Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 120 of 862
Ah ok. If it was me, it get them to take the MDF skirting around the corner of the square set opening into the ensuite about 4 or 5 cm, then tile from there.

We had this same dilemma in the laundry and into the mud room as we were only going to have the tiled skirts in the laundry. We couldn't figure out where to change over so we ended up doing the tiled skirts for the mud room as well.

If you have time, can you hit some Simonds, M'con or Carlisle displays? They have tiled skirts as standard, be interesting to see how they execute the change.
Or even better, start a thread on here and ask some fellow forumites with the same set up for some pics!

Somes pic from M'con site. Not sure about this as the edge of the tile would be easily chipped. I'd take the MDF around a couple of centimetres.

http://www.metricon.com.au/melbourne/ho ... /images#96

http://www.metricon.com.au/melbourne/ho ... images#341
joles
Ah ok. If it was me, it get them to take the MDF skirting around the corner of the square set opening into the ensuite about 4 or 5 cm, then tile from there.

We had this same dilemma in the laundry and into the mud room as we were only going to have the tiled skirts in the laundry. We couldn't figure out where to change over so we ended up doing the tiled skirts for the mud room as well.

If you have time, can you hit some Simonds, M'con or Carlisle displays? They have tiled skirts as standard, be interesting to see how they execute the change.

Joles,

Thanks for the advice.

I'll try to get round some more displays at the weekend !!

One idea I have to improve this is to have the tiled skirts cut to the same height as the normal mdf skirts. Some tile grout could then be used to cover the vertical gap where they meet. Its not very elegant but as this point would also be where the carpet meets the floor tiles then it may look like its meant to be like that and may not stand out so much.

Thoughts?

..or would a reduced height tiled skirting look strange????
I think I'd keep the tiled skirts at the taller height. I posted some pics in my post above from the M'con site that shows how they do theirs.

I've been through nearly every display home in Melbourne
, and I have to say, I have never really noticed how the tiled skirts meet up with the MDF skirts. I honestly think it is something that you will not even notice once you are in the house.
J & C
Thanks flagstaffIV...appreciate this

Would you be able to tell me the number on handle (ten from bottom in the first picture)...Its nor visible clearly.

If I can get the number I might get the hopetoun / CSC to give me the PD price.

Cheers

J & C

No worries,
I have circled it in red... Is it this one???
No. 11, item no. 875611
Lucky I took these pics on a 12mp camera lol

Thanks for this flagstaffIV.

Would anyone on this blog has the price for No. 11, item no. 875611, my CSC sent me an email stating she can't provide me the price until we sign the contract...We find that weird!!!

Cheers,

J & C
Just a question here for anybody that has timber bifold doors.

Our bifolds have been stained (as well as our front door) but we have no idea if they're going to lacquer them as well

It also looks like our bfiolds need to be sanded back, they have mud spattered and something green smeared on them which has been there pretty much from when they were installed, how good were your bifolds finished off?

I know it might be a lot to expect but I do expect display home quality...might be pushing $hit uphill LOL
I *think* ours has been stained. Not sure if they were lacquered. Might be a question for your CSC. Ours looks good, but one is starting to be a bit sticky. One thing to think of is flyscreens for these doors, we completely forgot about that - you may still be able to edge them in if you want. Am told its easier during the build than to retro fit them.
karmaz
I *think* ours has been stained. Not sure if they were lacquered. Might be a question for your CSC. Ours looks good, but one is starting to be a bit sticky. One thing to think of is flyscreens for these doors, we completely forgot about that - you may still be able to edge them in if you want. Am told its easier during the build than to retro fit them.

Too late for flyscreens I think, something of course we didn't think of LOL PCI Friday.

I assumed that they'd be lacquered as I also assume a stain is not a sealer (I could be wrong) but the timber doesn't look sealed to me...
Front door is the same...

Something we weren't thinking we'd have to do...
building1
Just a question here for anybody that has timber bifold doors.

Our bifolds have been stained (as well as our front door) but we have no idea if they're going to lacquer them as well

It also looks like our bfiolds need to be sanded back, they have mud spattered and something green smeared on them which has been there pretty much from when they were installed, how good were your bifolds finished off?

I know it might be a lot to expect but I do expect display home quality...might be pushing $hit uphill LOL

Ours doors front and Bi Folds had a clear lacquer applied to them at the end - take pictures because we had water marks on our doors and they had to replace the doors, look for rust stains as well where they have nailed in the frame we had the frame replaced as well, if the green amrks are timber grains well you cant do anything, but thats their only out - push the issue as once they have been replaced you will feel so much better.....
tstr1a
Hello Ebony,
About 2 weeks ago I PM you a question and you still haven’t got back to me with an answer. At your earliest convenience can you please help me out.

Cheers

Hi tstr1a,
I’m sorry to hear that it’s taken so long for someone to get in contact with you, I believe Hopetoun have emailed you yesterday? Are you able to please let me know? If they haven’t, could you please send me a PM with your contact phone number? Regards,
Ebony
Team PD
tstr1a
Hello Ebony,
About 2 weeks ago I PM you a question and you still haven’t got back to me with an answer. At your earliest convenience can you please help me out.

Cheers

Hi tstr1a,
I’m sorry to hear that it’s taken so long for someone to get in contact with you, I believe Hopetoun have emailed you yesterday? Are you able to please let me know? If they haven’t, could you please send me a PM with your contact phone number? Regards,
Ebony

Good morning Ebony,

I haven’t received and email from Hopetoun yet.
tstr1a
Team PD
tstr1a
Hello Ebony,

Cheers

Hi tstr1a,
Ebony

Good morning Ebony,

I haven’t received and email from Hopetoun yet.

Thank you trstr1a for letting me know, are you able to please send me a private message with the best phone number for us to call you on? Many thanks, Ebony
karmaz

I didn't think conventional flyscreens could be used with these Bi-fold doors so didn't even bother asking PD if they could be supplied! If I thought they could I would have paid extra for them

I've seen specific brands of bi-folds which have an integral fly screen built into the frame and assumed that was the only option.

FAO Building01 : We also have Bi-folds but they have not been stained yet. Happy to report back once they have thou...
eli-kay123
tstr1a
Hey eli-kay123

Love to know if they let you change structural items such as the facade. Let you know of the outcome.

No worries tstr1a, I will let you now how it goes. If it doesn't go our way.........we still have The Lexington with Henley as a fall back.

Hi tstr1a,

PD came to the party they really helped us. The person we dealt with at PD was very nice and so helpful and did her best to get what we wanted. We were able to change our facade,
but I believe they allowed us to do so due to the fact that we were put under pressure to pick something at Tender that we really didn't want. Secondly, we got our niche in our ensuite.
They will put in a small cavity enough to fit the niche and move the shower 90mm. Though in doing this they did charge us $500 because they have to re-do our drawings which we were happy to pay. For anyone wanting changes that PD say no to, don't give up and keep trying because it worked in our favour. Also make sure you know exactly what you want before Tender in regards to facade, bricks, and anything structural, because they may not allow you to change and if they do, it will cost you.

Haven't signed the contract as yet due to the new drawings needing to be done. We will now do contract again next week.

We got a quote for floorboards (Spotted Gum timber floorboards) alot cheaper to do it yourself. PD quoted $17K for entrance, kitchen, living, dining and hallway of ensuite and kids bedrooms and outside we got a quote for just over $13K. Big difference in price. Tiles in the bath, ensuite, laundry we will go thru PD, and carpet will we do ourselves because PD were unable to give us the Carpet Court carpet we wanted as it wasn't on their selection list, fair enough.
That's a great result for you!
So you will have the Daintree facade? I have that facade also. I have to say, the way you did the mock up with the render bands is much better then the way my render is!
I hate my render colour... need to paint it.
Hopefully it will look better when that's done.
Hi,

I will be having my independent inspection on coming Thursday morning & the PCI on Friday morning.

If I receive the defect list from the inspector on Friday evening, I will be able to email it to my supervisor.

Do you think that would be acceptable or need to pass the defect list at the PCI?
joles
That's a great result for you!
So you will have the Daintree facade? I have that facade also. I have to say, the way you did the mock up with the render bands is much better then the way my render is!
I hate my render colour... need to paint it.
Hopefully it will look better when that's done.

Hi Joles,

Thanks. Yes we will have the Daintree facade. Any chance of sharing the picture of your facade. If we do it in the Richmond bricks Cat 8 (50mm front and 76mm rest of house) we were quoted over $12K.
Something we have to really think about. We may have to go back to the Buckwheat and I will again mock something up to get and idea of how it will look. We may need to add more render somewhere. We are a little bit lost because we do prefer the Richmond bricks but it's the cost of it and with the Buckwheat being cat 3 bricks, there was a stuff up on contract and PD only charged $226 and we believe it should have been $2260 and now they said they have to honour the $226 price, so that makes a very big difference in the price so I am trying to make the Buckwheat work. Any facade ideas from anyone are most welcome!!!!!!!
I will hunt up a pic and PM you. I don't think my colours will be much help.... we have really strict estate covenants of "Tuscan colours" so we had to have a red/maroon or orange roof
and lightish bricks. We have Lonsdale bricks and the lighter orange/red roof tiles and Self-Destruct render which turned out really yellow. If we were in a different estate our colours would have been quite different I think.

I do have some pics somewhere of a few other houses with the Daintree facade I found on my travels... one with really dark bricks and no render. I'll PM you those as well.
Hey eli-kay123,

that's really good news. Glad everything is work out
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum