Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 114 of 862
Thanks Rob, well said!!
eli-kay123

The Austral website do the bricks no justice. Here is a pic I took today.

Austral: Buckwheat Harvest Range
http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y349/eli-kay/130.jpg

Hi eli-kay,

I love your selections, well done!!
The bricks looks gorgeous with the render and the dark roof tile really sets it off!!
MelNRob

Hoping that this post instills a little positivity into the building experience for you all and that any issues are just speed humps along the way to keep the journey interesting.

Cheers ... Rob

+1

Spot on
mimi23
eli-kay123

Hi eli-kay,

I love your selections, well done!!
The bricks looks gorgeous with the render and the dark roof tile really sets it off!!

Nice selections.. Same render color as we chose! Snuggle Pie is another very similar with a cooler name!
Thanks mimi23.

Thanks Humble.

I think we will most likely change the guttering to the monument colour instead of keeping both fascia and gutter paperbark. Wasn't thinking at the time.

Humble, yes for render we pulled out light leather, time capsule, snuggle pie and one other but can't remember the name for that one. When we compared all 4 to the bricks we asked what the consultant thought and she said that time capsule would suit better and we were happy with her suggestion.
eli-kay123
humble
Rups
Interesting that Hopetoun knew Monday but our CS or the Prestige office didn't know yesterday!

Ding Ding!

Eli, seems a acceptable outcome. They look quite light in the pictures online. Hope they work out for you!

Hi Humble,

Love your selections! Nice brick!
MelNRob
Hi All, this is R from MnR ... have read lots of rants and many less raves in the last couple of days so thought I would share some experiences of our process thus far, to hopefully assist in reaching solutions to the problems. After all a forum is only as good as the quality of its content.

On our very first visit to the Lifestyle display centre at Marriot Waters we asked lots of questions and got lots of answers, We also got a document from the SC with the details of the fitout of one of the houses including prices. OK there's a little home work to go through and work it out but it had everything (literally everything) in it. Also on the day we signed up we had a great chat with out SC and he indicated that one of the houses had around $100K worth of upgrades and extras. From this we were quickly able to do some homework on setting the budget for the build and then working within that.

After spending most weekends for 2 months looking at display houses and showrooms, we too were advised of discontinued items and option changes on the day of our colour selections at Hopetoun. OK it wasn't the bricks that changed but the door furniture selection, however the issue remains the same. We had agonised over our selections for the door styles and door furniture ("do we upgrade don't we upgrade", "did you check out those doors and handles" etc) only to have to scrub the selection we made and come up with a decision in a matter of minutes. We achieved this relatively painlessly by taking the earlier advice of the Hopetoun Consultants and having a 2nd and 3rd option predetermined.

Being in the IT industry I am also keen to make sure the right choices are made when it comes to the electrical selections. I rang Argus a couple of weeks in advance and spoke to the guy who runs the business. I asked specific questions about what I had in mind and his advise was extremely useful. Further I kept pestering the SC at the display centre for a basic electrical plan for house and he came through (with copies) and I proceeded to drAw all over it to my hearts content. Downlights, ceiling fans, data points, additional powerpoints, all as a result of the conversations I had with industry experts. Speaking to a couple of guys in the home theatre world, and checking out some fitouts and configurations (courtesy of Evolved Living in Hawthorn), I was feeling pretty comfortable walking into the electrical selection. Alas the consultant who was very good with lights, power, home theatre and audio was a little less comfortable when it came to the data and home automation side of things. However a few referred questions to her colleague and basic knowledge of what is possible and we were able to meet our requirements.

Then there was the tiles. I don't know how may times we have received the documents and signed the PCV because the selection details weren't quite right. A REALLY BIG pat on the back to our CSC who was diligent with the detail, and kept at it until it was correct. Better to have the headache now with documentation rather than be short on tiles later.

Ultimately though, to this point in the process the phrase "Google Is Your Friend" is not to be ignored. Whenever I have had a question, before asking someone I have done the research on the internet. Forums, product reviews and comparisons, or even just basic information about product specifications and pricing. Yes I have missed bits and pieces along the way but I (I should say we) are confident that we have got it right.

Hoping that this post instills a little positivity into the building experience for you all and that any issues are just speed humps along the way to keep the journey interesting.

Cheers ... Rob

Smart cookies you two
joles
Hi Ebony,
I'm not in the habit of builder bashing, and I do understand that some issues are beyond the control of PD. Here is some feedback regarding the company's processes that I hope you pass on to head office.

I've been on this forum a few years, and have been in my home for around 18 months. We dealt with 2 other builders before we built with PD. I think I have a fairly comprehensive understanding of the processes of not only PD, but other builders as well. Over the last few years on this forum, I've regularly seen the same complaints concerning PD's processes.

There are two major points that keep being raised over and over and over again about PD's processes that continually upset and frustrate their customers. Both concern selections which as you can imagine are of primary importance to most people.

1. The sales consultants at the displays do not have a list of what has been used in that display regarding colours etc. Other builders have this information in an easy to use format that the consultants can access. Surely it is not unreasonable for a client to be able to ask what laminate is in a bathroom and get a quick answer on the spot rather than have to email Hopetoun and then wait weeks for a response? And surely it would take some pressure off Hopetoun to not have to deal with so many email and phone enquiries?

2. The unavailability of pricing until tender. This is incredibly frustrating for people who are trying to budget. And it is bordering on unfair to be asking clients to make decisions regarding thousands of dollars literally in a few minutes. Most people want to have an idea of pricing and then be able to think about and make an informed decision regarding their purchase, not get their pricing and then make the decision on the spot. This would also most likely cut down on work for CSCs as they wouldn't be dealing with quite so many variations as clients wouldn't be going home and rethinking things and then changing their mind. That thought process would have happened before tender. No-one is asking for to the dollar figures, but a ballpark would be nice. For clients to be getting this information of a forum rather than off their builder in order to budget, is quite ridiculous.

As I said, I've been on this forum a long time, and these are the two primary issues that get raised time and time again concerning PD. There have been a number of posters on this forum that chose not to build with PD purely because of the lack of transparency regarding pricing in the early part of the process.

Hi joles,
Firstly, thank you for your honesty and feedback on the forum, we appreciate you brining these issues to our attention and also value the fact that you have been on the forum for some time and have a lot of experience with building homes. You can be sure to know that I have passed on your feedback to the PD office. It is very important to us to have an understanding of what our clients want to improve the build process. Cheers, Ebony
Thanks building1.

We are also building the Ivanhoe 36. But we have made the games room a 5th bedroom (as we have 4 kids and want each to have their own room). Moved the alfresco to where the Rumpus room is because our next door neighbour is putting up a double storey. We couldn't live with sitting in the original alfresco spot looking at brick wall. The dining stayed put. The lounge is now where the original alfresco was and we have converted the orignal lounge to the rumpus room for the kids. Which is closer to their bedrooms. We will put a french door in the hallway between the kitchen and new rumpus room to shut off any noises the kids will make while playing their WII games and play fighting etc.... And also waiting on approval and price to put columns in the Rumpus and Lounge as per the Waldorf pics below. Also we love the entrance tiles of the Waldorf which we may put only at the front entrance and have a French door as the entrance door and as mentioned earlier french doors between the new rumpus and kitchen. The rest will be floorboards, tiles to Laundry and bathrooms and carpet to bedrooms and Rumpus. Our tile selection is next week.

Hoping it will all works out fine. We are getting excited now.

http://www.porterdavis.com.au/#/homeviewer/waldorf/48

eli-kay123
Thanks building1.

We are also building the Ivanhoe 36. But we have made the games room a 5th bedroom (as we have 4 kids and want each to have their own room). Moved the alfresco to where the Rumpus room is because our next door neighbour is putting up a double storey. We couldn't live with sitting in the original alfresco spot looking at brick wall. The dining stayed put. The lounge is now where the original alfresco was and we have converted the orignal lounge to the rumpus room for the kids. Which is closer to their bedrooms. We will put a french door in the hallway between the kitchen and new rumpus room to shut off any noises the kids will make while playing their WII games and play fighting etc.... And also waiting on approval and price to put columns in the Rumpus and Lounge as per the Waldorf pics below. Also we love the entrance tiles of the Waldorf which we may put only at the front entrance and have a French door as the entrance door and as mentioned earlier french doors between the new rumpus and kitchen. The rest will be floorboards, tiles to Laundry and bathrooms and carpet to bedrooms and Rumpus. Our tile selection is next week.

Hoping it will all works out fine. We are getting excited now.

Bugger! The attachment didn't take you directly to what I wanted to show you. Just click on the lounge and go to the Williams Landing display and there are 2 pics of the columns I am talking about.
eli-kay123
Bugger! The attachment didn't take you directly to what I wanted to show you. Just click on the lounge and go to the Williams Landing display and there are 2 pics of the columns I am talking about.

I had a look LOL

Love the columns

Don't you just fall in love with the displays?
eli-kay123
humble
Rups
Interesting that Hopetoun knew Monday but our CS or the Prestige office didn't know yesterday!

Ding Ding!

Eli, seems a acceptable outcome. They look quite light in the pictures online. Hope they work out for you!

Hi Humble,

Hi eli-kay123,
I am really pleased to read your post and hear that you had a good experience at your appointment with Hopetoun. I’m sure it’s a relief to know that you have that extra time to research your bricks and be 100% happy with your selection. Your Building Coordinator is the best person to speak with if you have any questions or unsure about something but please know that I am here to offer assist and help where possible too. Cheers, Ebony
Hi eli-kay123,

Could you please let me know how you have posted the picture....

I have posted a pic long time back & my memory is very weak
Roshi
Hi eli-kay123,

Firstly you need to upload it to www.imageshack.us

Once done, there will be a section to copy the 'forum code' just copy and paste that and your done.
Thanks for the prompt feedback Humble.....

humble
Roshi
Hi eli-kay123,

Firstly you need to upload it to http://www.imageshack.us

Once done, there will be a section to copy the 'forum code' just copy and paste that and your done.
Is there anyone who has build or building a Lifestyle double story house in this forum, the only one whome I know is Karmaz.

I just need to verify the standard tapware of the Powder Room. I have not upgraded this & it is coming up with the seperate hot & cold taps.

When I looked at my colour Selection docs it is mentioned as: "Atlanta Wall top with Academy spout".

I would like to verify whether it is the Set no 1 or 3 based on the picture, which I have attached in this post.

[img][IMG]http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/4112/powderroomtapware.jpg[/img]/[/img]

My Hopetoun Consultant showed me the No 1 as the standard & as it looks good I did not upgrade the tapware of the Powder Room, but now once the installation has been done its No 3, which I do not like................

Cheers...
humble
Roshi
Hi eli-kay123,

Firstly you need to upload it to http://www.imageshack.us

Hey Humble, thanks for letting Roshi know.

I had trouble as I wasn't sure. It's been a while for me too. I found by clicking on the URL box while typing up a post it inserts 2 [URL] [URL]and in between I inserted the http:// address. With uploading my photo's I use photobucket.com.
I have time to go see these bricks, but the wifey wants to wait till Saturday..
building1
eli-kay123

I had a look LOL

Love the columns

Yes 95% of the displays are to die for. I know that I will never get it to that standard of look. There is alot of money gone into the displays, eg. furniture, lighting, paints, doors etc to get to that level which I know I could never, but am trying while still trying to keep to our budget.
eli-kay123
building1
eli-kay123

I had a look LOL

Love the columns

Yes 95% of the displays are to die for. I know that I will never get it to that standard of look. There is alot of money gone into the displays, eg. furniture, lighting, paints, doors etc to get to that level which I know I could never, but am trying while still trying to keep to our budget.

your will get there
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum