Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

The parties have reached a mutual understanding in resolutio

Page 11 of 12
StructuralBIMGuy
SejaeD
A bit hard to pull the roof and frame down now! Yellow tongue has to go over the current AAC panels and be screwed down with 140mm bugles

Why would you put Yellow tongue flooring over the cracking AAC Panels... you are just masking over another problem?

The parties have reached a mutual understanding in resolution of each of the other parties concerns
SejaeD
StructuralBIMGuy
SejaeD
A bit hard to pull the roof and frame down now! Yellow tongue has to go over the current AAC panels and be screwed down with 140mm bugles

Why would you put Yellow tongue flooring over the cracking AAC Panels... you are just masking over another problem?

So do you have any suggestions that dont involve demolishing $500k worth of building?

The parties have reached a mutual understanding in resolution of each of the other parties concerns
And if you didn't already have all this experience in building to bring to bear on your build to find and sort out problems, where would you be now? It's really frightening. How many houses has your first builder already built?
Thanks for the photos, But they appear to be tensile cracks?
But i can't tell exactly from the photos because I can't see the supporting walls below
BTW Deflection can be up (Hogging) or down (Sagging)
SejaeD
So do you have any suggestions that dont involve demolishing $500k worth of building?

I am not convinced your house has to be demolished, its a serviceability issue (Cracking)
Some floor joists may well need to be stiffened
You will need to start with the framers structural calculations
and you'll will probably need to beef up the joists
SejaeD,when and if you have a minute,it would he very helpful to Many if you show if any the difference between how your first builder was selected and your second builder as you now seem to have a good builder,plenty have gone through similar and selected much better with their second builder,hoping it helps poor quality builders not get work.

Hey if you have 3 minutes to spare watch this
Warning ... offensive language
Engineers laugh on site every day watching real life concretors
StructuralBIMGuy
Thanks for the photos, But they appear to be tensile cracks?
But i can't tell exactly from the photos because I can't see the supporting walls below
BTW Deflection can be up (Hogging) or down (Sagging)

I really appreciate your input

Can you please explain what you mean by tensile cracks?
SejaeD
Joker
SejaeD,when and if you have a minute,it would he very helpful to Many if you show if any the difference between how your first builder was selected and your second builder as you now seem to have a good builder,plenty have gone through similar and selected much better with their second builder,hoping it helps poor quality builders not get work.

Thanks for your message.

Below is my list of items I would check or do when selecting a builder in future, including mistakes that I personally made:

1. Only choose a builder who has clean job sites. I really believe that builders who are well organised and clean demonstrate that they; care about presentation, are supervising your job properly and are using subcontractors who also have pride in their work

2. Google research reviews, and dont dismiss negative feedback you find online by thinking "this will never happen to me as I will manage them better" in hindsight I had come across a lot of warning signs that I chose to ignore because i was in attached to the builder's design

3. Do not pick a builder based on their design. Often we walk into a display village and fall in love with a design and then choose that builder. Pick a builder based on their quality and reputation and then get them to modify a design for you.

4. Pay close attention to the quality of the finishes in the display homes, especially how they finish flooring around the kitchen benches ( ie how neat the tile cuts are) and other joins in architraves etc, have a look at how neat the skirtings finish on the floor and look closely for painting and timber defects. If they cant do a good job on their display home why would they bother on your house? in my case the first builder had terrible quality, but assured me that they would use different trades. I fell for this lie and ended up with the same terrible trades ( I actually have this in writing)

5. In NSW you can check their license history and see if there has been any claims against them. So check how often they change their nominated supervisors ( you need one nominated supervisor to hold a building license and you can check this on the NSW fair trading website)

6. Ask who your supervisor is and what qualifications they hold, ie are they a chippy, bricklayer or as in some cases have no qualifications whatsoever. The problem is that a building company doing 100 or even 500 homes a year only needs one qualified builder on staff and often your house is being supervised by someone who is totally unqualified ( this happened to me, my supervisor was a joiner by trade who had made his living doing office fit outs not building houses). On this point, if you get the name of your supervisor you can look them up on NSW Fair trading website under "licence check"

7. Get a copy of their construction contract and if they use the HIA contract run for the hills ( my understanding which could be wrong is that this has been prepared by the association which represents builders). Only use the NSW fair trading contract which is fair on both parties and not heavily in favour of the builder.

I hope this list helps a few people. I could add more but then it would be too long.

If anyone ever needs advice PM me, happy to answer any questions
Take note every body especially early posters whom run to this forum way too late.

SejaeD

I hope to put up a practical example that covers self assessments for deflections, the methods and the tools I use in Identifying tensile and compression zones, cracking and acceptable code tolerances.
These are things that I would encourage everyone to do when you visit your build, Take photos ,collect measurements and data onsite, compare them with codes, tolerances, Bim 3D Model, Store & File them for future reference, etc
OT, You don't need to be an expert engineer..just have a basic understanding as to when an expert is required and importantly how to get the information to the experts when it matters....Stay tuned Bosch has some amazing new tools and apps that will turn you into an expert during your build.
Please leave a PM if you have specific needs
StructuralBIMGuy
SejaeD

I hope to put up a practical example that covers self assessments for deflections, the methods and the tools I use in Identifying tensile and compression zones, cracking and acceptable code tolerances.
These are things that I would encourage everyone to do when you visit your build, Take photos ,collect measurements and data onsite, compare them with codes, tolerances, Bim 3D Model, Store & File them for future reference, etc
OT, You don't need to be an expert engineer..just have a basic understanding as to when an expert is required and importantly how to get the information to the experts when it matters....Stay tuned Bosch has some amazing new tools and apps that will turn you into an expert during your build.
Please leave a PM if you have specific needs

Hi everyone.

My builder finally dropped the scaffold this week, always a major milestone so I thought i would share a few pictures.

fro
I'm so happy to see it go from the disaster that it was, to a very beautiful looking house.

You must feel a bit relieved to finally see light at the end of the tunnel, and that the house you set out to build all that time ago is now so close to being yours
SejaeD
The photos look great
Now would be a good time to Bim/Data/Bosch Survey
co-ordinate (3D) points around your build...hth
KingTaco
I'm so happy to see it go from the disaster that it was, to a very beautiful looking house.

You must feel a bit relieved to finally see light at the end of the tunnel, and that the house you set out to build all that time ago is now so close to being yours

Thanks for your kind message.

Can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

The other exciting thing is that my builder has a massive gyprocking crew who have sheeted the whole house in two days! Will post some photos shortly

StructuralBIMGuy
@SejaeD
The photos look great
Now would be a good time to Bim/Data/Bosch Survey
co-ordinate (3D) points around your build...hth

what would I use that for?
To monitor deflection, movement, heave and settlement defects, etc should they present after handover. hth
StructuralBIMGuy
To monitor deflection, movement, heave and settlement defects, etc should they present after handover. hth

That's actually a really good idea! I have a guy we use for work who can do that. thanks again for the tip

Related
17/11/2023
Help understanding Boundary Survey and Nail Location

Building A New House

ask the surveyor for clarification would be the logical approach

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

14/03/2024
Contract Works Insurance - Why your builder should have it

Building A New House

Hi All, I just wanted to close this topic out with an update. So we ended up agreeing to a number with the insurance company, and after an extensive amount of hand…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum