Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Any experiences with Firstyle homes

Page 12 of 22
It didn't change at all but we ended up upgrading a few things like roof sarking and roof height etc

Hi there
We are considering a home and Land package to buy in Schofields by Firstyle. I wanted to ask did anyone come up with the problem of progress payment schedule? My bank is not ready to go for anything other than the HIA standard which is 5%, 10%, 15%, 35%, 25%, 10%. whereas Firstyle is asking for 1. Initial fee paid during pre construction process $15,400
2.Slab 20%
3.frames and windows 20%
4.brickwork 20%
5.roof tiles and internal linings 15%
6.internal fixout 15%
7. Practical completion - balance

Any of you experienced anything like this?
budoy
Hi,

Did the initial quote from the sales agent change much for what they charged you before the upgrades? Thinking about building with Firstyle so gathering as much info as I can. Thanks!

Yes the price quoted essentially the same before you submit all your upgrades and variations. However, in saying that the price of all our final variations added about $20K onto our package price. Just depends on what upgrades you are after and what is already on promotion from Firstyle.
So there were no nasty site costs surprises?

budoy
So there were no nasty site costs surprises?

We were also concerned with site costs before purchasing however the salesperson we dealt with at Firstyle had assured us that they will cover all site costs etc. with any house an land package. So no, we didn't encounter any extra costs in regards to that
Did anyone here also hire a building inspector? We are about to start construction and tossing up if it would be worth it?

If so, did Firstyle have any issues with having a building inspector?
hana+345
Hi there
We are considering a home and Land package to buy in Schofields by Firstyle. I wanted to ask did anyone come up with the problem of progress payment schedule? My bank is not ready to go for anything other than the HIA standard which is 5%, 10%, 15%, 35%, 25%, 10%. whereas Firstyle is asking for 1. Initial fee paid during pre construction process $15,400
2.Slab 20%
3.frames and windows 20%
4.brickwork 20%
5.roof tiles and internal linings 15%
6.internal fixout 15%
7. Practical completion - balance

Any of you experienced anything like this?

I guess it really depends on your bank and the type of loan you are going with and how your loan manager sets up the loan for you. With a construction loan for a House and Land, we had to settle the land first. So initially we have a loan just for the land and as construction starts, the progress payments will add onto the loan, if that makes sense.
The initial pre construction admin fee $15,400 Firstyle charges, is going to be credited to us from our bank during the construction which Firstyle will include in your progress payment schedule. Our bank didn't really have an issue with the progress payment, they just ensure that the price on the contract matches the amount of the loan.
Would anyone be able to give us an indication of the notice period the site inspector gives you before your appointment after the completion of each stage. One of the construction managers at Firstyle has told us that it could only be 24 hours notice they give? Is this true?

My build is about to start inside the house and I'm yet to have an appointment

mickm
My build is about to start inside the house and I'm yet to have an appointment

Oh what?! As in you have never had any appointment with your supervisor for any stage?

We were told we will get five appointments onsite with the supervisor, frames, before gyprock, before wet tiling, completion and handover.

Hi everyone!!!

Our build has now started. We visited site and saw wafflepod and steel had been laid for the slab. We are hoping the slab will be laid this week.

We have completed all appointments except tiling which we were advised comes when gyprock is going up? Which seems silly if there is stock shortages as a few people have experienced....

I am really hoping we get more notice than 24 hours for an appointment
that won't fly with hubby's work.

Will be visiting site shortly to check is the slab has been laid!

We are hoping to be in by Christmas but I'm not liking our chances after reading all of these comments!
madzzzie
Hi everyone!!!

Our build has now started. We visited site and saw wafflepod and steel had been laid for the slab. We are hoping the slab will be laid this week.

We have completed all appointments except tiling which we were advised comes when gyprock is going up? Which seems silly if there is stock shortages as a few people have experienced....

I am really hoping we get more notice than 24 hours for an appointment
that won't fly with hubby's work.

Will be visiting site shortly to check is the slab has been laid!

We are hoping to be in by Christmas but I'm not liking our chances after reading all of these comments!

Yes I am hoping that they would give us a bit more notice. I think the construction manager just emphasising they didn't want us to slow down the progress. I think it would just depend on your site supervisor? when did you receive your commencement letter and Whereabouts are you building?

In regards to the tiling, we actually visit the tiling showroom just to have a browse. And yes if the certain tile you are wanting is out of stock it may delay your building, but have a few options that you are happy with in case other styles or in stock

Keep us posted!
We are building in Elderslie. Slab is due to pour tomorrow. Commencement letter was about 3 weeks ago.

We also visited the showroom and were shown the tiles we could select from but it's so hard to envisage without the colour pallet in front of us. We are going for blacks whites and greys though so hopefully won't be too hard!!

How has your experience been so far?
Finally things are moving on. Roof completed.

Then we just completed our tiles selection. Finally, the journey almost there.

I am happy with the standard range they are offering, only requesting some variation on mosaic that we are choosing.
Changing in site supervisor was not in our beneficial and positively after discussion with him during inspection, we are very close to PCI. Hoping to have the PCI in 2 months or so, crossing my finger. Looking positive from now.

Our Selection:
Powder Room, Ensuite and the other bathroom with similar combination.
-->Ceramic
Floor = 30x30, Wall 30x45 Dark Grey as feature wall with Mosaic in the Niche and white as side wall.

The alfresco, balcony and patio
--> Ceramic 30x30

Main Floor = Super White , Porcelain ->Upgrade
-> 60x60
Hi all, put a deposit on H&L with Firstyle. We asked for some upgrades to be included in the initial tender but they weren't. Looks like they want us to pay the 15k based on the 'standard inclusions' and then talk about upgrades and pricing later. This does not seem right to me at all. Is this anyone else's experience ?
Does anyone know the ducted air conditioner units Firstyle use? Brand / Model? Been offered an upgrade for $3500 to a 14.1kw unit (non inverter), also an option to upgrade to inverter but not sure on cost or brand / model. Thanks.
anthonya
Hi all, put a deposit on H&L with Firstyle. We asked for some upgrades to be included in the initial tender but they weren't. Looks like they want us to pay the 15k based on the 'standard inclusions' and then talk about upgrades and pricing later. This does not seem right to me at all. Is this anyone else's experience ?

Hi Anthonya,

This is what we had to do also. It's called a "Post Initial Tender Variation". Once tender was returned and deposit paid, we advised of all upgrades we wanted quoted. Then were provided with a PITV to sign and return. It's a a bit poor when making the decision to build with someone may come down to costs of extras but you have to take the leap of faith I guess. All our extras seemed reasonable.

Maddie
Can anyone share their experience with Firstyle in regards to payments and invoices.

We have been invoiced for Stage 1 which is the completion of the slab? However we have driven past our land and the slab is clearly not there.

Do Firstyle normally send you an invoice before the stage is complete?? We have contacted the construction management team and they have told us they only invoice you when the stage is "substantiallly" complete.

The finanace team from Firstyle has now emailed us saying our payment is now outstanding??? Even though the concrete has clearly not been poured.

Are we expected to forward the invoice to our bank first? How long does the invoice normally take to process and for the next stage to commence?
Fluffyjonz
Can anyone share their experience with Firstyle in regards to payments and invoices.

We have been invoiced for Stage 1 which is the completion of the slab? However we have driven past our land and the slab is clearly not there.

Do Firstyle normally send you an invoice before the stage is complete?? We have contacted the construction management team and they have told us they only invoice you when the stage is "substantiallly" complete.

The finanace team from Firstyle has now emailed us saying our payment is now outstanding??? Even though the concrete has clearly not been poured.

Are we expected to forward the invoice to our bank first? How long does the invoice normally take to process and for the next stage to commence?

Hi Fluffy,

Worth to let the them know that the slab have not yet laid and why they invoice you.
It happened to us, early invoice and no slab laid on that day, but they found out that the slab was laid the day after.
All was good for us.
Hi Priscia2104,

Thanks for your reply! Yes we ended up contacting Firstyle to ask why we were being sent an invoice without a slab, especially since they were already sending us "oustanding" invoice reminders. It seems there was miscommunication between their finance department. Our slab was laid a week later. Not sure if anyone else has had this happened. Just make sure the stage is complete before forwarding the invoice!
Related
24/07/2023
Firstyle Tile Selection

General Discussion

Hi Kaiser85, We are building with Firstyle Homes. Our build has just started, slab pour is on Saturday (hopefully!). Their standard range is pretty good. We did our…

7/01/2024
What have been your experiences with building inspections?

Building A New House

You have mandatory building inspections and privately engaged building inspections. The difference between the two comes down to inspecting the building so it's safe and…

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum