Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building a Doulton in Geelong

Page 2 of 10
Everything was almost finalised. And 8:45am yesterday they rang me and said they can't do hebel on the mode, apparently they are doing a mode elsewhere in Geelong, and the owner also wanted hebel, and they are having big problems, and can't do it in hebel, so they are taking it off ours too!

We changed from EPS due to recent bad publicity of building fires! So I spent the day researching other options, and emails back and forward with the design guy.

I eventually found out that what they use is Dulux Exsolite, which has bushfire resistance to BAL29, and the other mode is in Ballarat but still under construction (I wanted to go and look). They had hebel on the back, and convinced the owner that it was OK for the Dulux EPS on the mode front section.

I don't want to spoil my wife's weekend with this bad news, but we need to decide if we are still going ahead!
Thats pretty strange! They asked us even last week if we want to go back to hebel as we want all rendered look. Do you know the reason as to what went wrong with hebel?
They didn't give me the exact reason, other than this in an email. I researched numerous products, and found similar house design facades with hebel, James said I would have to ask the other builder about that!

The mode does have numerous vertical and horizontal planes, so I guess there would be a lot of weight with 75mm concrete panels on the wooden frame that was designed for lightweight EPS!

James' reply:
With the other job we had on site, we switched back from Hebel to EPS. The framing and engineering wasn’t designed to suit Hebel’s weight/thickness/fixing requirements. Once the customer saw what the Exsulite looked like (ie exactly the same as rendered Hebel) they were happy to go back to the EPS, and that job is now steaming along onsite.
We decided to go with Hebel at the back and sides, and Exsolite at the front facade (both will be rendered anyway).

Now we are discussing a bench for the laundry, as it is small, but we need somewhere to put the clothes baskets and dryer! They have offered two possible solutions, looking at those. Working dayshift this week (which means getting up at 3am
).

Kelly suggested option 1 was the better one (it would mean the bench was continued from the trough around the wall).

There is not enough space for a linen cupboard like yours, but I came up with an option for the broom cupboard, split it in half, and one half is shelving (for laundry powder, etc) and the other half for brooms, mops, etc.

We might have to put back the overhead cupboards to make it more complete!
I got them to draw up what we are getting, the washing machine is a large top loader, so they suggested to put it in the corner, and the cupboards will be part of the bench extension over the dryer. Wife approved!
Then she asked if we can put back the bulkhead also ($114 extra), as it would suit better now there were more cupboards. and it keeps the dust off the top! But that's the final change! lol

It definitely looks good now, have you signed off on studio estimate? We might do that next week.
Kelly said no more changes now, we haven't got the signing copy yet, probably tomorrow, then they can start doing the drawings!

But when I was double checking the colours, I found that we forgot to put a power point in for the bar fridge provision in the Leisure Room!
Bugger, first variation, as that was already signed off?
Studio details signed off, Kelly said they don't need the estimate at this stage? James has started working on our plans, they emailed us today to confirm the balcony details are OK! Contract signing is still marked for July 15th!
Sparkyf
Interesting options, I see they copied the same pendant and balustrade as the display house!

The D56 standard upstairs is shorter than the downstairs. This allows options such as the one here, by swapping bedrooms and leisure, and adding a balcony, you get a few larger bedrooms, and a "public" balcony (not via the master bedroom).

Standard Doulton 56.

Rear leisure and balcony option.

The curved staircase is standard on the D56, and optional on the 46 and 50. There is a narrow path between the balustrade and Bed3 so it doesn't appear as spacious as when the leisure room is there, but that's only the path to the master bedroom.

This is not our plan, as ours is the D50, but still being finalised.

Hi Sparkyf,
You mentioned that curved staircase is optional on D50. How much do we have to pay for the curved staricase, do you know? I am going to build a D50 in Shepparton.
C
The curved staircase is standard (it's on the standard plan) but the finish components are extra. Standard is carpet, but you can have wooden, stained, and a choice of fancy balustrades or the standard straight bars. We got quoted for Vic Ash stain and painting, it looks like the display house one you can see on the Metricon site, cost about $7,000. Most of the house will be black and white!
The extra cost was also partially due to the higher ceilings (2.7M to ground):

STAIRCASE
15.Provide Curved staircase with 2700 ceiling height in lieu of standard including:
* KDHW (Vic Ash) round projection treads with clear or stain finish, starting with a bullnose step.
* MDF risers with painted finish.
* MDF closed wall stringer with painted finish.
* MDF cut outer stringer with painted finish.
* KDHW (Vic Ash) HR01 (shaped) handrail starting with a SCR01 scroll with clear or stain finish.
* KDHW (Vic Ash) NP07 (square) posts with NT04 top, with clear or stain finish.
* 14mm diameter wrought iron (S01) balustrade
Sparkyf
The curved staircase is standard (it's on the standard plan) but the finish components are extra. Standard is carpet, but you can have wooden, stained, and a choice of fancy balustrades or the standard straight bars. We got quoted for Vic Ash stain and painting, it looks like the display house one you can see on the Metricon site, cost about $7,000. Most of the house will be black and white!

Thank you so much for your reply. There’s so much homework to do before Studio M appointment.
Here are the options:

Great choice!
It's all a bit confusing, as the included standard in the specs for the Doulton says carpet and "not applicable to Doulton 56" (referring to the 56 having the timber staircase as "standard"?

So I assume that "standard" in the above pics is the normal stairs, and if you go for wooden ones (with the more expensive, better quality timber that is not covered over by carpet)? And stained or painted is more work also!
GVCCS
Sparkyf

Thank you so much for your reply. There’s so much homework to do before Studio M appointment.

Before, during and after! We had 13 resent quotes, as we changed, added or deleted items for a few weeks after!

And the more things you read about in the forums, the more things you think about changing or removing due to other people's issues and problems!

There are some private groups on Facebook for "Metricon New Home Builders Discussion Group" and "Metricon New Build Discussion Group", where people can exchange ideas, post their photos and discuss problems and solutions, and get opinions from others that have built same or similar houses!
Sparkyf
We are having battens put in for the dining and kitchen, and adding additional pendants after handover.
And a junction box at the ceiling above the stairs for a chandelier installation later also.

We were almost going to go ahead with the same as the Doulton display, but we wanted something more contemporary and unique! We found some great ones on eBay, just waiting for a reply from seller with the weight, to advise M so that the appropriate support structure will be there.

It's always a problem when you want your own lights, not the standard ones!

we are also looking for build a house a bit more contemporary, interesting to see those pendant lights ideas
We decided on a smaller one, that only (only? We still have to get it up there!) weighs 20Kg (the 4M one is 75Kg!). It's a spiral shape, like the stairs, should match well!
We are also planning some rectangular ones for above the dining and kitchen island bench, we had M put in batten holders or junction boxes so we can do these after handover.
Sparkyf
They didn't give me the exact reason, other than this in an email. I researched numerous products, and found similar house design facades with hebel, James said I would have to ask the other builder about that!

The mode does have numerous vertical and horizontal planes, so I guess there would be a lot of weight with 75mm concrete panels on the wooden frame that was designed for lightweight EPS!

James' reply:
With the other job we had on site, we switched back from Hebel to EPS. The framing and engineering wasn’t designed to suit Hebel’s weight/thickness/fixing requirements. Once the customer saw what the Exsulite looked like (ie exactly the same as rendered Hebel) they were happy to go back to the EPS, and that job is now steaming along onsite.

Thank you for sharing your journey with Metricon.

Interesting on they can't do Hebel in the front, even ask for placing more steels to increase the weight holding is not possible?
They have a client building one in Ballarat, and they wanted hebel all around also, but they were having a lot of problems with the hebel on the front (probably due to the complex shape of the projections), so they ended up doing EPS at the front and hebel around the (straight and easier) back and sides. It's all rendered anyway, so will look the same, you just cant bolt anything to EPS (i.e. Christmas lights we were planning)!

You can get an idea from this image I compiled with front view, and ground and first floor overheads (corresponding front sections highlighted):

[img:*****]https://forum.homeone.com.au/u/94542_1595875059.jpg[/img:*****]
Related
13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

15/06/2023
Missing Building Wrap / Insulation

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hey guys building a new place through a volume builder and just wondering if i should complain to the site supervisor as we just had plasterboard installed. Looks like…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum