Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 171 of 862
[quote="mel_mox"]Wohooooo PCI next Tuesday!!
Am very pleased with PD

Congrats mel_mox. The pics on your blog look great. I love your colours and the timber floor colour. I may be wrong but the flooring looks like the colour of Kempas or Merbau. Well done!
Contract signed! And just informed land tiled today woo!
Nice.. for those who want to play with there house.. try this website..

http://www.sweethome3d.com/download.jsp

Copy your floorplan into the application, and then just draw all the walls, you can then play around with landscaping
Back from our contract signing, boy there are a lot of pages to sign and initial.
In the end it went well. We were upset to find out we couldn't have our tiled niches something to do with the location of the showers and the plumbing. We also couldn't have overhead cupboards around the rangehood due to space. A little annoying that they left it until the contract signing to tell us this. But I guess there is nothing we can do about it now.
Hopetoun told us we couldn't have the overhead cupboards but when I asked my BC in sept she said that we can and they just haven't been drawn on the plans yet. And nobody mentioned anything about the niches being a problem until we asked why they weren't on the plan. Now we are told we can no longer make any changes. So I guess we better work out other ways of storing soap and shampoo etc in our showers.

Plus side is we came in under budget. We were even $3000 under our original quote and since then we added concrete to the alfresco and 3 brick piers and upgraded our electricals. At first I was worried the contract might be missing something but we went through and couldn't see any problems other than our missing niches and they were only cheap.
Oh how we will miss the niches
[quote="Wateman"]Back from our contract signing, boy there are a lot of pages to sign and initial.
In the end it went well. We were upset to find out we couldn't have our tiled niches something to do with the location of the showers and the plumbing. We also couldn't have overhead cupboards around the rangehood due to space. A little annoying that they left it until the contract signing to tell us this. But I guess there is nothing we can do about it now.
Hopetoun told us we couldn't have the overhead cupboards but when I asked my BC in sept she said that we can and they just haven't been drawn on the plans yet. And nobody mentioned anything about the niches being a problem until we asked why they weren't on the plan. Now we are told we can no longer make any changes. So I guess we better work out other ways of storing soap and shampoo etc in our showers.

Plus side is we came in under budget. We were even $3000 under our original quote and since then we added concrete to the alfresco and 3 brick piers and upgraded our electricals. At first I was worried the contract might be missing something but we went through and couldn't see any problems other than our missing niches and they were only cheap.
/quote]

Is your niche on a internal wall and the shower head on the same wall? Thats the only way I can see it being a problem.
[quote="Wateman"]Back from our contract signing, boy there are a lot of pages to sign and initial.

/quote]

But there are niches in the displays??
Wateman
Contract signed! And just informed land tiled today woo!

HUGE congratulations....wont be long now!!!

Re the niche: I dont understand it, see if Ebony can help you out.
Hi everybody due to change of circumstances, I am looking to sell my 448sqm block in Williams Landing Kingwell neighbourhood by nomination. If you are interested or know anyone who is interested, please message me. Thanks!

/quote]

I was told the same initially. The argument was If you have 2 free sides of wall you should be able to have niche on one side of the wall and shower head on the other side regardless one wall being an external wall. In the end, PD agree to put the niche back in. This was at tender btw and in writing. Hopefully it wont change at contract.
visine
Wateman
Back from our contract signing, boy there are a lot of pages to sign and initial.

/quote]

I was told the same initially. The argument was If you have 2 free sides of wall you should be able to have niche on one side of the wall and shower head on the other side regardless one wall being an external wall. In the end, PD agree to put the niche back in. This was at tender btw and in writing. Hopefully it wont change at contract.

Which wall did they put it in? It can't go in the external wall due to insulation requirements, and it can't go on the internal wall with the plumbing?? Looking at Waterman's plan, there isn't anywhere else to put the niche?
*frosty*
visine
Wateman

/quote]

Which wall did they put it in? It can't go in the external wall due to insulation requirements, and it can't go on the internal wall with the plumbing?? Looking at Waterman's plan, there isn't anywhere else to put the niche?

I only have 2 walls to my shower (as normal) one is external, the other internal..

Niche on the internal, plumbing on the external.
Hi Rups, Looking at your electrical plan, did you get double GPO for upright oven as standards and hotplate as extra? Will you be having GPO on the glass splashback for hotplate?
humble

I only have 2 walls to my shower (as normal) one is external, the other internal..

Niche on the internal, plumbing on the external.

I have this as well. There shouldn't be any issue with plumbing on the external unless if you only have one wall. Niche cant go under shower head.
Yeah it sucks but unfortunately I don't think there is anything we can do about it. Both our bathroom and ensuite have the plumbing on the internal wall. Looking at them I don't think they would work shifted around to go on the external wall.
Why can't niches go on external walls?
I wish there was a way to make it work, my partner especially loved the niches.
Has anybody had theirs go on an external wall?
Wateman
Yeah it sucks but unfortunately I don't think there is anything we can do about it. Both our bathroom and ensuite have the plumbing on the internal wall. Looking at them I don't think they would work shifted around to go on the external wall.
I wish there was a way to make it work, my partner especially loved the niches

Hi Waterman,

You can have niches on external. We have a double niche in our ensuite. They wouldn't do it for us as it was going to be on an external wall but we kept pushing it because we knew it could be done. They are just being lazy and can't be bothered doing the extra work. We told PD they can build the wall out 90mm on the external wall to create a niche which meant they moved the whole shower forward by 90mm. In the end we got it. You have some cooling off days. Call them tomorrow asap and tell them you will cancel. Say you know it can be done. Tell them to do the same as what they did to ours.

All the best.
[Eli-kay edited 900mm to 90mm]
visine
Hi Rups, Looking at your electrical plan, did you get double GPO for upright oven as standards and hotplate as extra? Will you be having GPO on the glass splashback for hotplate?

Hi Visine,

We didn't change anything from standard for kitchen appliances. Looking at the plan, there is a 15A single circuit which I assume will power the oven, cooktop and rangehood. Maybe the plans are marked up so it is clear to the installer what the points are for?

We haven't got any power points on the splashback at all.
eli-kay123

Hi Waterman,

You can have niches on external. We have a double niche in our ensuite. They wouldn't do it for us as it was going to be on an external wall but we kept pushing it because we knew it could be done. They are just being lazy and can't be bothered doing the extra work. We told PD they can build the wall out 900mm on the external wall to create a niche which meant they moved the whole shower forward by 900mm. In the end we got it. You have some cooling off days. Call them tomorrow asap and tell them you will cancel. Say you know it can be done. Tell them to do the same as what they did to ours.

All the best.

Is 900mm correct or did u mean 90mm? I don't think our bathrooms are big enough to move a wall that much :/
Wateman
I wish there was a way to make it work, my partner especially loved the niches.
Has anybody had theirs go on an external wall?

Here is our niche on the external wall. The shower head is on the other wall though.

Here is the plans for the niche. They've built a false wall in order to put the niche in. See how the false wall dips out in "Ensuite A" drawing to create the niche.
http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y349/eli-kay/Image5.jpg

Looking at your ensuite plan it looks tight. Will they have room to move 90mm and not touch your sink.
Wateman
eli-kay123

Hi Waterman,

You can have niches on external. We have a double niche in our ensuite. They wouldn't do it for us as it was going to be on an external wall but we kept pushing it because we knew it could be done. They are just being lazy and can't be bothered doing the extra work. We told PD they can build the wall out 900mm on the external wall to create a niche which meant they moved the whole shower forward by 900mm. In the end we got it. You have some cooling off days. Call them tomorrow asap and tell them you will cancel. Say you know it can be done. Tell them to do the same as what they did to ours.

All the best.

Is 900mm correct or did u mean 90mm? I don't think our bathrooms are big enough to move a wall that much :/

Sorry yes it should be 90mm.
eli-kay123
Wateman
eli-kay123

Hi Waterman,

All the best.

Sorry yes it should be 90mm.

The only way I can see it being done is shortening you WIR wall by 90mm and moving the sink and shower towards the WIR to fit the niche. It's only 90mm so wouldn't lose much in the WIR. You should be able to move the walls. It's only paperwork stage. The draftsman can do this in 10 mins. After our contract signing we had the cooling off period and we were allowed to make changes but not structurally. This isn't a structural change, you are moving a wall over by 90mm.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum