Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis homes

Page 108 of 862
What a disaster..

So PD still claim there is hawthorns, Austral (rang them again this morning HQ this time) have stated, unless your at slab stage now, then there will NOT be hawthorns available for you. They only have enough to cover current inflight builds.

The replacement is the HAWKSBURN they have a few in the sales centre, but if you want to look at a bigger scale then you would have to go to the shipping yard in Cragieburn, there are no completed houses with these bricks.

Reason: The hawthorn plant has been shut down.
humble
What a disaster..

So PD still claim there is hawthorns, Austral (rang them again this morning HQ this time) have stated, unless your at slab stage now, then there will NOT be hawthorns available for you. They only have enough to cover current inflight builds.

The replacement is the HAWKSBURN they have a few in the sales centre, but if you want to look at a bigger scale then you would have to go to the shipping yard in Cragieburn, there are no completed houses with these bricks.

Sorry to about the bad news..... I’m sure you will find a comprises that you will be happy with.
tstr1a
humble
What a disaster..

Sorry to about the bad news..... I’m sure you will find a comprises that you will be happy with.

There is that word again.. compromise.. at $10k a sqm compromise shouldnt be a option.

Well here is the replacement:

Hawksburn

Hawthorn
Guys, things change, you make another selection, and you move on. If you want to keep ur sanity in this crazy game called building, it's the only way. Yes you want to build your house the way you want it but PD can only have so many selections for clients otherwise they will never get to build stage because people would be umming and ahhing on their choices and combinations for ever!
You are not going to get 100% what you want 100% all the time - that's life.

If a company stops making a certain line, it is out of PD's control - it's bad timing. The discontinuation may have just been announced at Austral and was yet to be relayed to PD - it's bad timing. You are going into tender/contract and have to make another selection - unfortunately it's bad timing. Sorry to sound harsh but sometimes things change and you have to just deal with it and move on. We faced a similar dilemma, the brick we really liked was in another range but we could only pick from a certain few. In the greater scheme of things, tweaking our colour selection was easier than fighting to change rules that we knew we couldn't and it was less stress for us. And you know after it is done, you don't even think about it!

We're all going through the build process, all have had to encounter making an alternate choice due to unavailability i'm sure at some stage, all are spending big $$$ on our dream homes, all have jobs that take up some of our time, all have an idea on what we want our houses to look like and most of all CHOSE to build our homes with PD.

Owner build if you want flexibility of options for fixtures/fittings/materials, or learn to accept that with volume builders you will have to choose from what you are given or that there may be changes (it's in the disclaimers).

You make of the situation what you will...
MelNRob
Guys, things change, you make another selection, and you move on. If you want to keep ur sanity in this crazy game called building, it's the only way. Yes you want to build your house the way you want it but PD can only have so many selections for clients otherwise they will never get to build stage because people would be umming and ahhing on their choices and combinations for ever!

If a company stops making a certain line, it is out of PD's control - it's bad timing. The discontinuation may have just been announced at Austral and was yet to be relayed to PD - it's bad timing. You are going into tender/contract and have to make another selection - unfortunately it's bad timing. Sorry to sound harsh but sometimes things change and you have to just deal with it and move on. We faced a similar dilemma, the brick we really liked was in another range but we could only pick from a certain few. In the greater scheme of things, tweaking our colour selection was easier than fighting to change rules that we knew we couldn't and it was less stress for us. And you know after it is done, you don't even think about it!

We're all going through the build process, all have had to encounter making an alternate choice due to unavailability i'm sure at some stage, all are spending big $$$ on our dream homes, all have jobs that take up some of our time, all have an idea on what we want our houses to look like and most of all CHOSE to build our homes with PD.

Owner build if you want flexibility of options for fixtures/fittings/materials, or learn to accept that with volume builders you will have to choose from what you are given or that there may be changes (it's in the disclaimers).

MelNRob

Yeah, what she said!
Seriously, at least they are very close in colour to the Hawthorn brick.
MelNRob

Yep
mimi23

Hey Mimi,

Agree, very close.

Hey how's things progressing for you? are you starting this month or next month? Which house did you change to?

M
I'm sorry, but I can't really see a difference between the two bricks.. they are both lovely.
Humble, I understand and agree what MelnRob are saying but it doesn't hurt to still try maybe the only chance you may have is to contact Austral and see what stock they have left that can be allocated to you (ph 13 27 42). We are still trying to get our bricks, no word back yet and we have also mentioned the Boral range we like two of their bricks. We may get nowhere in the end but at least we know we tried. You may have to do the ringing around. Like the person said in a previous post. They had a similar issue with Boral bricks and they dealt with Boral by-passing their builder and Boral had got their bricks.
Well, as evidence suggests, according to austral (person shall remain nameless) that the discontinuation was announced 2 weeks ago to suppliers.

It happens, its not PD's fault, however.. there is a fundamental flaw in all of that. We were tendered yesterday with that selection! It highlights a significant communications issue. I think my CSC is great she has been awesome and very helpful, but her email today stated that (to her knowledge) they are available.

When they are clearly not.

Sorry, but I have a problem with this. The decision to build was not taken lightly, as such, we expect (and I am not out of line here) to believe that the experience should be one of clear and concise communication but more importantly that of disclosure. As I said its not PD's fault, Austral have discontinued a line. Thats ok, what annoys me is that even at 9.15am this morning PD are stating they are available when its very very very clear (including Austral's website) that they are not. I dont want the rule changed I just want a answer..

I do not buy a car expecting a black colour too be told that black cannot be done, how does charcol grey suit? That is the fundamental problem. If we are paying $$$ then I expect that if I am picking from a limited range (that the volume builder provides) that the limited range continues to be available. Remember, Austral and PD's relationship would run into the $millions, as would Austral with every other builder, Austral knew the discontinuation 2 weeks ago, either there is a comms problem there or elsewhere. That is the issue.

They are similar, but not the same, the person I spoke with at Austral said they are in fact quite a bit lighter then the hawthorns, but have a similar character.

The issue is comms, and compromise.. compromise being the biggest..
Agree, Hawthorn and Hawksburns look very similar.
eli-kay123
Humble, I understand and agree what MelnRob are saying but it doesn't hurt to still try maybe the only chance you may have is to contact Austral and see what stock they have left that can be allocated to you (ph 13 27 42). We are still trying to get our bricks, no word back yet and we have also mentioned the Boral range we like two of their bricks. We may get nowhere in the end but at least we know we tried. You may have to do the ringing around. Like the person said in a previous post. They had a similar issue with Boral bricks and they dealt with Boral by-passing their builder and Boral had got their bricks.

Eli, unless your bricks are being delivered this week, you have zero chance of getting hawthorns, they have only enough to fulfill current inflight orders.
MelNRob
mimi23

Hey Mimi,

Agree, very close.

Hey how's things progressing for you? are you starting this month or next month? Which house did you change to?

M

Hey Mel,

Don't know whats going on with PD actually, we can't even get anyone to return our calls or emails!! Had a walk through the house we like and listed all our upgrades for a quote (3 pages!) got the quote with practically nothing on it and some items we didn't want!

It's so hard to get good help these days!!!

Will let you know all the details as soon as we know.

Have been following your build, everything seems to be moving along for you and done to a fantastic standard (all but a certain roof tile that we couldn't possibly know about!
)

mimi
Every company has communication issues. I would agree with your point if the bricks have been discontinued for 6 months and PD was to slow to update their records. In this case 1-2 weeks, PD wouldn’t even have the opportunity to update their selections materials.

I would be asking PD is you are able to select the Hawksburn as this may not be an option yet. This is your biggest dilemma.
humble

And as MelNRob said, compromise is part of building with a volume builder. Did you actually take on board anything that was said in their post?? ( a great post by the way MelnRob
)
Take it or leave it humble. If you don't want compromise, owner build or go with a custom builder.... and spend another $150k for the privilage of not having to compromise.
Many of us have tried to explain to you that there are certain processing in place that keep prices down and those processes invariably lead to compromises.
Seriously, as I said in an earlier post, there is no need to make this entire process harder than it needs to be. You say you have limited time... why waste so much of it on things that that you can't change??

My brain hurts.
humble
Well, as evidence suggests, according to austral (person shall remain nameless) that the discontinuation was announced 2 weeks ago to suppliers.

It happens, its not PD's fault, however.. there is a fundamental flaw in all of that. We were tendered yesterday with that selection! It highlights a significant communications issue. I think my CSC is great she has been awesome and very helpful, but her email today stated that (to her knowledge) they are available.

When they are clearly not.

Sorry, but I have a problem with this. The decision to build was not taken lightly, as such, we expect (and I am not out of line here) to believe that the experience should be one of clear and concise communication but more importantly that of disclosure. As I said its not PD's fault, Austral have discontinued a line. Thats ok, what annoys me is that even at 9.15am this morning PD are stating they are available when its very very very clear (including Austral's website) that they are not. I dont want the rule changed I just want a answer..

I do not buy a car expecting a black colour too be told that black cannot be done, how does charcol grey suit? That is the fundamental problem. If we are paying $$$ then I expect that if I am picking from a limited range (that the volume builder provides) that the limited range continues to be available. Remember, Austral and PD's relationship would run into the $millions, as would Austral with every other builder, Austral knew the discontinuation 2 weeks ago, either there is a comms problem there or elsewhere. That is the issue.

They are similar, but not the same, the person I spoke with at Austral said they are in fact quite a bit lighter then the hawthorns, but have a similar character.

Humble, my partner just read your post. He agrees 100% in what you are saying. It's always compromise, compromise..... We are the customers who are spending the big $$$ and if it's there on display as available then they (PD and Austral) should come to the party and supply. I believe Austral would have known of their plans months before and I am sure the big Honcho's at PD new about it but didn't tell their staff (hence having no knowledge when you and I called them) to get as many as they can to sign the contract before it got out. When my PD contact called her manager the manager knew about it and confirmed it but failed to tell their staff. The only way it got out was thru this wonderful forum, PD were not going to tell us.

We had to compromise on facades at tender 2 weeks ago and luckily with a push and a shove and telling them we will walk they gave us a the discontinued facade we wanted. We didn't give up! But I guess it's a different situation to the bricks.

I've notice that Jess of PD has gone quiet on this forum regarding this matter.
This thread has been getting a bashing lately.....

Poor PD! It’s hard for them to make everyone happy.... actually it’s impossible.

Is there anyone out there with some positive rants!

I’ll start.... I am extremely happy with your experience so far. I have the best CSC who response to my questions instantly. Construction hopefully will start sometime next months and I can’t wait.
Do you really believe there is a conspiracy going on at PD to get you to sign before news breaks that Austral have discontinued some of their lines??
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum