Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

KDRB Metricon Glendale 38 (Sydney) - We are in!

Page 123 of 130
Franky40
Omg Mona how terrible. I am so nervous till our landscaping is done. Hopefully our bad luck ends with the pool.

I feel for you, I think if they don't turn up this week. You have no choice than to go to FT

viewtopic.php?t=78985

Thanks franky.
That's what we are thinking

How can someone be so arrogant.... we have employed them and they act as if they are doing us a favour.

Fingers crossed your landscaping goes smoothly.

There is no excuse for trades to do this sort of thing to you guys or anyone, Fair trading all the way
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=83489
glendale41
There is no excuse for trades to do this sort of thing to you guys or anyone, Fair trading all the way
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=83489

Yep

We have informed them we are lodging FT this eve if we don't hear by cob today.

Turns out he isn't licensed to do irrigation as you need a plumber and he can't subcontract work anyway.

Doesn't look like he cares.

Hi Mona how are things going? Is this guy not licensed at all??!! Or has he only got a limited license? I hope this gets resolved soon for you.

viewtopic.php?t=78985

Just lodge a complaint with Fair Trading. It takes so long for it to get looked at that if it gets resolved by the time fair trading get to your claim then that's always a bonus.

We went through fair trading initially with the first builder we chose before Metricon and they tried contacting the other party who didn't respond.

We were then advised by the department to take it further to the Civil and Administrative Tribunal which was the best thing we ever did.

If the other party doesn't show they will automatically rule in your favour.

If they do show then they strongly encourage mediation and settlement between the two parties which is usually enough to encourage the company to settle.

I turned up with a fat folder full of emails and documents and the builder's representative had barely anything in return.

We got most of our deposit back thank goodness and the outcome was in our favour.

It is a long process but if you genuinely feel you have been wronged then definitely go for it - you've got nothing to lose!

Welcome to our new Metricon Henderson

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=81978

https://metriconhenderson.wordpress.com

M and T
Just lodge a complaint with Fair Trading. It takes so long for it to get looked at that if it gets resolved by the time fair trading get to your claim then that's always a bonus.

We went through fair trading initially with the first builder we chose before Metricon and they tried contacting the other party who didn't respond.

We were then advised by the department to take it further to the Civil and Administrative Tribunal which was the best thing we ever did.

If the other party doesn't show they will automatically rule in your favour.

If they do show then they strongly encourage mediation and settlement between the two parties which is usually enough to encourage the company to settle.

I turned up with a fat folder full of emails and documents and the builder's representative had barely anything in return.

We got most of our deposit back thank goodness and the outcome was in our favour.

It is a long process but if you genuinely feel you have been wronged then definitely go for it - you've got nothing to lose!

Welcome to our new Metricon Henderson

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=81978

https://metriconhenderson.wordpress.com

Plus the C&AT application is only $49 so not a big cost to get a result.

@Orph

Build thread: viewtopic.php?t=78328
Home Furniture: viewtopic.php?t=80551
Technology Hub: viewtopic.php?t=83663
Landscape Design: viewtopic.php?t=80645
Hi all!
Thank you for all your concern and support during this time.

He has licence to for up to 20k contracts only; additionally he cannot do works involving water ie irrigation. Due to 20k works only, he doesn't have the relevant insurances either.

Last Wed my sister told him we are going to FT if he doesn't give us a timeline.... following that his wife sent 17 text messages (I think its her role to distract!) - then he emailed that evening that he will let us know Friday re time frames - we gave him time till Friday midday - he still emailed a tad late at 12.06pm - advising he will be back on 30th June and can work part of the day on Saturday 2nd July and that work won't be over then either so he will have to come back next week. Now he hasn't still given an 'end' date, but we have told him he will need to finish it in one go.

We have learnt a huge lesson - we thought we were careful checking his licence etc - but didn't know we had to go as far as checking the $ figure noted with FT!

It didn't have to be this hard. As much as we had no idea what landscaping involves, at this rate, we could have project managed it ourselves and saved money - its such basic landscaping.

Now - the key issue will be reliance on the irrigation system - we will need a plumbing certificate from him - how would a qualified plumber put their name to it and sign off? He has charged the price of a proper irrigation system - in fact now more than the quote I had from a proper irrigation company, as he under estimated the 'zones' (now i don't know what to trust!!!) - he said if we don't get the extra zone, we need to water by hand - which would have defeated the purpose. No wonder why he has been silent on warranty for this - when we have emailed him a few times about it.

I am regretful not going directly to the irrigation company, as well as driveway person - both were word of mouth recommendations - which we really value, as we thought we are so tired following the build better to have one person complete it all.
Mona, sorry to hear all these issues. Are there any lessons learnt from yr experience you can pass onto us? For example, Should we trust small operators?

@Orph

Orpheus
Mona, sorry to hear all these issues. Are there any lessons learnt from yr experience you can pass onto us? For example, Should we trust small operators?

@Orph

Hi Orph.... these guys would be classified as small operators in my view.

Here are lessons learnt that my sister came up with:

Lessons:
Don't give the whole contract to one person. We had slightly higher quotes for drive way but through word of mouth, same with irrigation
Valid License and insurance isn't where it all ends - make sure you ask DFT to ensure that this person can actually do this work for you
Don't take verbal acceptance that the job will take 3 weeks when the contract doesn't have any dates on it
Don't take any blow out costs on the face value. Do a bit more Due Diligence. Don't give into the pressure and make sure you have your basis covered....just in case you are being played - even though you may trust them still

Note - before signing off on extra charges, do your own research on costs (remember our sand/soil saga?), and ask for break down of costs prior to accepting.
One more... before payment of any progress payment - review the contract to ensure the work has been delivered. If not - it is a cause for concern why they are wanting to charge so much so quickly!
Thanks! It's very helpful when it's our turn..

@Orph

Orpheus
Thanks! It's very helpful when it's our turn..

@Orph

I think there is very little info out there when it comes to landscapers....as I read somewhere, most people 'move on' once they are settled in their home.

Hopefully my experience will help others choosing the right people.
ok... so someone has just told us where appropriate insurance is not in place - warranty cannot be provided.

how ridiculous is this landscaper :@ surely the concerting company and council would have checked if he is licenced to do this work?

For this reason no responses re warranty have been received.
Sooo.. now he wants more money for plants.

What is the point of having a contract then :@
monalisa

Mona, just give them a blank cheque and that should cover it.....

@Orph

Orpheus
monalisa

Mona, just give them a blank cheque and that should cover it.....

@Orph

hahaha! LOL !!! You are correct Orph lol! He would LOVE that.....

can't wait for these t00ls to leave our home!
Ok... thinking we stick to the original plants we had on the plan... instead of confusing things.

It should be easy to change plants later down the track?
Omg mona! Yes just stick to the original plants and keep it simple.

Lol @ Orph's comment about the blank cheque.....I think my pool company also wants that!

viewtopic.php?t=78985

Franky40
Omg mona! Yes just stick to the original plants and keep it simple.

Lol @ Orph's comment about the blank cheque.....I think my pool company also wants that!

viewtopic.php?t=78985

I'm giving out free blank cheques if u guys need it

@Orph

Related
13/05/2024
Metricon KDRB designs - Vantage 48 or Franklin 50?

Building A New House

😃 will do an exclusive one for Simeon.. COVID back at home.. kept it simple & we moved in.. & yesterday was the first day at our new home.. Few more bits to go -…

31/03/2024
KDRB in Melbourne south east metro region - Suggestions for

Building A New House

Keen to hear from people in the area who have got KDRB done on whom they got the build from? Looking for recommendations. Thanks

13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum