Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building the Waldorf Grange by Porter Davis

Page 13 of 40
A copy of what the report looks like:

So we had an update via email from our site supervisor that we weren't expecting:

Quote:
Just wanted to keep you informed. I have delayed your frame commencement as I did an inspection on the slab and I was not satisfied with some of the levels I found and some other minor items. I have requested the Concreters return to rectify. They have advised me that the slab will be ready mid to late this week. Don’t want to be alarmist but just want to make sure we get off to the correct start. Once I’m happy with the slab I’ll get guys onto your frame.

We hope this is a sign that our site supervisor has high standards and realises that we (and Darbecca) do as well.
Waldorf_Grange_Build
So we had an update via email from our site supervisor that we weren't expecting:

Quote:
Just wanted to keep you informed. I have delayed your frame commencement as I did an inspection on the slab and I was not satisfied with some of the levels I found and some other minor items. I have requested the Concreters return to rectify. They have advised me that the slab will be ready mid to late this week. Don’t want to be alarmist but just want to make sure we get off to the correct start. Once I’m happy with the slab I’ll get guys onto your frame.

We hope this is a sign that our site supervisor has high standards and realises that we (and Darbecca) do as well.

I like that your site supervisor is open & being honest...did they give any indication of PD's own independent inspection picking up any defects?

Waldorf_Grange_Build

Quote:

That's good news I'd say, better that everything gets sorted now rather than having problems in future. And great that the SS kept you informed with what's going on rather than leaving you in the dark.
SS sounds like he's on the ball, delays are annoying but awesome he's making sure things are done right.

Yep, sounds like a good SS to me. Better if they are a bit picky even if it means a few delays!

Our 37sq Custom Hamptons Inspired Home:
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=86931
sinbox
Waldorf_Grange_Build

Quote:

I like that your site supervisor is open & being honest...did they give any indication of PD's own independent inspection picking up any defects?

Haven't heard anything yet about PD's own independent inspection.
bd3watson

My understanding of the energy report is that they input every measurement of each room, each colour you have chosen for render, roof, each window measurement etc and then the report calculates the energy rating and makes the suggestions on what it needs to tip it over the six star. Some of the things our house needed PD picked up the expense and other things we had to (such as double glazing throughout).
Interesting you haven't heard anything from PD's inspector. I assumed they would be sending you a report at each stage, same as Darbeca.
Waldorf_Grange_Build

Quote:

This is a really good sign
I hope this means your lost of defects is no where near as substantial as ours

Waldorf_Grange_Build
bd3watson

My understanding of the energy report is that they input every measurement of each room, each colour you have chosen for render, roof, each window measurement etc and then the report calculates the energy rating and makes the suggestions on what it needs to tip it over the six star. Some of the things our house needed PD picked up the expense and other things we had to (such as double glazing throughout).

That's correct, though don't think the colour stuff is necessary. As we commissioned our own report, we have a full report with all that info. Sounds like you are just getting the cover sheet.

I've spoke to our energy rater about changing our sliding door from double glazed to low e glass, she recalculated and said was possible but would need to upgrade our sarking to maintain 6 star

Dani_J
Waldorf_Grange_Build
bd3watson

That's correct, though don't think the colour stuff is necessary. As we commissioned our own report, we have a full report with all that info. Sounds like you are just getting the cover sheet.

I've spoke to our energy rater about changing our sliding door from double glazed to low e glass, she recalculated and said was possible but would need to upgrade our sarking to maintain 6 star

I heard the colour could change the rating if you have a charcoal coloured roof vs a white roof it would absorb more sun/heat etc.

Due to bad weather our frame has not started yet. Hopefully later this week, if not next week. We don't mind so much as we wanted the slab to cure for as long as possible.
Yep, know how you feel. Our site cut hasn't been completed yet due the wet weather and pub hols
. And I was hoping for a slab before Easter!

Our 37sq Custom Hamptons Inspired Home:
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=86931
The weather is looking sunny from next week onwards, so hopefully they will be able to get a frame up quickly for you
Gravy
The weather is looking sunny from next week onwards, so hopefully they will be able to get a frame up quickly for you

Yes hopefully! I need to catch up to you. Hehe.

Our termite protection now in https://waldorfgrangebuild.wordpress.co ... tion-done/

I wish I had thought of putting in a physical barrier instead of chemical
not a huge fan of using chemicals if it can be avoided, not to mention the maintenance and costs!

Waldorf_Grange_Build

Did it cost you much to get the physical barrier? I never knew that was an option!
Hurrow
Waldorf_Grange_Build

Did it cost you much to get the physical barrier? I never knew that was an option!

Nothing. It was included. It says physical or chemical in the contract and they will usually default to the chemical unless you make a point of asking which we did and we got them to agree in writing.

Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

3/08/2023
Talking to tradies without entering the building site

Building A New House

Elvis has left the building... The site supervisor quit after 2 month on the project. I guess he was just instructed to bark at people, but didn't like when he was…

22/06/2023
7 Steps - For a successful building project

Renovation + Home Improvement

Following these simple steps will help you mitigate unwanted costs, have your expectations met and give…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum