What do you guys think?

Looks great!! Gosh it is a monster!!!
Looking good!
shokel1975
Freak_Zombie

What do you guys think?

Looks great!! Gosh it is a monster!!!

That porch looks sooooooo much better! Nice
Thanks guys! Man, anyone else in this position? House is pretty much completed but these last few items to fix are taking foreeeeverrr. Hope I can move in by end of next month!
Freak_Zombie
Thanks guys! Man, anyone else in this position? House is pretty much completed but these last few items to fix are taking foreeeeverrr. Hope I can move in by end of next month!

Have you had PCI yet? If not, you prob won't get in by next month. Metricon have recently changed their policy so that any issues you find at PCI MUST be fixed before handover. They won't hold any of it over to be fixed during/after your 3 month service period. We had to wait 8 weeks from PCI for handover, and that was only for small cosmetic things that we identified. Luckily, we were able to identify bigger issues during the build and have them fixed before PCI. Unfortunately, I think you are in for quite a wait yet....
[quote="shokel1975"]
We had to wait 8 weeks from PCI for handover, and that was only for small cosmetic things that we identified. Luckily, we were able to identify bigger issues during the build and have them fixed before PCI. Unfortunately, I think you are in for quite a wait yet....
/quote]

Wow that is ingenious. "Complain about the paint job or chip and we will make you pay 4k+ in rent".

House looks great btw. I've been enjoying following the build.
Neatep
\"shokel1975":q47alvxf

We had to wait 8 weeks from PCI for handover, and that was only for small cosmetic things that we identified. . [/quote:q47alvxf]

Wow that is ingenious. "Complain about the paint job or chip and we will make you pay 4k+ in rent".

Yes neatep, the 8 week wait was very frustrating - especially when driving past each day and only 2 days in a week would you see any trades there! We got there in the end. Good luck Freak_Zombie
Neatep
\"shokel1975":q47alvxf

We had to wait 8 weeks from PCI for handover, and that was only for small cosmetic things that we identified. . [/quote:q47alvxf]

Yes neatep, the 8 week wait was very frustrating - especially when driving past each day and only 2 days in a week would you see any trades there! We got there in the end. Good luck Freak_Zombie
I much prefer everything being fixed before moving in than having to chase them up after.
shokel1975 unless your HIA contract has been modified, or you agreed in writing later, you are legally able to claim on Metricon your full costs of their additional 6 weeks delay beyond a reasonable 2 weeks after PCI to handover as long as you can substantiate these costs. It’s not appropriate or legal for Metricon to make Customers pay $1,000’s in rent and other delay costs just for asking for minor defects to be rectified. I agree with neatep and think this policy is unconscionable and justifies the attention of all state fair trading departments and the ACCC if Metricon refuses to pay up.
aussman80
I much prefer everything being fixed before moving in than having to chase them up after.

absolutely! it is just frustrating when they promise 3 weeks, but it takes 8 weeks and your other house is about to settle, and your family of 4 is about to be homeless. lol

just wanted to warn Freak_Zombie that it will be a little while yet...
Norfolk
@shokel1975 unless your HIA contract has been modified, or you agreed in writing later, you are legally able to claim on Metricon your full costs of their additional 6 weeks delay beyond a reasonable 2 weeks after PCI to handover as long as you can substantiate these costs. It’s not appropriate or legal for Metricon to make Customers pay $1,000’s in rent and other delay costs just for asking for minor defects to be rectified. I agree with neatep and think this policy is unconscionable and justifies the attention of all state fair trading departments and the ACCC if Metricon refuses to pay up.

I really wasn't going to try to go down that road - we didn't have to pay rent, and we had no mortgage on our home. Financially it was not costing us anything to wait, it was just getting tight in terms of timing move in with settlement of our old home.
Of course, everyone’s circumstances and hand over quality expectations will be different. It’s good you insisted on quality.
Oh man, really? This really sucks if I have to wait another 8 weeks on top of waiting for PIC. Looks like I might have to rent a storage space first to store all the furniture I bought first.

I'm not renting but at the same time I'm still paying interest for the current build and the mortgage on the apartment so it's getting pretty tight, especially after all the white goods and furniture I just bought.
And thanks Shokel. If I could move in by Easter that would be the dream.
Freak_Zombie

You may get in quicker than me - every build is different. I have my fingers crossed for you!!
shokel1975
Freak_Zombie

You may get in quicker than me - every build is different. I have my fingers crossed for you!!

Thank you so much!! 😊😊

By the way what's the standard wait for a reply from your contract supervisor? I've sent a list of items to be fixed to my supervisor over 2 weeks ago and another follow up email over a week ago and still no reply. Seems really inefficient way to handle customers given they give themselves a tight deadline of 9 months to complete a build. Find it surprising building a house takes a shorter time than to reply to an email.
Freak_Zombie you are experiencing Metricon's standard 'ignore, avoid, bluff, delay, threaten, and frustrate' process to avoid fixing defects and reduce their building expenses. The cost to them of not meeting their 9 month deadline is minimal at about $120 per week (with liquidated damages of $30 per working day in your contract). The cost to customers of hand over delays are rent (payments or lost income), or mortgage payments, and other costs. Probably close to $1,000 per week. By delaying fixing your defects they put you under financial pressure, as well as emotional stress, to just accept things, and pay their invoices so you can move in ASAP. From Metricon's perspective they are efficient by going slow because this can minimise their defect rectification costs on your build. Metricon's contract build time of 9 months is almost meaningless without realistic liquidated damages of about $200 per working day payable to you if they don't achieve it. Don't mistake Metricon's normal defect management process for inefficiency. Metricon's process is pretty well sorted to minimise their financial risk of defective workmanship and transfer this risk to you.
That's really disappointing to hear.

Good news and bad news today.

Good news is finally a little progress

Bad news is, my kitchen island does not look anywhere like the display that I asked for. Sorely disappointed 😔😔 don't know how I'll salvage this.

Also I cannot believe it but they painted my nice wooden door for the laundry area the same colour as my pillars. Grey 😱 I don't think I ever asked for that 😭

Will try and take a picture of it later.
freak_Zombie Check you kitchen island profile against the plans and the detailed kitchen company drawings that you signed off on. Also check your front door surrounds against the plans. It looks like a brick course maybe missing above it, replaced by a flimsy wooden 'storm' panel above the door frame. See picture of the bricks above my front door. If these features don't match your signed plans don't accept the Metricon SS's standard "it's a design detail" fob off. You are legal entitled to receive what you signed off on. BTW, on my place Metricon re-did the all kitchen cabinets because the original ones they installed overhung the long window, not to plan and looking shocking.
Related
13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

15/03/2024
Metricon Lumiere Colour Sceme

Building A New House

We don’t live in VIC so want to know the exterior colours of Lumiere display so we can see it at the paint shop. Not building with Metricon so my request went…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum