Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

KDR - New Choice Homes Custom design - Perth, WA

Page 2 of 11
Yay! The 34c brickwork looks pretty impressive!

After we saw the high ceilings in a few display homes it was on our ‘non-negotiables’ list.

The other option we liked was the raked ceiling in the living room, but we were told this would be more expensive than the 34 course ceiling in the entry, kitchen, living room and alfresco.

I find it interesting that they did one section of internal wall today to full height and then also a substantial part of the exterior face brick as well.
6 March - Brickwork day 2

7 March - Brickwork Day 3

8 March - Brickwork Day 4

It's actually hard to believe how much they've done in 4 days. The quality of the work itself looks good, just a bit fussy when it comes to the distribution of the different coloured bricks (one area in particular there's quite a stripe in the pattern!).

That stripe would bug me. Fortunately it's at the back so maybe you'll not notice it.
It's almost like the bricky's have done it on purpose. What would be the chances of randomly grabbing bricks out of a pack like that twice.
You're right, it's at the back so I'm not really worried. I just hope they're a little more selective elsewhere, especially the pillars at the front and on our internal feature wall.

I might have a chat with them next week to see if there's anything they can do. I know that the packs of bricks themselves don't have the colours distributed well, but surely they can put a little thought into when required.....
thme
You're right, it's at the back so I'm not really worried. I just hope they're a little more selective elsewhere, especially the pillars at the front and on our internal feature wall.

I might have a chat with them next week to see if there's anything they can do. I know that the packs of bricks themselves don't have the colours distributed well, but surely they can put a little thought into when required.....

Here's our old house. We had recycled bricks so a similar look to yours. Our bricky's were careful to mix up the painted bricks.

We thought about doing the recycled bricks on our interior feature wall, but we were afraid of the cost and also the finished product. Being a recycled brick, you never really know what you're going to get and also how they're going to be laid. I see really good jobs like yours above and then I see really average one, so we thought we'd stick with what we've got and go from there. We changed the internal wall to a raked joint, for something a little bit different and we figured if it didn't fit in with the style we were going for we could either plaster it, paint it or bag it in the future.
March 9 - Brickwork day 5

Well the guys surprised us and did a half day today (Saturday), even though there was a bit of rain around.

That's kind of them to work in the rain! Hope the rain wasn't heavy enough to affect the brickwork.

It was more of the odd light shower this morning in our area. Just enough to be annoying!
March 11 - Brickwork day 6

Getting close to finishing up the face brickwork

March 12 - Brickwork day 7

March 13 - Brickwork Day 8

Poorly patterned bricks fixed today....

Good on them for fixing the bricks!

amilelka
Good on them for fixing the bricks!

Yes, happy that they've gone to the effort to mix them them up a bit better.

Had our site meeting today and because of the stuff up with the internal face brick wall, they're going to keep the face brick in the garage and do it double leaf, rather than knock the wall down and do it again. We'll just lose a small amount of our internal hallway, about 60mm.
March 15th - Brickwork Day 10

The guys haven't got much left to do now. Had our site meeting yesterday morning and the roof timbers are booked to be delivered next Wednesday and the roof frame to start shortly after.

March 16 - Brickwork Day 11

Well the guys did a full day today (Saturday). There's only a few internal walls left to go and they're waiting for a crane to install the T-Bar lintels over the garage and portico.

Hi Thme,

The brickwork over the internal door frames should be 1 course bricks for at least 3 courses above the door frame, the builder will say they dont have to be, but if you ring and ask the building commission they will tell you I am correct. The last builder i worked for had a building commission audit onsite and they were pinged for it.

Related
21/09/2023
KDR - Looking for feedback on Kialla Homes

Building A New House

Hi, I am looking into doing a KDR in Melbourne and am contemplating using Kialla Homes. I am looking for feedback on them from others who have built with them.

1/01/2024
Custom Home Design - Suggestions and Recommendation

Building A New House

ideal house depends on the site and location as much as internal floor plan....what is the distance from the house to all four boundaries, where is north, describe your…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum