Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 113 of 862
Team PD
Hi HomeOne Members,

It’s come to my attention that there is a lot of discussion about brick options being discontinued over the last few days and I just want to clear this up with you. I hear that communication is key to you all so I’m sure you can appreciate to know that some of our suppliers don’t let PD know that there are changes to their lines or brick options are being discontinued until after it’s happened. This isn’t the first time this issue has come up, and we absolutely understand why this may be frustrating for you, as it is for us. We aren’t trying to be annoying or make things difficult for you. The best way to have your questions answered is to approach your Building Coordinator, instead of making statements that may be incorrect or lacking information. Or if you read something on the forum and want to know what effect it’s going to have with your selections or build, your Building Coordinator will be able to let you know.

I can confirm with you now that due to an unexpected technical issue at one of the Austral plants the ‘Hawthorn’ has been withdrawn slightly earlier. Unfortunately we had not been directly notified by Austral and are working very quickly to find alternative options. We will be notifying those regional offices that have clients with existing orders that may be affected. Clients will be encouraged to speak with their Building Coordinator about resolution options and can visit the Hopetoun Interiors Showroom to review the revised range. On occasions like this with manufactures making changes to lines after clients have had their selection appointment they are contacted by their regional office and asked to re-select an alternative and avoid site delays.

Normally when we are informed in advance of bricks being discontinued we withdraw it from the selection range completely to avoid a situation like this. We do work with clients to find the best option within the selection range at the time of their appointment.

To help you understand further why this can happen we have a great blog post that I recommend you read…... http://blog.porterdavis.com.au/index.ph ... selection/

To Team PD,

Firstly, it's too late for us because we have colour selection tomorrow. Secondly, you mention the Hawthorn, we are after the Cotham. So are you saying we can still get the Cotham. Thirdly, PD need to discuss with Austral and all their other suppliers that this is not good enough. If they are going to discontinue or change products etc effecting PD you should have a clause in place with them to notify PD well in advance so you can then relay it to your clients. I'm sure Austral has known about the plant closure and discontinuation of certain bricks months before. The didn't decide this on Friday night. Step up your game PD. As for us we were waiting on a call back today from the PD Western office for our brick query. No call came so we rang 3.30pm to find that the person who was meant to get back to us didn't turn up for work today.
We are hoping she will call us before our colour selection tomorrow so we know where we stand. By what has happened and with such short notice I can see there is no way we can select our bricks by tomorrow. If we see a new brick we may like, there is no way we can make a decison by looking at a sheet of 4 bricks as you won't see much of the variances the bricks have and obviously there will be no homes built at this stage because the bricks are just new. Hopefully we will find a brick that wasn't discontinued and go driving for hours this weekend again looking at different homes with the brick(s) we re-select. I would expect PD and Hopetoun to be accommodating in regards to this issue that has arised and I speak for others in the same situation, that we made need more time to make the brick selection. There is no way we could make a brick selection by tomorrow until we've reviewed the bricks further. We've only had 2 days notice.
Team PD
Hi HomeOne Members,

It’s come to my attention that there is a lot of discussion about brick options being discontinued over the last few days and I just want to clear this up with you. I hear that communication is key to you all so I’m sure you can appreciate to know that some of our suppliers don’t let PD know that there are changes to their lines or brick options are being discontinued until after it’s happened. This isn’t the first time this issue has come up, and we absolutely understand why this may be frustrating for you, as it is for us. We aren’t trying to be annoying or make things difficult for you. The best way to have your questions answered is to approach your Building Coordinator, instead of making statements that may be incorrect or lacking information. Or if you read something on the forum and want to know what effect it’s going to have with your selections or build, your Building Coordinator will be able to let you know.

I can confirm with you now that due to an unexpected technical issue at one of the Austral plants the ‘Hawthorn’ has been withdrawn slightly earlier. Unfortunately we had not been directly notified by Austral and are working very quickly to find alternative options. We will be notifying those regional offices that have clients with existing orders that may be affected. Clients will be encouraged to speak with their Building Coordinator about resolution options and can visit the Hopetoun Interiors Showroom to review the revised range. On occasions like this with manufactures making changes to lines after clients have had their selection appointment they are contacted by their regional office and asked to re-select an alternative and avoid site delays.

Normally when we are informed in advance of bricks being discontinued we withdraw it from the selection range completely to avoid a situation like this. We do work with clients to find the best option within the selection range at the time of their appointment.

To help you understand further why this can happen we have a great blog post that I recommend you read…... http://blog.porterdavis.com.au/index.ph ... selection/

1) My CSC emailed me this morning at 9.15am stating the Hawthornes were available..
2) The Manager at Thomstown Austral advised me at 10:17am that there is only enough bricks for those who currently have orders placed, all new brick orders cannot be accepted.
3) Another person i spoke to at Austral has advised me that Builders were notified before Monday
4) I had my tender yesterday, it was even re-estimated while I was in your office..

You have stated that statements have been made that lacked information or were incorrect. So far, everything stated here has been proven valid so far. So while I understand Team PD would be frustrated just as clients we are frustrated, to state that posts are incorrect is a bit of comedy, so far, PD as a organisation have continued to advise us they are available, when they are clearly not.

Your blog post makes it seem like its a minor detail, trust me, its far from the truth. That said, if the Hawksburn is the Austral colour that best suits our needs then we will be asking for this to be supplied. And we will push ahead with that, if its not a approriate solution or PD do not approve the brick, then I do not really know where I will go.

So while I appreciate that this would be frustrating for a builder, you must realise, the internet allows information to flow quicker, Eli made a very simple post late yesterday, since then its been confirmed multiple times through multiple parties yet we all wait for PD to advise us. I appreciate that Team PD have advised a public forum of the brick problem, and the cancellation of multiple styles (Canterbury is another) but I am still yet to be advised personally.. and I am a client.

/rant
Rups
humble
Anyway, it seems hawksburn will be our option at this stage.. waiting on rups to pm me the address

I've PM'd you - not sure if you got it though... seems to be stuck in my Outbox...

Thanks Rups, our addresses match
Ill go look at them tomorrow afternoon..
humble
Team PD
Hi HomeOne Members,

1) My CSC emailed me this morning at 9.15am stating the Hawthornes were available..
2) The Manager at Thomstown Austral advised me at 10:17am that there is only enough bricks for those who currently have orders placed, all new brick orders cannot be accepted.
3) Another person i spoke to at Austral has advised me that Builders were notified before Monday
4) I had my tender yesterday, it was even re-estimated while I was in your office..

You have stated that statements have been made that lacked information or were incorrect. So far, everything stated here has been proven valid so far. So while I understand Team PD would be frustrated just as clients we are frustrated, to state that posts are incorrect is a bit of comedy, so far, PD as a organisation have continued to advise us they are available, when they are clearly not.

Your blog post makes it seem like its a minor detail, trust me, its far from the truth. That said, if the Hawksburn is the Austral colour that best suits our needs then we will be asking for this to be supplied. And we will push ahead with that, if its not a approriate solution or PD do not approve the brick, then I do not really know where I will go.

So while I appreciate that this would be frustrating for a builder, you must realise, the internet allows information to flow quicker, Eli made a very simple post late yesterday, since then its been confirmed multiple times through multiple parties yet we all wait for PD to advise us. I appreciate that Team PD have advised a public forum of the brick problem, and the cancellation of multiple styles (Canterbury is another) but I am still yet to be advised personally.. and I am a client.

/rant

Love your work Humble....

Austral have told me these are the bricks that have been discontinued: Lawson, La Trobe, Canterbury 76 and 50, Cotham 76 and 50, Newport 76 and 50, Hawthorn 76 and 50 and maybe the Parchment and Lonsdale but can't confirm for sure on the last two bricks. Their brochure was given to me with the discontinued bricks cross out in pen.
Omg ive just read all posts from today! Bricks, bricks, bricks!!!!
Crazy people's!!!
Pick 3 and hooefully 1 will be available!
Mel
eli-kay123

Austral have told me these are the bricks that have been discontinued: Lawson, La Trobe, Canterbury 76 and 50, Cotham 76 and 50, Newport 76 and 50, Hawthorn 76 and 50 and maybe the Parchment and Lonsdale but can't confirm for sure on the last two bricks. Their brochure was given to me with the discontinued bricks cross out in pen.

Bleh.. didnt enjoy writing that post at all, but sorry, incorrect and uninformed did it for me, if anything I am more informed then the people that should be informed, its extremely mediocre. I was over the bricks, but that post just blew me up, poor wifey had to listen to me rant for the last 5 mins, I should let her loose on here, she is fuming.

Onwards and upwards, they say knowledge is power, and right now I am a step ahead, I have researched my replacements and will be going to inspect them tomorrow.
mel_mox
Omg ive just read all posts from today! Bricks, bricks, bricks!!!!
Crazy people's!!!
Pick 3 and hooefully 1 will be available!
Mel

Hi mel-mox

All of the bricks that I chose as 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice were all discontinued. I think I better stop playing tatts because it seems luck isn't on my side.
humble
eli-kay123

Bleh.. didnt enjoy writing that post at all, but sorry, incorrect and uninformed did it for me, if anything I am more informed then the people that should be informed, its extremely mediocre. I was over the bricks, but that post just blew me up, poor wifey had to listen to me rant for the last 5 mins, I should let her loose on here, she is fuming.

Onwards and upwards, they say knowledge is power, and right now I am a step ahead, I have researched my replacements and will be going to inspect them tomorrow.

I hear you Humble,

That's why I also had something to say to Team PD in a few post above yours.

Good luck for tomorrow anyway.
Wont get to look at those bricks today, too much work on. Good Luck with your colors I would love to hear how you got on.

The wife made a great comment in the car this morning.. the most stressful part of this journey so far has been colors, the time and effort, and indecision involved in picking colors puts a lot of stress on everybody, we all know we want the house thats for us (thats why we build), we just want them done, then we can get on with it.

**** happens, suppliers move stuff about, so be it.. Its the communication (or lack there of) that is the most disappointing.

Edit: Received Official Notification of the Brick Issue this morning via Email.
eli-kay123
Team PD
Hi HomeOne Members,

To Team PD,

Firstly, it's too late for us because we have colour selection tomorrow. Secondly, you mention the Hawthorn, we are after the Cotham. So are you saying we can still get the Cotham. Thirdly, PD need to discuss with Austral and all their other suppliers that this is not good enough. If they are going to discontinue or change products etc effecting PD you should have a clause in place with them to notify PD well in advance so you can then relay it to your clients. I'm sure Austral has known about the plant closure and discontinuation of certain bricks months before. The didn't decide this on Friday night. Step up your game PD. As for us we were waiting on a call back today from the PD Western office for our brick query. No call came so we rang 3.30pm to find that the person who was meant to get back to us didn't turn up for work today.
We are hoping she will call us before our colour selection tomorrow so we know where we stand. By what has happened and with such short notice I can see there is no way we can select our bricks by tomorrow. If we see a new brick we may like, there is no way we can make a decison by looking at a sheet of 4 bricks as you won't see much of the variances the bricks have and obviously there will be no homes built at this stage because the bricks are just new. Hopefully we will find a brick that wasn't discontinued and go driving for hours this weekend again looking at different homes with the brick(s) we re-select. I would expect PD and Hopetoun to be accommodating in regards to this issue that has arised and I speak for others in the same situation, that we made need more time to make the brick selection. There is no way we could make a brick selection by tomorrow until we've reviewed the bricks further. We've only had 2 days notice.

Hi eli-kay123,
Thank you for your post. I do hear your frustration and understand where you are coming from. I value your comments and feedback, and will pass it on to the PD office. Improving customer service is important to us. I would also suggest you give all this feedback to your Building Coordinator, are they aware of your concerns regarding your selections and feeling like you don’t have enough time? They really are the best person to assist and help you with any questions you have. Please know that I am also here to assist where possible and you can PM me at any time. Regards, Ebony
I read the forum after few days & lot of discussions had carried out with regard to the discontinued bricks.

I have heard from many people that while building a house, they have to re-select stuff mainly like bricks & tiles.

It would have been a nightmare as we all select either bricks or tiles based on our external & internal colour theme.

In my case I had the colour selections in August 2010 was quite lucky that I did not have to walk to the hopetoun premises for re-selections.

All the best for people who are facing this brick war...

Cheers..
Rups
Hi Team PD,

That PD blog you referred to makes it sound a lot simpler than it actually is. This from the blog:

"If you’re stuck for ideas when rechoosing your bricks, the best thing to do is visit one of our display homes so you can see the brick ‘in-action’".

In my experience, Hopetoun is not able to help you with what is in a display home unless you ask "Can you tell me what that ______ is on display at _______"?
When I have asked them to tell me where (for example) Mink Caesarstone might be displayed, they can't.

When I have been to displays and have asked the SC for the name of the brick used etc. some will help and look up their file, some will even give you a copy of the colours file. But the majority will say they don't have it and refer you to Hopetoun. You're in luck if someone from Hopetoun answers the phone or even calls you back.

I am not sure what the answer is to this, but I have found this quite frustrating and not good customer service.

Hi Rups,
I am sorry to hear that you’ve experienced frustration and difficulties when asking about selection options and customer service at Hopetoun. With regards to assistance on selections, Hopetoun are the correct people to ask so I will pass on your customer service feedback to the PD Office. The display homes are more of a visual experience so the SC isn’t trained in all the selection options. I hope this helps. If you do have further questions please send me a PM and I can also help where possible. Cheers, Ebony
tstr1a
I've called Hopeturn over 50 times and not once has anyone ever returned my call.
I have even PM team PD asking for the wall colour of the Waldorf display at Kingsford Estate and still no answer.

All to hard!

My CSC is the best and I can relie on her.

Hi Tstr1a,
It’s truly disappointing to hear that you’ve had such difficulties contacting Hopetoun and that no one has returned your call. I will pass your customer service feedback onto the PD office and let them know of your frustrations. I am glad to know that you can rely on your CSC and that you have that support from them. With the regards the paint colour, I’m sorry that no one has been in contact with you, your details were passed on – where you still interested in the colour, would you like me to follow this up for you? Regards, Ebony
Hi Ebony,
I'm not in the habit of builder bashing, and I do understand that some issues are beyond the control of PD. Here is some feedback regarding the company's processes that I hope you pass on to head office.

I've been on this forum a few years, and have been in my home for around 18 months. We dealt with 2 other builders before we built with PD. I think I have a fairly comprehensive understanding of the processes of not only PD, but other builders as well. Over the last few years on this forum, I've regularly seen the same complaints concerning PD's processes.

There are two major points that keep being raised over and over and over again about PD's processes that continually upset and frustrate their customers. Both concern selections which as you can imagine are of primary importance to most people.

1. The sales consultants at the displays do not have a list of what has been used in that display regarding colours etc. Other builders have this information in an easy to use format that the consultants can access. Surely it is not unreasonable for a client to be able to ask what laminate is in a bathroom and get a quick answer on the spot rather than have to email Hopetoun and then wait weeks for a response? And surely it would take some pressure off Hopetoun to not have to deal with so many email and phone enquiries?

2. The unavailability of pricing until tender. This is incredibly frustrating for people who are trying to budget. And it is bordering on unfair to be asking clients to make decisions regarding thousands of dollars literally in a few minutes. Most people want to have an idea of pricing and then be able to think about and make an informed decision regarding their purchase, not get their pricing and then make the decision on the spot. This would also most likely cut down on work for CSCs as they wouldn't be dealing with quite so many variations as clients wouldn't be going home and rethinking things and then changing their mind. That thought process would have happened before tender. No-one is asking for to the dollar figures, but a ballpark would be nice. For clients to be getting this information of a forum rather than off their builder in order to budget, is quite ridiculous.

As I said, I've been on this forum a long time, and these are the two primary issues that get raised time and time again concerning PD. There have been a number of posters on this forum that chose not to build with PD purely because of the lack of transparency regarding pricing in the early part of the process.
Team PD
tstr1a
I've called Hopeturn over 50 times and not once has anyone ever returned my call.
I have even PM team PD asking for the wall colour of the Waldorf display at Kingsford Estate and still no answer.

All to hard!

My CSC is the best and I can relie on her.

Hi Tstr1a,
It’s truly disappointing to hear that you’ve had such difficulties contacting Hopetoun and that no one has returned your call. I will pass your customer service feedback onto the PD office and let them know of your frustrations. I am glad to know that you can rely on your CSC and that you have that support from them. With the regards the paint colour, I’m sorry that no one has been in contact with you, your details were passed on – where you still interested in the colour, would you like me to follow this up for you? Regards, Ebony

So far I’m a really happy customer and would grade my experience as excellent. The only expectation was the weekend staff at Hopetoun. Everyone else at PD has exceeded my expectations and Hopetoun needs to pick up their game. I must also add that our colour consultant was excellent as well. Just the weekend staff and trying to get someone from Hopetoun to call me back.

I say it again ... my CSC is “THE BEST”. Please tell management to give her a pay rise, she deserves it.
Team PD
eli-kay123
Team PD
Hi HomeOne Members,

To Team PD,

Hi eli-kay123,
Thank you for your post. I do hear your frustration and understand where you are coming from. I value your comments and feedback, and will pass it on to the PD office. Improving customer service is important to us. I would also suggest you give all this feedback to your Building Coordinator, are they aware of your concerns regarding your selections and feeling like you don’t have enough time? They really are the best person to assist and help you with any questions you have. Please know that I am also here to assist where possible and you can PM me at any time. Regards, Ebony

Hi Ebony (Team PD)

Today day we had electrical and colour selections. I will say the girls at Hopetoun were really good. Thinking I would have one of the most stressful days the whole process actually wasn't stressful at all. At colour selection the girl understood our situation regarding the bricks and we did tell were we weren't picking bricks and externals until we knew what was going on as we didn't have a clue on what brick we were going to choose. Anyway, she brought her manager to speak to us and she was also very nice and helpful, but did say that we must pick the bricks and externals today in order to proceed and we had 48 hours to come back to them to change the brick if we found something different. The manager showed us all new the bricks they had at this stage but we said we needed more than 48hrs to decide as we needed this weekend to do our research. Anyway, we spoke to the western office and given our situation they said that we can have up until contract date (16 July) to change the bricks if need be. So we were a little relieved. We chose a brick "Buckwheat" in the Harvest range. Over the course of day the brick colour had grown on us and it may just work out, but we will see what happens between now and July 16. At this stage we can't complain, I can say PD and Hopetoun have been very accommodating so far. Hopetoun only got word of the brick issue on Monday. Today they put up the new bricks. I think there was about 8 of them and from my understanding there is still more to come that will replace the Canterbury, Lawson, LaTrobe, Hawthorn, Cotham, etc. They didn't have the Aurburn or Hawksburn in there showroom today, I believe they will be in there soon along with the others.
Interesting that Hopetoun knew Monday but our CS or the Prestige office didn't know yesterday!
Rups
Interesting that Hopetoun knew Monday but our CS or the Prestige office didn't know yesterday!

Ding Ding!

Eli, seems a acceptable outcome. They look quite light in the pictures online. Hope they work out for you!
humble
Rups

Ding Ding!

Eli, seems a acceptable outcome. They look quite light in the pictures online. Hope they work out for you!

Hi Humble,

The Austral website do the bricks no justice. Here is a pic I took today.

Austral: Buckwheat Harvest Range
Hi All, this is R from MnR ... have read lots of rants and many less raves in the last couple of days so thought I would share some experiences of our process thus far, to hopefully assist in reaching solutions to the problems. After all a forum is only as good as the quality of its content.

On our very first visit to the Lifestyle display centre at Marriot Waters we asked lots of questions and got lots of answers, We also got a document from the SC with the details of the fitout of one of the houses including prices. OK there's a little home work to go through and work it out but it had everything (literally everything) in it. Also on the day we signed up we had a great chat with out SC and he indicated that one of the houses had around $100K worth of upgrades and extras. From this we were quickly able to do some homework on setting the budget for the build and then working within that.

After spending most weekends for 2 months looking at display houses and showrooms, we too were advised of discontinued items and option changes on the day of our colour selections at Hopetoun. OK it wasn't the bricks that changed but the door furniture selection, however the issue remains the same. We had agonised over our selections for the door styles and door furniture ("do we upgrade don't we upgrade", "did you check out those doors and handles" etc) only to have to scrub the selection we made and come up with a decision in a matter of minutes. We achieved this relatively painlessly by taking the earlier advice of the Hopetoun Consultants and having a 2nd and 3rd option predetermined.

Being in the IT industry I am also keen to make sure the right choices are made when it comes to the electrical selections. I rang Argus a couple of weeks in advance and spoke to the guy who runs the business. I asked specific questions about what I had in mind and his advise was extremely useful. Further I kept pestering the SC at the display centre for a basic electrical plan for house and he came through (with copies) and I proceeded to drAw all over it to my hearts content. Downlights, ceiling fans, data points, additional powerpoints, all as a result of the conversations I had with industry experts. Speaking to a couple of guys in the home theatre world, and checking out some fitouts and configurations (courtesy of Evolved Living in Hawthorn), I was feeling pretty comfortable walking into the electrical selection. Alas the consultant who was very good with lights, power, home theatre and audio was a little less comfortable when it came to the data and home automation side of things. However a few referred questions to her colleague and basic knowledge of what is possible and we were able to meet our requirements.

Then there was the tiles. I don't know how may times we have received the documents and signed the PCV because the selection details weren't quite right. A REALLY BIG pat on the back to our CSC who was diligent with the detail, and kept at it until it was correct. Better to have the headache now with documentation rather than be short on tiles later.

Ultimately though, to this point in the process the phrase "Google Is Your Friend" is not to be ignored. Whenever I have had a question, before asking someone I have done the research on the internet. Forums, product reviews and comparisons, or even just basic information about product specifications and pricing. Yes I have missed bits and pieces along the way but I (I should say we) are confident that we have got it right.

Hoping that this post instills a little positivity into the building experience for you all and that any issues are just speed humps along the way to keep the journey interesting.

Cheers ... Rob
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum