Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 164 of 862
hello,

For a standard foxtel point you need 1 x coaxial cable and 1 x telephone point for movie purchasing ( NOT DATA )
For a tv point you need 1 x coax cable
For a HD foxtel point you need 2 x coaxial cables and 1 x telephone point ( NOT DATA )

so if you require an outlet in your lounge that needs hd foxtel, tv and data you will need:
3 x runs of coax, 1 x cat-5, 1 x cat-6 or cat-5

heres a tip if you want to save some money...
If you going to be using foxtel, all the FTA channels are on the foxtel services anyway.. so you dont really need the extra coax for normal television..

And if you are worried that you are going to be left with no tv points if you decide cancel foxtel, Done be... because you already have coaxs run into the ceiling for the foxtel, these can be VERY easily changed to normal television points..

I hope this made sense.. and cleared it all up.

chris
Hi all

Not sure if anyone can help me here. I've started my build last week with the slab to be poured tomorrow. We have not had our SS contact us to date. Is this normal?

I have been in contact with my BC but she has been telling me for the last two weeks now that he will contact me 'soon'.

Any response will be greatly appreciated.

C
FHO_hl
Hi all

Not sure if anyone can help me here. I've started my build last week with the slab to be poured tomorrow. We have not had our SS contact us to date. Is this normal?

I have been in contact with my BC but she has been telling me for the last two weeks now that he will contact me 'soon'.

C

My SS rang me after the slab was poured.
I would recommend that you speak to your SS before any work starts. There will be many versions of the plans and it’s best to ensure that everyone is on the same wavelength.

Your relationship with your SS is very important.
FHO_hl
Hi all

C

Can they start the building construction without showing you the final drawings ??

Can someone please let me know if PD provides one with another set of drawings apart from the ones on the contract.
J & C
FHO_hl
Hi all

C

Can they start the building construction without showing you the final drawings ??

Can someone please let me know if PD provides one with another set of drawings apart from the ones on the contract.

Hi J & C

We received our final drawings last week, a day before our construction was due to start. The letter was back dated to the week before that. I suspect our BC is slow in terms of paperwork and such. Luckily the final drawings were OK.
FHO_hl
Hi all

C
FHO_hl
Hi all

C

Hi FHO_hl,
Congrats on your slab being poured today – that’s great! Tstr1a is right in saying that it’s really important to have a great relationship with your SS, and you’ve got nothing to worry about if they haven’t called you, they will call you shortly. Have you started up a blog yet for your build? Cheers, Ebony
Well I received two pieces of important news yesterday.

1. My SS has left the company and i have a new one (would have been nice to know that last week when I met my SS on site!)

2. I received my fixing invoice.

Anyone have any ideas how long the rest might take????????????
Audreyand Oscar
Well I received two pieces of important news yesterday.

1. My SS has left the company and i have a new one (would have been nice to know that last week when I met my SS on site!)

2. I received my fixing invoice.

Anyone have any ideas how long the rest might take????????????

Hi Audreyand Oscar,
I’m sorry to hear that your SS has left PD, I’m sure your BC would’ve told you as soon as possible that they were leaving. Have you been in contact with your new SS yet? When you ask ‘how long the rest might take??’ are you referring to the fixing stage? This depends on the size of your house and what your selections were, have you asked your BC for a rough estimate on how long it should take? They would be the best person to ask. Let me know if you need me to help. Cheers, Ebony
Thanks Ebony.

I actually have not heard from my BC at all - i just had a message on my phone yesterday from my new SS!

I actually sent an email to her yesterday about a few other concerns I have but still have heard nothing - she is usually really good!

So far no one is being very helpful with dates at all which is really hard as i am doing my own floors and need to give them an absolute minimum 4 weeks notice to install them.
Should have bricks onsite in 2 days..
Yay Humble!

I found bricks about the most exciting (until I saw the walls up inside!)
humble
Should have bricks onsite in 2 days..

Congrats Humble... Once the brickies start they will brick up the entire house in 7 days. Electrical and heating rough-ins only takes a day or two (depends how many additions you selected at the electrical appointment).

Then within a week or two plaster will be installed.
OK - this may be the straw that broke the camels back, but before I crack it and kick this whole company to the curb, I wanted to see if what I'm being told is correct. I have 2 questions -

When you have your colour and electrical appointment, I was told if you have any changes within 48 hours to contact Hopetoun direct, but after that you need to go through your BC. My question is, are you allowed to make any changes after the 48 hours from your original appointment?
My BC Just emailed me saying 'we cannot accept any changes after the 48 hour time frame'

Now even if the above is true, and I seriously doubt that it is, I just received an updated copy of my electrical plans on Friday(my appointment was on 2nd September, and a change was made with hopetoun within 48 hours, however I never saw this change on a plan until Friday 23rd). There was a minor mistake on the plan, so I emailed by BC to fix the error, and also asked to upgrade my data plan and add a couple more points. Her reply suprized me.

Now is she wrong? Or is she telling the truth, and I'm over-reacting to this?
I don't think I have the energy to complain to them again, I'd rather throw in the towel and cancel the whole lot, I'm sick of everything being a battle.
Wateman, push harder.. I have had things change, it gets easier once your build starts, I deal directly with the SS. For everything!
Wateman, up until you sign the contract everything can be changed (except structual changes).

As to speak to the construction manager....

In fairness I do understand their policy.... imagin everyone changing stuff.... the house will never get built.
You're right, I understand that changing too much would make things difficult on their end. To be honest I don't want to change anything, just because it's all been too difficult already, and I know changes are only going to make things worse. The less I have to deal with my BC the better..
I only decided to make this change when I noticed that they had drawn in my wiring wrong, as I figured they had to change the plan anyway, otherwise I was going to just leave it. I would have changed it within 48 hours too if somebody had been able to give me a straight answer to a couple of questions I had, but even that took until Friday.
I dont know - maybe I am being difficult and annoying! I'd hate to go through this with a big house with a lot more rooms and things to get right.
My advice is to get it all correct now because it to hard to change later.

Go straight to the top and speak to the construction manager. The BC can’t not dictate how your house will look.

I must be really lucky, my BC is awesome. Nothing is too hard.

So far from what I have experience during our build, I can say that PD is a quality builder (trust me I’m really detailed and fussy). My dad, who goes and checks out the site regularly, thinks they are they are a top builder. But I must say the PD are more expensive than the rest but you do get what you pay for.
Hi Wateman

I was able to change our colour/electrical selection up until the contract date. My old BC who has since moved on was very accommodating (can't say the same about the new one). You will need to be persistant or maybe try contacting someone higher up as others have suggested.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum