Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Builder asked to upgrade class P to E class slab

Page 2 of 2
Mr. Sausage
In my build the original footings were to be a minimum 800 mm deep all round. The original report also mentioned that no footings should be located within 75% of the mature height of any nearby tree. Since there were three saplings recently planted by the developer on the nature strip, my block earned a P rating.

When I enquired with the council as to what type of trees they were and how high they were expected to grow, I realised that eventually a couple of parts of the dwelling would come within 75% of their mature height (which is around 12 metres).

The engineer then re-specified a number of piers - 7 in all - which now go down to 2.5 metres. These are the piers that are within that "75%" influence zone.

I actually found it interesting that my slab has a very large number of piers. The house I built 20 years ago just had one. This house has 22 of them - and it is a tiny house (only around 130 m2) sitting on M-D soil. That said, I actually asked them to upgrade the slab two "half classes" above what the soil report demanded, even though it obviously cost me more money. So I asked for the engineer to design an H1-D slab. I personally feel that the current Australian standards for residential construction are not necessarily ideal and instead are a compromise between mitigating the liklihood of problems occurring down the track versus what people are prepared to pay.

Perhaps some will say I am being overzealous but the cost difference wasn't that large and if it reduces the chance of doors sticking or other issues years down the track I think it is a small price to pay here and now. Anyway, if any builder said to me they wanted to upgrade the footings or slab, I would not hesitate to agree to this.

FULLY agree,is a small cost compared to problems you will face.
I too agree that this is money well spent...provided it is not a cash grab by the builder. Ive yet to argue that the cost of the upgraded slab should be treated the same way as a variation (cost +20%). The builder has simply said that its not a variation, therefore i must pay whatever they say, without any proof of cost to them.
I find it hard to believe this is allowable in Queensland, but I have been wrong before🙁
Related
15/08/2023
I often get asked if now is a good time to build

Building A New House

Well thats a relief! The whole family is sick of waiting.

15/12/2023
Getting home built - Is H1 class waffle pod slab ok?

Building A New House

The Soil classification has little to do with piers. The purpose of the classing of the soil is to identify the clay content and the "average expected range of movement…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum