Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Feedback on the plans

Page 2 of 2
Adding to the previous comment, try to keep your bedrooms/ study to a minimum of 3m width. Otherwise they will feel cramped.

I can change the plans, although I’ve paid the tender fee, the builder is reasonably flexible with me changing the layout, as long as I don’t touch the stairs.

My block is just under 700sqm, 15.5x42 ish.

Our main requirements were a guest bed downstairs and a games/playroom reasonably close to the kitchen/leaving so we can keep a close eye on the young kids.
While I can see the sense in making those other areas larger, "taking space away from the garage" is a mistake too many people make. In the context of the size of the garage above, if that was to scale those two cars are something like the size of a Hyundai Accent or similar. If you make the garage too small, you're doomed to parking the family car outside.
Boro, can i ask why you have chosen a design that is only 10m wide if your block is 15m wide?
Having such a narrow house compromises room sizes (particularly the study, guest bedroom, living area) as they are so narrow, a 3m wide living area really is small, whereas the dining is very large.
Does your builder have a design that is a little wider? That way you dont have wasted space at the sides of the house either, all that space will be in your backyard rather than down the sides.
Has the builder sited it for you on the block of the land?
gogo65
Boro, can i ask why you have chosen a design that is only 10m wide if your block is 15m wide?
Having such a narrow house compromises room sizes (particularly the study, guest bedroom, living area) as they are so narrow, a 3m wide living area really is small, whereas the dining is very large.
Does your builder have a design that is a little wider? That way you dont have wasted space at the sides of the house either, all that space will be in your backyard rather than down the sides.
Has the builder sited it for you on the block of the land?

the main reason we went with this size was the 36sq house plus our additions making it a 38sq. I guess it came down to budget, a larger house would end up $50K more ... and it becomes way over our budget. They have layed the house on our block (which is perfectly rectangular 15.5 X 42) and yes, we have 2.5M on one side and almost 2 on the other side, apart from the garage section which is a bit wider.

To be honest, we are not 100% sold on this layout, hence seeking the forum's feedback.

I'll post two alternative plans (one with the same builder) and another one with a different builder (who we are tendering with too), interested to know the feedback on these two.
I don’t think you necessarily need to go bigger size wise, just wider and not as deep.
If your happy for opinions, put the other two plans up, I’d love to see them.
What about these two options?

The top on is the same house as my original post, just the kitchen swapped and droping the theatre and moving the study behind the garage.

I still need to fine tune the windows and make the guest a bit bigger by making the battler and laundry a bit smaller.

The second plan is the standard metricon liberty plan, i don't mind the plan overall but my wife feels the space between the kitchen island and the dining/alfresco corner is a bit tight.

Both houses at about 38sq which is what we are aiming for.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback.

Boro

The top on is the same house as my original post, just the kitchen swapped and droping the theatre and moving the study behind the garage.

I still need to fine tune the windows and make the guest a bit bigger by making the battler and laundry a bit smaller.

The second plan is the standard metricon liberty plan, i don't mind the plan overall but my wife feels the space between the kitchen island and the dining/alfresco corner is a bit tight.

They are all lovely homes. It really just depends on what suits your family.
Boro

If you want to consider the Liberty 38 as an option, think about:
TiredHalo
Boro

If you want to consider the Liberty 38 as an option, think about:

• You need, ideally, a 1m clearance on every side of a dining table. If you have that, than the dining space will be fine. You could also consider not have the L-shape island.
  • There is no shower downstairs for the guest bedroom like you have with the other plan
  • The garage is narrower at 5.5 than what you are planning to extend it to on the other.
  • Bedrooms are roughly on par, but the downstairs and bed 2 are larger on the Liberty
  • How much space on either side of the house do you need for any covenant etc, and how much are you comfortable with? Do you want more space away from the neighbours, etc, as the Liberty is slightly wider, especially if you extend the garage width to be 6 instead of 5.5.

Thank you.

On our modified plan (which I haven’t loaded as it has too much writing on it) we’ve actually extended the garage and put in a shower to the guest bed plus with their provincial facade you get the master bed extending over the garage to offer a small office and larger walk in.

The removal of L shape is a good idea, my wife doesn’t like it either.

I wonder if there will be enough light in the living/kitchen/dining with the south being at the back?
Related
19/07/2023
Feedback requested from anyone that's used Pentablock

Landscape & Garden Design

As title suggests, looking at using the interlocking Pentablock stacked stone products to replace failing timber retaining…

21/09/2023
KDR - Looking for feedback on Kialla Homes

Building A New House

Hi, I am looking into doing a KDR in Melbourne and am contemplating using Kialla Homes. I am looking for feedback on them from others who have built with them.

7/10/2023
Floor plan feedback

Building A New House

Hi there! Absolutely agree on the wasted space. We have no desire for the master to be that oversized, but it occurred when we increased the depth of the garage. We have…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum