Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Build with Rawson Homes

Page 15 of 16
I don't think it even went to that stage, they are saying they are fixing the plan, apparently it has been months. He went to the Estate other day he found every one is constructing except Rawson Homes. Sites where Rawson Homes are supposed to built are empty , he is not sure if it is matter of coincidence or the builder has some issues.

Sorry, i misunderstood, so the plans have not been released yet and therefore no SS assigned yet. From my experience, the pre construction bit took a while. Expect at least 2wk turn around from drafting - this is just based on my experience.

2 weeks lol I think he paid deposit last year sometime Oct 2014

Desibloke
Hi Guys,
One of my friend is trying his best to get Rawson Homes build the house they promised in Aug 2014. They have paid 5% deposit shame they didn't even start construction. He is feeling deceived by them as they keep making false promises . I said to them go to Fair trading and get it sorted. Poor bugger he signed building contract last year.
BTW they have top class display homes, we were extremely impressed by their finish and we thought we will get our house built by them but looking at my friends situation we are finalising our home with other builder.

There could be lots of factors in this. Land could have taken ages to register. Could have been issues with Council approving.

I admit Rawson are slow (we signed in March and it looks like we will start building mid September) but not all things are under the control.
Don't get me wrong they have beautiful homes but looking what they have done to my friend , I have chose to build my house with Metricon, they have send me draft plan under two weeks, we are making few changes to our two storey home

Desibloke
Don't get me wrong they have beautiful homes but looking what they have done to my friend , I have chose to build my house with Metricon, they have send me draft plan under two weeks, we are making few changes to our two storey home

I would love to know the actual facts of your friend ie when his land registered - how long council took etc

Metricon also make good homes - we nearly signed with them but Rawson was better value for us and more willing to adjust plans.
Desibloke
2 weeks lol I think he paid deposit last year sometime Oct 2014

If you look at my timeline, i paid my deposit of $1200 june 2013 and didnt sign my contract till july2014. More than a year because among other things it took that long for estimating to get back with the cost of variations we wanted upfront and then the plans to get drawn correctly to our specifications. But we wanted the Balmoral that much that we didnt mind the time it took for as long as the plans are correct when they start building it. Our only gripe was we paid $8k for a price increase variation.

Their finishing is excellent , they charge you bit more but you get the quality. Their basic home has tonnes of inclusions.
My friend is still in shock such a good builder failed to provide final plan but got the building contract signed and took 5% deposit and forget about commencement of construction.
. My friend still hasn't made decision to approach fair trading.

Keep us upto date, will be interesting to know who is your friend Pre Construction Administrator. It is PCA's responsibility upto the point plans are released from council signed by owners and project documents sent to owners and SS. Your friend should have also scheduled colour and electrical if contract has been signed.

He said he had one catchup since he signed BC in 2014. Land registered Jan 2015. He said there were 40 H & L were released and almost everyone has commenced construction couple of months ago

CalvinHobbes
Your friend should have also scheduled colour and electrical if contract has been signed.

If brought as a house land package they do things slightly differently in that you sign the contract with what ever inclusion package you choose. This is done ASAP after you commit by paying $2k. Then all your own selections then become variations. Though they don't charge a variation charge for variations, just the cost.

This is how I've done it, so had no tender presentation, as the package is basically then tender. I am now at about day 70 since signing the build contract, under the contract they are meant to have council approval within 90 days of signing, and once the land settles and I prove I have finance construction should be start 2 or 3 weeks there after. Well according to the contract anyway.
Do encourage him to post to this forum so he can share his experience and make that info available to everyone. There are a lot of B team players in their pre construction team as Steve as mentioned. But he needs to escalate this to the manager of whoever he is dealing with. Go through that process and if he hits a brick wall then he can think about taking it to fair trading.

Do encourage him to post to this forum so he can share his experience and make that info available to everyone. There are a lot of B team players in their pre construction team as Steve as mentioned. But he needs to escalate this to the manager of whoever he is dealing with. Go through that process and if he hits a brick wall then he can think about taking it to fair trading.

CalvinHobbes
Your friend should have also scheduled colour and electrical if contract has been signed.

If brought as a house land package they do things slightly differently in that you sign the contract with what ever inclusion package you choose. This is done ASAP after you commit by paying $2k. Then all your own selections then become variations. Though they don't charge a variation charge for variations, just the cost.

This is how I've done it, so had no tender presentation, as the package is basically then tender. I am now at about day 70 since signing the build contract, under the contract they are meant to have council approval within 90 days of signing, and once the land settles and I prove I have finance construction should be start 2 or 3 weeks there after. Well according to the contract anyway.
Do encourage him to post to this forum so he can share his experience and make that info available to everyone. There are a lot of B team players in their pre construction team as Steve has mentioned. But he needs to escalate this to the manager of whoever he is dealing with. Go through that process and if he hits a brick wall then he can think about taking it to fair trading.

He said he hasn't had response from anyone at Rawson Homes and he is planning to go to their office directly to sort out the issue.

AJW
CalvinHobbes

To clarify, we are doing knock down and rebuild (KDR) with Rawson. AJW's land and house package as above.

Desibloke
Hi Guys,
One of my friend is trying his best to get Rawson Homes build the house they promised in Aug 2014. They have paid 5% deposit shame they didn't even start construction. He is feeling deceived by them as they keep making false promises . I said to them go to Fair trading and get it sorted. Poor bugger he signed building contract last year.
BTW they have top class display homes, we were extremely impressed by their finish and we thought we will get our house built by them but looking at my friends situation we are finalising our home with other builder.

Wow! Shocking. So glad we didn't go with Rawson.
Hello guys, my first post in this thread.. the first few pages of this thread were really positive.. skipped to the end to find more negative comments. Also no posts in over a year.. does this mean steer clear of rawson homes ?
Any update would be great. TIA.
ajayshekar
Hello guys, my first post in this thread.. the first few pages of this thread were really positive.. skipped to the end to find more negative comments. Also no posts in over a year.. does this mean steer clear of rawson homes ?
Any update would be great. TIA.

Hi ajay we are building with them at the moment. Took about 11 months in precinstruction but 4 or 5 of those were waitimg for our land to register and settle. We were very happy with our first admin person she left the company after all the heavy lifting on our file had been done. The second one wasnt so great but the first three months there was nothung to da as land wasnt registered and everything was ready to go.
Since construction started our only contact has been our ss who is awesome. Calls/texts or emails at least once a week to keep us up to date. We have had a fair bit of wet weather delays but given the wet weather progress has been good. Our build started a few weeks behind others near by and has caught up or taken over those around. So far quality seems to be good. The inspection we have had done inly picked up a couple of minor issues.
All in all i would recomend them so far. I think a lot of the admin complaints you hear arw commen to most of the project builders from what i have read in forums.

Related
24/02/2024
Building in Vineyard with Rawson

Building A New House

Just started the Build process for Chifley 42 with Rawson homes, will keep you all posted with the Build progress.

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

10/04/2024
Build experience - Trend Connection Homes

Building A New House

How has your experience been like so far?

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum