Building ForumBuilding A New House

MainVue Amalfi 532 - Final Fit off

Page 13 of 23
Hey Cam, did your Brickie show up?

viewtopic.php?t=81336 Building with MainVue - Modified Ivory 436...our journey
Saint Girl
Hey Cam, did your Brickie show up?

I think he's taking delivery of the sand today, so hopefully should be starting today. He's going to be starting with the front of the house, which I'm pretty excited about as that's the 50mm brick facade. Should come up a treat

I'm also doing a walk through with the SS tomorrow to demonstrate the fixed defects before he starts work on the plaster. So things should be kicking up a gear by the end of the week. By the end of next week it should really look like it's coming together.
That's sounds positive. Once that starts you'll be where we are in no time..... up to your necks in quotes for blinds, driveways, retaining walls and landscaping and a rapidly dwindling bank balance.....

Saint Girl
That's sounds positive. Once that starts you'll be where we are in no time..... up to your necks in quotes for blinds, driveways, retaining walls and landscaping and a rapidly dwindling bank balance.....

Haha very true. Hanging to get to where you are. You're so close to it all being over. How did you go with the concrete shopping?
Great. We are reasonably close to the self claimed 'biggest exposed aggregate showroom in Melbourne'. They have a huge choice and were really helpful. We need to do some sort of retaining wall before the driveway can go in though, due to slope upwards to our high slab. Common sense really but we hadn't thought about it until now.

Brickie has started today. Here's a little sample of his work:
Congrats on the bricks being started!!

Cam you must be so happy, the bricks already look amazing!

Saint Girl
Cam you must be so happy, the bricks already look amazing!

Very happy. Can't wait to see it all fully complete. We'll have to wait a few weeks for that though.

Had my walk through with the SS yesterday and all the Darbecca issues were either resolved, or planned to be resolved at a later date. I gave the all clear to start the plaster on Monday.

Our bi-fold doors were also getting installed yesterday, but I didn't get a photo. One to come on the weekend.
Our bricks took a few weeks too but it was definitely worth it. We had one guy doing it on his own most of the time. He did such a neat job they really could have got away without even washing them....they didn't really look any different afterwards!
Your bifolds will look spectacular. I'll be sure to keep following when we are in.

Saint Girl
Our bricks took a few weeks too but it was definitely worth it. We had one guy doing it on his own most of the time. He did such a neat job they really could have got away without even washing them....they didn't really look any different afterwards!
Your bifolds will look spectacular. Are they timber? I can remember you weren't fond of the idea of the maintainance of timber windows but can't remember what you said about your doors.

Yeah same deal with our Brickie I think. He asked a lot of questions about how I would like the job done, instead of just doing it all without consultation. I think he's going to do an awesome job, so I'm more than happy for it to take longer to finish.

Nah, we went with aluminium bifold doors. I would have loved timber, but I just can't be bothered with the maintenance. We had timber awning windows in our last house and I had to sand and paint them and it was something I hated so badly I just don't want to go through that again. They look beautiful, but you pay for that beauty in sweat and lost weekends. Granted, its not every 6 months, more like every couple of years, but I just can't be bothered

I actually just edited my post because I decided to go back to the start of your thread and read for myself, so you beat me to it. Yeah, the maintenance is an issue....by the time we add timber decks, side gate and maybe a front fence we will have a lot of timber to keep looking nice. Of course at the moment while they are brand new they look absolutely beautiful! We are considering having a look at something like Knotwood to see if it looks realistic enough for our fence and gate.

Did you increase your ceiling height?

Saint Girl
I actually just edited my post because I decided to go back to the start of your thread and read for myself, so you beat me to it. Yeah, the maintenance is an issue....by the time we add timber decks, side gate and maybe a front fence we will have a lot of timber to keep looking nice. Of course at the moment while they are brand new they look absolutely beautiful! We are considering having a look at something like Knotwood to see if it looks realistic enough for our fence and gate.

It was definitely a trade off for us. Function over form, but I'm happy with our decision. A coastal suburb like Parkdale needs more timber
Completely understand, we chose function over looks and trends with a number of our choices....like a glass splashback instead of stunning tiled splashback which is what my heart wanted but Tony refused... ultra neutral and conservative colours throughout and also things like deleting the towel ladders from both bathrooms and replacing them with 2 sets of double towel rails...not cool but certainly functional

Saint Girl
Completely understand, we chose function over looks and trends with a number of our choices....like a glass splashback instead of stunning tiled splashback which is what my heart wanted but Tony refused... ultra neutral and conservative colours throughout and also things like deleting the towel ladders from both bathrooms and replacing them with 2 sets of double towel rails...not cool but certainly functional

We deleted our towel ladders and just put small towel hooks instead. Not a far of the towel ladder.

Back doors are in

Some more brickwork to the facade
Good, steady progress now Camma and it's looking really good!
How are you finding communication with MainVue these days? I've go no complaints...

Wow!! Looking so good Camma! Definitely all coming together.

Related
25/03/2024
Job sequences in fixing and fit-off stage

Building A New House

Thanks for much mate. I see that you do cabinets before flooring. For timber flooring, for most parts it's fine because it's got base plates, and for door jabs you can…

22/12/2023
How to fit mesh fly screen while shutters in place

Windows & Doors

Hello everyone Please advice me how can I install mesh security window or we cab say mesh flyscreen inside while the pvc plantation shutters are already installed? Is…

6/03/2024
How would you fit 2 showers and toilets in this space?

Bathrooms and Laundry

This is the current bathroom with a european laundry. Overall internal dimensions are 3.69 wide and 3.65m deep, including the footprint of the laundry. There is a toilet…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum