Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Ausbuild - Newbury 39 - Altitude Thornlands

Page 2 of 4
pbwhi0
Also remember data points. The NBN connection terminates in the garage but I didn't want the router in there so ran it to under the stairs. Here I will house the router and switch. From under the stairs I ran cat6 cable to all four TV's (for streaming) plus a connection to the study and all bedrooms. I have also added two ceiling mount wireless access points (one upstairs and one downstairs) so that wireless covers the whole house. The TV's will draw a lot of bandwidth when streaming so wanted these all cabled otherwise there would be a bottleneck on the wireless network. Effectively wireless will be just for mobile devices such as phones and iPads etc.

We added install only for fans ($94 each) to each bedroom and have bought our own fans for the sparkies to install. They need to put nogging in the ceiling and run cables so it is easier to do this as part of the build.

External power points in the alfresco and around the side of house. This later one was added for exterior 12 volt garden lights.

We have added a switch in the meals area and junction box on the outside wall. This will be used to run an underground cable out to the pavilion (gazebo) in the pool area. It will mean that we can add lights to the pavilion lights on from inside the house.

I also had speaker wire (5 pairs) placed in the ceiling (up and down) which I will install ceiling speakers after handover that will run back to under the stairs. Here I will have a 6 zone amplifier and a media streaming device that connects to the network and you can stream music from mobile to the ceiling speakers. Each zone will have a wall plate that controls the input, volume , bass and treble. All zones can play the same music or each zone can play a different input (amp allows up to 6 inputs).

I still expect I have missed something.

Oh wow! That is wonderfully detailed and will be so useful at elecrtical, I'd only thought of Nbn upstairs and down, but your plan blows all that out of the water. So many good ideas especially for the multiple tv streaming and in out case Gamers!

Only thing I had even remotely close was extra powerpoints etc outside for xmas lights. That junction box for pool area later is going to save us a lot of headaches down the line! Thank you!!
Valendra just check the pendant light regarding the powder room, I am not 100% sure but my friend who is building with Simonds was not allowed to put a pendant light in the powder room as it’s a wet area , so it’s something that she will have to do later .

Ok, I guess I will probably need to do a quote for security screens also then, but even 7k from Ausbuild is expensive and I have heard that crimsafe charges close to 3k just for a door 😩.
I have spent so much money , it’s unbelievable but all of these things keep popping up that I haven’t thought off, it’s never ending .

Omg Paul, I wish I spoke to you prior to my electrical appointment !!!! I just had to google “what is a cat6 cable” hahahah.
So let’s say I have issues connecting the Tv to the Wifi, how easy is it to connect the cable to the tv after the house is built ? Or is it even possible to run the cable to the tv in the walls ?
As for the speakers that is such a great idea, I have taken a picture of your reply and it’s definitely something I will use for the next build.

I should have done that too for the fans , too late now.

Also regarding your pool ? Who are you going through and could you tell me the final price including the fencing etc?
Hi Tajana

Hahah…yes I research stuff to death and kept revising electrical and data plan right up until the colour selection.

NBN
I see you have the NBN in the garage and one connection in the main bedroom. You do have options. One I could suggest is using the main bed connection and moving this to another area to connect with modem and a switch (a switch simply splits the connection after the modem to many outlets. I have a 16 port switch which means I can split the signal to a further 15 connections (one port is used to connect to modem). Sounds a lot but 3 x tvs, 2 x printers, 1 x NAS, 2 x ceiling routers, 2 media streamers and 4 bedrooms means 14 are already used). Possibly should have bought the 24 port switch!

If it was me I would move your bedroom connection to under the stairs using the void (ac duct) in WIR for bed 4 to get the connection down. From under the stairs connect a modem and switch. You can then run a connection to the media room (shares wall with under stairs), another one back to the main bed. Other connections will require an external wall to route cable down. Can be done but would need to speak to a sparkie who will know the best way to do this. It is easier to route during build and while each connection cost us $117, it was money well spent as it will be a selling point to have cat6 cable to most rooms.

Pool
Water and Mortar is the company we went with. Logan (0403 963 363) is the owner. He installed 3 pools at the Gumdale Ausbuild estate (got his details off a sign). But after we contacted him he realised he installed the pool at our previous house 12 years ago. It was the third pool he had done! He is fantastic to deal with and nothing is too much trouble. Highly recommend Logan and we wouldn’t go with anyone else.

We had the concrete shell installed prior to the house starting. We hit rock for most of the dig and required extra concrete. Logan did not charge extra for either! They will come back after hand over and will take about a week to finish the pool. The pool is 6m x 3.5m with a spa seat and led light. Good quality filter, pump and cleaner. All up with extra concrete surround and extra paving is $38,000. Glass pool fence (frameless) we are doing ourselves and will be 14 metres straight across yard. With upgraded gate and hinges the materials are $2,300. If we were to get professionals in to install you could add another $2,000 to the cost.

Here are a couple of photos of the install so far.

Thank you so much.
I have just paid my fixing bill which is the second last one so i am pretty sure its too late now to get them to make any changes, or is it? But i do know an electrician so i can ask him to do what you have instructed after the hand over.

Your house will look amazing when its done as everything is thought off, cant wait to see more photos.

Why did you decide to build at Kinross Estate instead of Altitude? I havent seen the Kinross Estate yet. I am a little worried as they have built townhouses across the road from me, so hopefully it doesnt ruin the estate as i am planning on selling in 2 years. Would you think it will have a big impact on the estate?
T, don't fuss in the slightest about this electronics stuff. It's all changing so quickly that what is superbly desirable today will be WTF? tomorrow.
So long as the telly and the computer works OK, you'll be fine.
Thanks kks, but fingers crossed the signal works ok
Tajana
Valendra just check the pendant light regarding the powder room, I am not 100% sure but my friend who is building with Simonds was not allowed to put a pendant light in the powder room as it’s a wet area , so it’s something that she will have to do later .

Ok, I guess I will probably need to do a quote for security screens also then, but even 7k from Ausbuild is expensive and I have heard that crimsafe charges close to 3k just for a door 😩.
I have spent so much money , it’s unbelievable but all of these things keep popping up that I haven’t thought off, it’s never ending .

Omg Paul, I wish I spoke to you prior to my electrical appointment !!!! I just had to google “what is a cat6 cable” hahahah.
So let’s say I have issues connecting the Tv to the Wifi, how easy is it to connect the cable to the tv after the house is built ? Or is it even possible to run the cable to the tv in the walls ?
As for the speakers that is such a great idea, I have taken a picture of your reply and it’s definitely something I will use for the next build.

I should have done that too for the fans , too late now.

Also regarding your pool ? Who are you going through and could you tell me the final price including the fencing etc?

Aaggh yes, that would be an issue with the pendants and wet areas, fingers crossed!

I'll let you know how we go with crimsafe, we heard from $850 a door so hoping that's more the ball park than $3000. It all really adds up doesn't it.

We're probably looking at Narellan pools, someone on a Facebook page did a fully finished 7×3.5 pool with fence, cleaner etc for $38000 and we haven't seen anyone cheaper yet, but we can only get a quote once plans fully finalized so we know exactly where to put it. We were keen to put it in first but we have a friend that regrets doing that as he got a better perspective after build and would have moved current pool for symmetry.
How's it all coming along though? Final fixing bill sounds like you're close to the end!
Yes please do. A friend of mine used a company called Clearshield , and she loves them as they are meant to be easier to clean .

Pools are so expensive .

I went to see the house today so will post some photos
Hi, I have a question to everyone who was or is building with Ausbuild - do you have stormwater gully traps with grates at or above ground level in your yard?
If so, how many and what do they look like when completed?
Hi Irish
I think I have 5.
Not sure how they will look but can let you know when it’s completed
Tajana
Hi Irish
I think I have 5.
Not sure how they will look but can let you know when it’s completed

Thanks, this is helpful.
Our plans have 10, which seems excessive...
Is it based on the area and how high the land is? Or is it just based on the house ?
Hahah I wouldn’t have a clue .
Tajana
Is it based on the area and how high the land is? Or is it just based on the house ?
Hahah I wouldn’t have a clue

No idea.
We were told it was decided after the soil test. However, Ausbuild is re-checking for us, whether we need all 10... Seems a lot.
Irish16
Tajana
Hahah I wouldn’t have a clue

No idea.
We were told it was decided after the soil test. However, Ausbuild is re-checking for us, whether we need all 10... Seems a lot.

We have a lot too not sure if it's ten though. We currently live in the estate across the rd and honestly our current yard could use more than it has, especially when it buckets down ,so I'm pretty happy with it!
Hi Tajana, we are building in Altitude Estate also! Goodluck with your build. Looking great!
sandracma
Hi Tajana, we are building in Altitude Estate also! Goodluck with your build. Looking great!

Hello Neighbour
Oh Sandra that is so good to hear. Which stage are you at atm? I am lot 19, and just finished painting , and lights should be done also, i think. Are you close to me? Have you had a good build so far?
Hahah 21 questions
Tajana
sandracma

Hello Neighbour
Oh Sandra that is so good to hear. Which stage are you at atm? I am lot 19, and just finished painting , and lights should be done also, i think. Are you close to me? Have you had a good build so far?
Hahah 21 questions

I am just up from you at Lot 25! Yeah the pre-work was stressful (electrical appointments etc), but so far so good. We are at installing wall and ceiling insulation stage. Building a Finlay 36 so lots to do. We are about at week 10 post slab stage.
sandracma
Tajana
sandracma

Hello Neighbour
Hahah 21 questions

I am just up from you at Lot 25! Yeah the pre-work was stressful (electrical appointments etc), but so far so good. We are at installing wall and ceiling insulation stage. Building a Finlay 36 so lots to do. We are about at week 10 post slab stage.

Thats great, after the walls are put up it gets exciting, prior to that it drags on a bit doesnt it. You will have to post some photos, cant wait to see your selections.
Have posted some piccies.

So nervous about my choices.... hard to imagine a small matchbox sample in a whole space! Fingers crossed
Related
You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum