Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Masterton Homes - The next thread 4.0

Page 12 of 730
That's great news!! Things are powering along for you
ben+lisa
Vatche
Same with our shower screen door gap. M says the standard allows 5mm gap (Not that they show you the standard, or you can get hold of it, so you are just taking their word for it.) and we still get some water.

Maybe we should ask them to send a copy of the standards that define it?
At least we will know for sure.

Hey that's such a shame that m aren't all over it, the leaking shower would p you off every day, and for the small cracks both of these are cheap repairs but would be massive for customer satisfaction.

Having said that, just last Sunday night I emailed my SS about some roof rain water leak we had during the last (well, our first) gentle rain, under the front door portico. I had a repairman come in today and seal the joints on the gutters. I did not expect this to be done till our 90 day warranty repair list.

I'm hoping they will also take care of the minor items on my list.

As to our shower door gap, the technician said it is within the standard tolerance limit, but I think it is B.S. and they do not want to replace the door. I will have to follow this up with M and see how far I can get to get it replaced. Otherwise YES, it for P me off every time we shower.
Vatche, that's really disappointing that is their attitude. After spending so much money with them you would think its the least they could do. Hopefully they will get their act together and fix it.

Update: we sold our house on the weekend so the packing starts to move in with my parents.
So it's a really happening now!
Guys,
one thing that MH really P* off is the cost of Ceiling Height upgrade from 2600 to 2735mm.
i'm feeling like being ripped off, as when i asked for upgrade from 2440 to 2735 then cost around $7k (house is about 26sq), but when you took the "yes include package, pay $12.5k extra", it come with 2600m ceiling height, and then ask just to upgrade from 2600mm to 2735mm then the cost is nearly $5k, why?

can any one please tell me or come a cross single storey display home some where that have 2.6m ceiling? as i want to see if it really worth the upgrade?

thanks
sunny
For those who have not done their colour consultation and the like so far, we went onto the polytech site and actually ordered some samples (for free). I thought they might not send them as we are not a business but low and behold, they must have posted them the next day.

This is going to be very handy when choosing colours to have your samples right next to you. I'm also very happy that I get a closer look and feel of the product!! Well done polytech!
Sunny16
Guys,
one thing that MH really P* off is the cost of Ceiling Height upgrade from 2600 to 2735mm.
i'm feeling like being ripped off, as when i asked for upgrade from 2440 to 2735 then cost around $7 (house is about 26sq), but when you took the "yes include package, pay $12.5k extra", it come with 2600m ceiling height, and then ask just to upgrade from 2600mm to 2735mm then the cost is nearly $5k, why?

can any one please tell me or come a cross single storey display home some where that have 2.6m ceiling? as i want to see if it really worth the upgrade?

thanks
sunny

hi sunny16, yes i am building with Eden Brae at oran park town and increased ceiling from normal to 2.6 for hamilton 31 house and they charged me $4800, yes heigh ceiling will make a huge difference to your house, its worth it
Update about our new neighbours - received a letter yesterday from council about the house they want to build and lo and behold they are building with M. Will be interesting to watch to see if they go through some of the same problems as we did and if they have the same SS/contractors. One thing I thought of too was that if there are any problems with our new house the contractors wont have to go to far - Hee hee
hassanbegg
Sunny16
Guys,
i'm feeling like being ripped off, as when i asked for upgrade from 2440 to 2735 then cost around $7 (house is about 26sq), but when you took the "yes include package, pay $12.5k extra", it come with 2600m ceiling height, and then ask just to upgrade from 2600mm to 2735mm then the cost is nearly $5k, why?

thanks
sunny

hi sunny16, yes i am building with Eden Brae at oran park town and increased ceiling from normal to 2.6 for hamilton 31 house and they charged me $4800, yes heigh ceiling will make a huge difference to your house, its worth it

Unfortunately, due to building height restrictions with our council, we could not go higher ceilings on the lower ground. We just made it to the max with current standard heights. Otherwise, we would have opted for 2.6m high.

So, we never got the chance to look at the price difference and sorry I cannot comment. But the price differance does not make sense
Guys,

Whats a good price per square for concrete?
I had a quote for $90 for coloured, $65 for normal..

JUst working out numbers for driveway and the back yard..I wish M did driveways..So much hassle.
Hey Guys,

A few things I've been meaning to ask you all.

Vatche I know you ended up putting sound proof insulation to the whole house - what did they charge you for that and do you think it was worth it. If anyone else has experience with this let us know.

With the colour choices do they only let you have one internal colour for paint? Is that the same colour to the walls, ceilings and skirting boards? Can you pay extra to have feature walls added?

Has anyone chosen a white wall colour and skirting board colour that they absolutely love (I've seen many of you comment that you're not sure it was the right white). We would like as bright and white as possible I think (Will contrast with our dark bamboo floors)

Has anyone chosen really dark floorboards or dark bamboo?

Do they let you choose different tile colours for bathroom, ensuite and laundry or is it extra to choose different ones.

Has anyone asked for a cavity to be built into the shower wall. Can you tell me the dimensions they use.

Thanks everyone. Learning lots from this site. Great to be a part of the community.
In regards to drains.

Does M have to put one where each tap is, including where the recycled water is? On one side of the side house I have one where there are two taps, one for the normal water and one for the recycled. On the other side there is just a recycled water tap and no drain...

So many little things M doesnt tell you about.
Cello_Collaroy
Hey Guys,

With the colour choices do they only let you have one internal colour for paint? Is that the same colour to the walls, ceilings and skirting boards? Can you pay extra to have feature walls added?

Do they let you choose different tile colours for bathroom, ensuite and laundry or is it extra to choose different ones.

Its the same across all three for tiles. I think its extra to change them.

Off memory there are a few basic colours in regards to painting., and I think if most of them are extras. I wanted one room in grey and it would of been extra. So I decided to do it myself.

kix007
Guys,

Whats a good price per square for concrete?
I had a quote for $90 for coloured, $65 for normal..

JUst working out numbers for driveway and the back yard..I wish M did driveways..So much hassle.

The price depends on the grade of the concrete, as well as the thickness. Normally 120mm thick at 24 grade.

They sound about right comparing to ours. We paid $120/sqm for matching colourbond, which is normally more expensive than standard colour. We had on average quoted $140/sqm for colourbond.
Cello_Collaroy
Hey Guys,

Vatche I know you ended up putting sound proof insulation to the whole house - what did they charge you for that and do you think it was worth it. If anyone else has experience with this let us know.

Has anyone chosen a white wall colour and skirting board colour that they absolutely love (I've seen many of you comment that you're not sure it was the right white). We would like as bright and white as possible I think (Will contrast with our dark bamboo floors)

Has anyone asked for a cavity to be built into the shower wall. Can you tell me the dimensions they use.

Thanks everyone. Learning lots from this site. Great to be a part of the community.

Soundscreen was extra $2500, direct with installers (M provided contact details of external wall installers). Absolutely! Especially when we have tiled floors, it makes a difference (being a musician here too, keeps wife's TV noise down in my office/music room
). If you have theatre, it is a must. I would even install Acoustic Panels after hand-over.

Fashionable Home Theatre Acoustic Panels

With wall paint, you get to choose one colour everywhere, including skirting. Ceiling is white, but to get white walls, you have to pay extra!
You can ask for different colours for each room, for a price. We did ice white, then painted feature walls after hand-over at the fraction of M's asking price for different colours.

That's it! That's all I can help you today
kix007
In regards to drains.

Does M have to put one where each tap is, including where the recycled water is? On one side of the side house I have one where there are two taps, one for the normal water and one for the recycled. On the other side there is just a recycled water tap and no drain...

So many little things M doesnt tell you about.

You are lucky to get a drain! We didn't get any drains for outdoor water taps. Apart from the fact that they made a mess of our water plumbing on top...
Extra for white?? Very strange... A lot extra? What do the acoustic panels do Vatche?

Do you like ice white? You previously said that you thought it was a little too dark on your walls...what did you think once it was finished and furniture in?

Thanks for your feedback Vatche and to you too Kix007
Cello_Collaroy
Extra for white?? Very strange... A lot extra? What do the acoustic panels do Vatche?

Do you like ice white? You previously said that you thought it was a little too dark on your walls...what did you think once it was finished and furniture in?

Thanks for your feedback Vatche and to you too Kix007

Yes, one would thnk white would be the cheapest, but it is not. It is extra.

If you look at our walls, it it white, until you place a real white item, e.g. our cupboard panel. But yes, we are happy with the colour. White-white I think will not look as good, you need some shade. My 2 cents.

As to the acoustic panels for the theatre room, they will absorb the sound bouncing off the walls and reduce echo, thus reducing the sound travelling outside the room. You can get away with by placing lot of furniture and wall paintings, but it won't be as good.

We do not have home theatre but I have music room with special wall acoustic panels and the difference is mountains (well for a muso like me
)

here is a video demo I found on youtube
Cello_Collaroy
Hey Guys,

we put sound proof insulation only in the home theatre and that cost us $496

we also picked winter ice and really happy with colour.

Pretty sure you can pick different tiles for your bathroom, laundry etc only extra if you pick tiles outside of the selection.
When we went to Don's they had different colour groups - as an example red, blue, yellow, green. Based on the gold package you could pick tiles from red and blue but if you took the mansion package you could pick from red, blue and yellow (as an example) we ended up choosing all the same tile for all inside wet areas just because I wanted it all to be the same.

Do you mean the niche? both of ours was included in our house design for en-suite and main bathroom
I had hints from Vatche to get the insulation installer phone No. from the SS. Then I upgraded all external wall insulation from normal R1.7 to Sound Screen R2.0, all internal wall from none to Sound Screen R2.0, the floor joists of the first floor from none to Sound Screen R2.0, also add normal insulation R3.0 to the garage and alfresco roof. I paid Total cost $6450 directly to the installer. Because you won't get chance to add on after house built. I am happy to hear Vatche high recommend the sound screen he put it. My house is Villina32 with attached 60 square meters granny flat. The installer will put the insulation next week.

For the internal paint colour, you can only choice one colour from the colour chart in your customer selection pack. I choices "White Spirit (NH74)", which is the closest to pure white. But you can choice different finish without extra cost. I choiced flat to the walls, full gloss to the doors, skirting and architraves. It's not worth to ask M to paint different colour for your house. You could repaint after handover. They only paint one coat undercoat and one coat paint (not enough).

Hope these would help.

Cello_Collaroy
Hey Guys,

Thanks vatche for your help.

I am a bit worried with m. I had my pci late last week and the roof tiler left whilst he was rearranging the roof tiles. We noticed he left one tile off the rood leaving a gap. I checked today and the tile had not been put back on. I r a ng my ss and he said that he will get onto tje tiler and if it needs to be painted it will.

I am worried m or the tiler will just slap on a tiler leaving the dirt or any rain damage.. I hate this as they will just want tell me what I want to hear.

Can I take a ladder there and take photos or fix it myself? ????? M has lost the ball on this one..

Any advice ???
Related
31/03/2024
Masterton Homes Hydraulics

Building A New House

Thanks again. I will ask Masterton if they do this.

28/07/2023
My builder made the wrong height door, what should I do next

Building A New House

i imagine you also have another contract with an architect? and yeah, whatever other's said about special conditions and appendices

30/10/2023
Running irrigation line under footpath (next to home)

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi all I am looking to run a water line under my concrete footpath which is directly next to my home, was seeing if this is possible without cutting the entire section…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum