Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 122 of 862
karmaz
Didnt render our facade at all, read on one of the blogs that it cost $3k for just the balcony/porch area. Thought we'd spend that elsewhere.
Eli, that info on mouldings is interesting - would love to put some more up around the house, only the front was done with the Ashmont facade. I wonder if I can coax DH to do that. Hmmmm....
Just blogged some more.

Hi karmaz,

Thanks for the render pricing, it gives me an idea of what it may cost if we decide to render the remainder of the front.

Yes I love mouldings. It does lift the external home alot more if done correctly. Here are some places I just googled. Have a look at their gallery to get ideas.

http://www.unitex.com.au/mouldings.html

http://www.winsladedesign.com/architect_mouldings.html

http://www.afexternalmouldings.com.au/
eli-kay123
humble
Is that buckwheat?

WE got good news, Hawksburn can be selected, and they are cat6!

success!

Great news Humble. Will you also be using the 50mm for the facade and 76mm for the rest. What are you plans for the facade.

Those bricks posted by Twiggy are definitely not Buckwheat.

Hate to break it to you, but they are
eli-kay123
I forgot I had a scanner
, I have scanned all the bricks that are now available. Don't take to much notice of the pictures of the bricks they are quite different than seeing them in real life as these are only computer generated images. Also note Cat 6 bricks are "TBA" on this list. The cat 6 bricks are the Melbourne Series, Auburn, Greythorn, Como and Hawksburn - there could be more cat 6 bricks to come as I was told they were concocting are redish colour brick in the Melbourne Series.

Brick Categories for PD Prestige (Austral Bricks)

Hope this helps all.....

Interesting, they have moved the elements range to a cat 9. They were a cat 8 when we purchased them.

I'm sure this will become very handy for many people! Thanks for sharing!

Forgot to add this picture before as well

Twiggy
eli-kay123
humble
Is that buckwheat?

WE got good news, Hawksburn can be selected, and they are cat6!

success!

Great news Humble. Will you also be using the 50mm for the facade and 76mm for the rest. What are you plans for the facade.

Those bricks posted by Twiggy are definitely not Buckwheat.

Hate to break it to you, but they are

Wow, I'm shocked because we have the buckwheat and they look nothing like the picture you posted.

This is a picture of Buckwheat (I actually call it Milk Chocolate
) from Hopetoun taken 1 and a half weeks ago:

We are paying $2961 to render our alfresco and 2 other external walls coming off it.
Rups
We are paying $2961 to render our alfresco and 2 other external walls coming off it.

Thanks Rups, good to know. With you and Kamarz's response it looks like it will be in the right ball park figure for us of $3K. We'd have a similar amount to render. So it looks like we will be heading to Hopetoun Sunday to re-pick our render colours.
Oh Yeah! Uh Hah!
eli-kay123

Wow, I'm shocked because we have the buckwheat and they look nothing like the picture you posted.

http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y349/eli-kay/130-1.jpg

That is a big difference in brick colour. Impossible they are the same brick. They have to be different.
Bel&Marz
eli-kay123
I forgot I had a scanner
, I have scanned all the bricks that are now available. Don't take to much notice of the pictures of the bricks they are quite different than seeing them in real life as these are only computer generated images. Also note Cat 6 bricks are "TBA" on this list. The cat 6 bricks are the Melbourne Series, Auburn, Greythorn, Como and Hawksburn - there could be more cat 6 bricks to come as I was told they were concocting are redish colour brick in the Melbourne Series.

Hope this helps all.....

Interesting, they have moved the elements range to a cat 9. They were a cat 8 when we purchased them.

Not a problem Bel&Marz, happy to help as much as I can. You're lucky you got your bricks before the change. Lucky they didn't drop to a Cat 5 because you wouldn't have been happy about that.
eli-kay123
Bel&Marz
eli-kay123
I forgot I had a scanner

Hope this helps all.....

Not a problem Bel&Marz, happy to help as much as I can. You're lucky you got your bricks before the change. Lucky they didn't drop to a Cat 5 because you wouldn't have been happy about that.

Nope, i wouldn't have been very happy at all! The bricks were a major one for us. I had choosen the bricks before we had even paid the deposit! It was something on our list that was staying no matter what! To be honest, if they weren't available, i reckon we would have easily walked and gone with a builder who could supply us with them.
Bel&Marz
eli-kay123

http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y349/eli-kay/130-1.jpg

That is a big difference in brick colour. Impossible they are the same brick. They have to be different.

Yes I would have thought they were the Chestnut as it looks to have specs of pink in it. It could be the light shining on the bricks that gives it a different colour. Another thing, these could have been older stock and made at the previous factory and the newer Buckwheat may have changed in colour because they are made at the new factory. But I still can't believe they are the same brick.

[/quote]

Not a problem Bel&Marz, happy to help as much as I can. You're lucky you got your bricks before the change. Lucky they didn't drop to a Cat 5 because you wouldn't have been happy about that.[/quote]

Nope, i wouldn't have been very happy at all! The bricks were a major one for us. I had choosen the bricks before we had even paid the deposit! It was something on our list that was staying no matter what! To be honest, if they weren't available, i reckon we would have easily walked and gone with a builder who could supply us with them.[/quote]

Yes we were also close to walking if we didn't get what we wanted on yesterday (contract day - but didn't sign as they have to re-do the floor plan.) We still have a deposit with Henley Homes The Lexington just in case it all goes wrong before the real contract day next week. Hoping all goes well.
Twiggy

Hey Twiggy,

Is this buckwheat? It can't be but then again there is so much sunlight on it.
Twiggy: They look like Chestnut to me too. Did you get to see the label on the pallet?

But then the buckwheat on Eli-kay's earlier post looks like that too. Strange.
eli-kay123
Twiggy

Hey Twiggy,

From Rups:
Twiggy: They look like Chestnut to me too. Did you get to see the label on the pallet?

But then buckwheat on Eli's earlier post looks like that too. Strange.

Rups this is my Buckwheat http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y349/eli-kay/130-1.jpg. It is strange. If they are Chestnut then they are a cat 2 on the current Austral Brick selection sheet. Buckwheat is Cat 3. I've been told that Buckwheat has been in production for 6 months and before all the kefaful of certain bricks being discontinued Buckwheat wasn't even on PD's list to choose. I am looking at the previous list now before the bricks were discontinued and no mention of Buckwheat.

Twiggy: I'd would confirm that you have the correct name for the brick or that you got what you ordered. I'd be curious and take a sample brick into an Austral Brick centre and let the staff check for you. Being that your home is already bricked up you have order these bricks months ago but before they were on PD's selection list. I just find it odd how you got your hands on Buckwheat if it wasn't there to pick in the first place. You are obviously happy with the brick colour because you did pick it but make sure you got charged correctly. If it's not buckwheat and it's a higher Cat bonus for you because you would have been charged for the lower cat but if the brick in question is lower than the cat 3 and you paid for them they've over charged you.
eli-kay123
eli-kay123
Twiggy

Hey Twiggy,

From Rups:

But then buckwheat on Eli's earlier post looks like that too. Strange.

Rups this is my Buckwheat http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y349/eli-kay/130-1.jpg. It is strange. If they are Chestnut then they are a cat 2 on the current Austral Brick selection sheet. Buckwheat is Cat 3. I've been told that Buckwheat has been in production for 6 months and before all the kefaful of certain bricks being discontinued Buckwheat wasn't even on PD's list to choose. I am looking at the previous list now before the bricks were discontinued and no mention of Buckwheat.

Twiggy: I'd would confirm that you have the correct name for the brick or that you got what you ordered. I'd be curious and take a sample brick into an Austral Brick centre and let the staff check for you. Being that your home is already bricked up you have order these bricks months ago but before they were on PD's selection list. I just find it odd how you got your hands on Buckwheat if it wasn't there to pick in the first place. You are obviously happy with the brick colour because you did pick it but make sure you got charged correctly. If it's not buckwheat and it's a higher Cat bonus for you because you would have been charged for the lower cat but if the brick in question is lower than the cat 3 and you paid for them they've over charged you.

I think Twiggy is actually building with Henley not PD.
Interesting movement on the Brick Cats, Homestead Tan gone from Cat1 to Cat3? What are they doing!?

Anyhoo, I am happy, roll on Colours (Wed Week) and contract (Thurs Week)
humble
Interesting movement on the Brick Cats, Homestead Tan gone from Cat1 to Cat3? What are they doing!?

Anyhoo, I am happy, roll on Colours (Wed Week) and contract (Thurs Week)

I've attached the previous list of bricks selection from PD for comparison to the current one. This was emailed to me on 31 May 2011. Homestead Tan was Cat 2 on this list and now Cat 3 on new list.
I think Twiggy is actually building with Henley not PD.[/quote]

Ok, then that explains why Twiggy was able to get the bricks.
When we visited Austral bricks the consultant there mentioned to us the cost of a brick is based on many factors such as material used, labour, transportation(based on where they are sourced) and drying/baking process. The cost is one of the drivers for the category in which they have been classified.

For example a brick sourced from Victoria will be much cheaper than a brick sourced from say WA or NSW due to transportation charges.

In the past Homestead Tan was sourced from Victoria and in future it will be sourced from NSW, this increases the cost and hence it could have moved categories.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum