Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 115 of 862
humble
I have time to go see these bricks, but the wifey wants to wait till Saturday..

Easy, just say "hun, I'm popping out, will be back soon. I'll pick up a bottle of red on the way back".

..... Oh it's only 2 sleeps till Saturday.
I like you, the Mrs is the real boss, men are here to pay the bills
True that..
INTERNAL FINISH OF THE GARAGE

Hello All,

For all those who have now built with PD, may I ask what the internal finish was inside your garage? If it has been lined with plaster board sheets were all sides of the garage boarded?

I ask, as in my garage all sides have been plaster boarded with the exception of the (i) front wall (either side of the garage door) and more strangely (ii) half of the back wall in the area of the rear garage door.

When I asked my SS why the rear wall had not been completely plaster boarded, I was told that was the actual finish for a PD home and that all PD's homes are constructed in a similar way ??!!???

Personally, it nots very aesthetically pleasing and looks basically unfinished, and consequently would welcome others comments on this before I raise the issue again.

Thanks in advance,

Chorlton
Not here. I pay the bills. Mostly.

Conspiracy theory - not that I usually suscribe to them - the plan we chose that shows a porch as a default option has been taken off the website. Shock! Awe!

Chorlton, our garage has brick all around, no plasterboard. That does sound odd to me! Do your plans say anything? The final construction drawings?
Hi Chorlton

I have not started building yet but was just looking at my plans when I read your post. My plans indicate that the back wall and the wall joining the hallway have plaster - but the external wall (closest to the fence) does not.

Which sounds the opposite of what you have....so not much help!
Chorlton
INTERNAL FINISH OF THE GARAGE

Hello All,

For all those who have now built with PD, may I ask what the internal finish was inside your garage? If it has been lined with plaster board sheets were all sides of the garage boarded?

I ask, as in my garage all sides have been plaster boarded with the exception of the (i) front wall (either side of the garage door) and more strangely (ii) half of the back wall in the area of the rear garage door.

When I asked my SS why the rear wall had not been completely plaster boarded, I was told that was the actual finish for a PD home and that all PD's homes are constructed in a similar way ??!!???

Personally, it nots very aesthetically pleasing and looks basically unfinished, and consequently would welcome others comments on this before I raise the issue again.

Thanks in advance,

Chorlton

I learnt something new today.. Checked my plans and same deal here, plaster on the back wall only.
According to my plans, there is a note in the garage area which says "timber framed walls with plasterboard lining both sides" with an arrow pointing towards the two internal walls.

However, I assumed (lesson here for everyone!!!) that the rear wall which is half timber frame and half brickwork only would have plasterboard on all of it and not just the bit that is timber framed. Personally, IMO its not 100% clear and making a reasonable assumption you would expect that the whole wall would be done the same.

What is also strange is that there are no notes that actually refer to plasterboard on the garage external side wall (which is obviously just brick). However, I have plasterboard there !!!!!!!????!!!!

So, even if you read the plans correctly, what I have in my garage is different.........

The result is that I now have an area of around 2m around my rear garage door with just brickwork whilst both sides of the walls have plasterboard. To say it looks stupid is an understatement !!
You're right Chorlton - that sounds just stupid!
checked again the my garage is all brick, no plaster.

Chorlton, the wall dividing your house and garage is it brick or plaster?

Mine is full brick
Chorlton post a pic of your garage plan so we can all see.

Cheers
To be quite honest I haven't even had a good look at the garage, I know some is plaster and some isn't, and to be perfectly honest I don't even care what the garage looks like

I'll park my car and go to the kitchen
LMAO
Alot of our garage walls will be covered by tools and storage shelves...
I also don't mind having the exposed brick in places - it is easier to hang things from. However, what Chorlton is saying sounds silly - a half and half wall!!?!?!?!

It also doesn't match the plans - so that should help the arguement with PD surely?
tstr1a

Cheers

I'll try to do it later today.....

BTW: Wall between House and Garage is mostly just timber.
Chorlton
tstr1a

Cheers

I'll try to do it later today.....

BTW: Wall between House and Garage is mostly just timber.

Love to see you build in progress, do you have a thread or a blog?
building1
To be quite honest I haven't even had a good look at the garage, I know some is plaster and some isn't, and to be perfectly honest I don't even care what the garage looks like

I'll park my car and go to the kitchen
LMAO
Alot of our garage walls will be covered by tools and storage shelves...

I accept your point and in the grand scheme of things its not that important. However, like a lot of building related things if it looks right it probably is and if it doesn't then it stands out and people question it.

Having an area of no more than 2m brickwork and the rest plasterboard looks basically unfinished and is clearly visible when the garage door is open.

If they had built it as per the plans then the external garage side wall would also be brickwork and as a result would be a lot less noticable.

Am I going to ask PD to remove the plasterboard which is wrongly fitted? Of course not, but at the same time the current finish looks strange IMO.

PS. Tstra1a..... No blog unfortunately as I just haven't had the time to create and update one. But I will try to sort out some pics for those interested.........
Hi, I just looked at my plans & have the plasterboards throughout the rear wall only as attached.

I thought the entire garage would cover up with the plasterboards.

Learning to study the final drawings at the later stage...

[img][IMG]http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/7006/garagewall.jpg[/img][/img]
Hi,

On our plans it shows that only 2 walls are to be plastered. Those walls are the internal walls, which are the laundry wall and entry wall for us, though they have plasterd all of the garage and have left a little exposed brick around the rear access garage door. take a look on my thread. Page 10 there is a pic of the facade where you can see the inside of our garage.
Can anyone tell me if they had the flooring included in their promo (Cat 1 Tiles, Cat 2 Carpet) but decided to source their own flooring elsewhere. Did PD give you a credit for not going ahead with them.
eli-kay123
Can anyone tell me if they had the flooring included in their promo (Cat 1 Tiles, Cat 2 Carpet) but decided to source their own flooring elsewhere. Did PD give you a credit for not going ahead with them.

i spoke to my CSC about a credit and she said no.

i upgraded the tiles and carpet was close to wat we wanted.
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum