Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Whats your Biggest hate in New building plans

Page 16 of 16
We pushed our pantry and cabinets over fridge to the ceiling it was under $300 and one of the best things we did!

As for narrow blocks I agree completely!! We have the exact block you mentioned and many of the plans we looked at made the house into one long corridor! I feel we avoided this with our house, I hope

We have our laundry off the kitchen but you don't really have to enter the kitchen to get to it so love it! Though we added a door, who wants a laundry off the kitchen/living/dining without a door!! But do hate designs where the kitchen has to be walked through to get to things! Not safe or practical!!

As for kitchen design it seems its all about aesthetics and symmetry rather then practical use. We pushed our sink to one end of the bench and stove is off to one side of the other bench to give two large working spaces! They centred everything originally which meant no usable workspace!!

Though I often find designs with 4 bedrooms, study, theatre, games and activity a little excessive! Apparently Australians are having less kids so what are the rooms being used for? Though I understand for some, particularly those working from home they are needed
our blocks are getting smaller and we are building on more of them to have all these rooms and no backyard.... Tough I hear Australians have the largest average house size in the world!! Even our tiny 3x2 on a 300m2 block is bigger at 122m2 then the average English family home....

Not considering where the microwave is going!! Almost everyone has one and yet there is never a provision for one!!
Agree with you on everything fmac!
Hate showers with 'viewing windows' (I once walked into a house you could see straight through the alfresco into the master and straight into the glass container in the middle of the room which they called the shower!)

Hate no bench space. Some of them I wonder how you would even plate up for 4 people.

I personally don't understand scullerys and laundry and kitchen all being within a 3m radius of each other. Some plans literally have 3 sinks in 3 meters. Surely a laundry/scullery could kinda be morphed into one utility room? Haha.
To each their own I guess!
Though actually my favourite when we were looking at display homes was the toilet with the clear glass door!! Strangest thing I'd ever seen, at least frost the glass and give some privacy
J54

We have that in our house now, but use that space for more storage...I wonder if what the price difference is between extending the cupboards up or putting in a baulkhead. Baulkheads seem like more waste to me.

The cost of a bulkhead is literally a piece of 18mm mdf.

There is no extra plaster, cornice, painting etc.

Installing taller cupboards and bulkheads should only cost a couple of hundred per linear meter at most.

kiwi
I like to wave to my neighbours each morning.
This will save some time... Multi tasking etc.

Heeheehee! Oh that is gold. I love even more that you're not keen on poo hands to open doors, but it's ok to wave with

I think most of my hates have already been covered. But I think my biggest hate is the amount of 'upgrading' you have to do to get the design to be a semi-decent house. How about you include everything and then I work backwards to remove the sh!t I don't want?
I really really hate that everything half decent is a bloody upgrade!! UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE! LOL. That's all I hear when going to any selections. Someone give me a shipping container to live in i'm over it!
Veronica33
I really really hate that everything half decent is a bloody upgrade!! UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE! LOL. That's all I hear when going to any selections. Someone give me a shipping container to live in i'm over it!

But I'd live in this shipping container.....http://www.news.com.au/realestate/buyin ... 6747384872
My hate is not having the right shape house for the block. I understand that you need 1.5 m down the sides, buts it's when the block is a funny shape and the house isn't design to fit the block to have less dead space.
With the cost of land these day you should be able to use what you paid for.
On a rectangle block you put a house that is the same shape. On a triangle block you put a triangle house.
That is my hate
I like to use what I paid big money for!
Do you seriously want to live in a triangular house?
Danois

ROFL this forum is comedy gold at times!!
Toilets and bathrooms without windows...I want fresh air goddamit!! So many plans require me to play around with them so the toilet or bathroom is on an external wall.
wakudoki
Danois

ROFL this forum is comedy gold at times!!

Well, he did say he wanted a house to fit a triangular piece of land and wanted it to not waste any real estate.

Edit:
On second read, he actually stated out-right that he wanted a "triangle" house.
Cooper05
Toilets and bathrooms without windows...I want fresh air goddamit!! So many plans require me to play around with them so the toilet or bathroom is on an external wall.

Yes I totally agree. Current house we are renting the main toilet, laundry and ensuite are internally rooms and have no window
I hate it!!!
Danois

Yes. We have a triangular floor plan, but all the rooms are square/ rectangular shaped. We have a large block so we could have built a pentagon if we wanted........ Now that would have been interesting.

Anyway my biggest hates are

Under sized Alfresco areas. Marketed as an alfresco for a 4 seater table, but no allowance for moving around the table once people are seated.
I hate those open study rooms right by the front door... Either put a door on it and make it usable to become a room or don't have it.
Honestly, they have a desk, bookshelf and a globe or something "study" like in the display homes, but realistically if that was an actual study it would be full of paperwork, empty coffee mugs and power cords.
Do you really want that to be what you see as soon as you open the door?!
Not sure if anyone else has had this problem. When questioning prices on there upgrades (toilets, basins and bathtubs) I was told "its currently with the estimating department" Now my first thought - Should this be a straight forward answer - the cost of a gold range bath tub is $.... Wait what exactly are you estimating??? How much you plan on charging me depending on how much money you think I have?? Shouldn't it be a set price! Maybe someone else has a better explanation because I cannot understand why im waiting on the estimating dept to tell me how much a gold range bathtub is going to be!!
Totally 100% agree

deluxes
I hate those open study rooms right by the front door... Either put a door on it and make it usable to become a room or don't have it.
Honestly, they have a desk, bookshelf and a globe or something "study" like in the display homes, but realistically if that was an actual study it would be full of paperwork, empty coffee mugs and power cords.
Perth_Euro
Totally 100% agree

deluxes

deluxes

Oh Yes! X 4. Got one in the rental house we are in. Near front door & looks exactly like you realistically described with leads running to router, printer, 2 laptops and haphazard piles of paperwork related to building and fittings! Also has two trikes taking up the postage size floor space, apparently it's the perfect "toddler garage" which is probably the best use for it
I love this thread! Mostly because it makes me realise how everyone's tastes are so different...all part of the fun

I hate:
Open ensuites - just generally impractical
Master bed at the back of the house (I want to be able to sticky beak out the window when I hear strange noises at night!)
Flooring that goes from tiles or hard floor to carpet back to hard floor
When the first thing you see when you walk in the front door is a black wall or awkward looking space
Side and back alfrescos - I prefer it all in one space out the back!

We do have an open study and it's straight on the right as you walk in to the house! I actually love it. I always loved the study in our old house and it was in a bedroom so I would always leave the door open because it was such a beautiful room. I'm a bit in love with books and stuff though so I love having some special ones on display as kind of a study/reading room
Related
26/04/2024
What's Your Biggest Issue with Windows? Poll

Building A New House

I would really appreciate if if you can complete the poll about windows, if you have a story I would love to hear it. Please share…

2/11/2023
Coral Homes-can they shrink plans?

Building A New House

Ask the council if there is a chance of getting build over easement exemption. Sometimes easements are unused and 24cm is not all that much. Good luck. And yes any builder…

18/02/2024
Electrical and plumbing plans post hand-over?

Building A New House

If there have been changes, variations, during construction then the drawings should be revised, the building permit amended and the current, as built drawings given to…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum