Lucky you got your crossover done before handover, one more sleep.
Choosy
Lucky you got your crossover done before handover, one more sleep.

Yep, very lucky. As it is council land i don't see why it couldn't be done early anyway. If it was something that directly impacts the build i can see why it would be an issue. Now i've got to line up the lights, gate, security door and antenna. Internet has been ordered. Painting will be done on saturday so that is one less thing! Carpet call have said that they didn't order enough flooring......i'm in talks with them at the moment about when this will be finished as the flooring has to come from over east.

Picked up my keys on Friday afternoon! Since then the Lighting has been installed, solar panels are in, security doors and gates are on, plumbing/storm water pipes have been capped, painting finished, cctv installed, internet set up, final plan for front landscaping approved, new couch delivered, bed was supposed to be delivered Saturday but wasn't so that is now Thursday, chipped paving replaced and i have moved 95% of my belongings. Thankfully the fridge fit in the fridge recess, that was my biggest worry! Still outstanding is the chipped bricks which apparently Summit are waiting to hear from austral bricks about a quote and if they will wear the cost to replace them.

After the crazy of the last 5 days i can't wait to just sit on my couch and soak in the fact i now have my own home
Congratulations! What a busy 5 days!

Really like your gate - who did that for you? Was it expensive?
Wow!! Well done that’s a busy few days!!
Looks amazing

nicolac34
Congratulations! What a busy 5 days!

Really like your gate - who did that for you? Was it expensive?

It’s been hectic! I’m ready for a holiday!
Thanks, beards security did the gate and security doors. I highly recommend them! Great service and range of options for the doors and gate. The slay gates are a little more expensive than a straight colour bond gate I’ve found but contact them and see what they can do for you 😊
tinkster
Wow!! Well done that’s a busy few days!!
Looks amazing

Thank you, it has been very busy but it’s worth it when it starts to come together
Congrats on the milestone! Did summit do the gate and your paving?

I just had my first PCI meeting today with Summit also. Few little things to fix up but nothing major.
fivespice

I just had my first PCI meeting today with Summit also. Few little things to fix up but nothing major.

Thanks fivespice. Summit didn’t do my gate, security doors, panels or lighting. They did do my paving however only the driveway, front porch and alfresco.

Glad to hear your PCI went relatively smoothly! What design are you building?
Summitlovin
fivespice

Thanks fivespice. Summit didn’t do my gate, security doors, panels or lighting. They did do my paving however only the driveway, front porch and alfresco.

Glad to hear your PCI went relatively smoothly! What design are you building?

Oh that's great.

It's a custom 3x2 design but nothing too crazy or unique.
Well done getting the trades lined up and getting most of your belongings moved in.
Choosy
Well done getting the trades lined up and getting most of your belongings moved in.

Thanks Choosy!
Went home today to find that Austral brick have delivered more bricks, looks like Summit are going to be pulling out my chipped bricks & replacing them. Happy days!
Summitlovin
Choosy

Thanks Choosy!
Went home today to find that Austral brick have delivered more bricks, looks like Summit are going to be pulling out my chipped bricks & replacing them. Happy days!

That is great news, glad to see them looking after you.
Well done on getting in your house and sorting out so many trades. How scary is it when you question whether your fridge will fit. We did that with everything we have bought haha buy now and measure later because it should fit is a risky game.
J278
Well done on getting in your house and sorting out so many trades. How scary is it when you question whether your fridge will fit. We did that with everything we have bought haha buy now and measure later because it should fit is a risky game.

Thanks J278, i won't say that it was a stress free event but it's done now. All that is left is front landscaping, back landscaping & i've decided i would like my front window tinted so people can see out but not in. Front Landscaping is supposedly going to be done this week but they've only done the soil removal and retic box so i won't hold my breath at this point. Yesterday Summit fixed some of the bricks, although i've noted not every single brick was replaced but it does look better than it did. Here is my landscaping plan

Related
12/02/2024
Suggestions whether to build my granny flat first or house?

Building A New House

hi guys. Please be nice. First time home builder in Qld. I would like some feedback please on whether I should build my granny flat first before my main house at the…

30/05/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Soak wells and electrical run in happening this week! Summit has told me they will relocate the laundry plumbing after the walls are completed. I'm actually pretty happy…

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum