Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our First Home Blog - DayDream 28 (modified)

Page 2 of 5
dougang287
OurDayDream28
Heading to the Coral House Showroom on Saturday. Any tips or major questions to ask the consultants there before our final colour appointment?

For those with a Day Dream 30 or 28, is the garage an actual double garage to fit 2 cars?
hope it does fit 2 cars

We did our upgrades before ordering contract so we knew exactly what $ we were up for - even though Marty wasn't keen but we pushed it

I hope 2 cars fit too.

Marty was abit slack on some stuff, how did you find him? We also did some upgrades or changes to the plan before contract also. What tile company did you go for, National Tiles or Beaumont Tiles?
OurDayDream28
I hope 2 cars fit too.

Marty was abit slack on some stuff, how did you find him? We also did some upgrades or changes to the plan before contract also. What tile company did you go for, National Tiles or Beaumont Tiles?
Beaumont we went with as we got told that Natuonal have a deal with Metricon so may not have all your tiles when it comes to build. We liked Beaumont selection better and the customer service was better.
Yeah we loved Marty initially and then ................

OurDayDream28
I hope 2 cars fit too.

we made the yarrabilba sales guy let us in the daydream garage to have a look

And then..............??? Do tell.

We also went through yarrabilba house a few times lol.
We are building a daydream 30. Our land should title this week.

We extended our garage 800mm longer. Hopefully that should be enough.

Can't wait to follow your build.

Our update so far:

Yesterday we went through the Coral Homes Showroom, we were lucky enough to have a friend who works for Coral who could guide us around the showroom as there is only 1 representative on the showroom floor on Saturdays.

We, as first home buyers we very surprised on all the little things you have to select for your home, e.g., guttering colour, skirting and window frame colour. Some of the things we totally forgot about and was hard to select anything as we are both visual people and can't picture it unless we have a photo to look at, which we were disappointed with the Showroom there were no books to look through to get an idea of what it may look like. We were glad though that we went before our final colour selection and had our friend there to guide us on different selections.

Question for people who have already done their colour selection:

Did you all upgrade your carpet? (the standard inclusions were terrible)

Did you upgrade your kitchen bench top? And how much is the upgrade? (we didn't like the standard colours)

If you are wanting a feature wall in your home is there an extra fee?

One thing that you were shocked with at your final colour selection?

I hope you all can help because from the start our sales guy hasn't been that helpful and as some of you already know Coral don't always answer their phone.
OurDayDream28
Our update so far:

Yesterday we went through the Coral Homes Showroom, we were lucky enough to have a friend who works for Coral who could guide us around the showroom as there is only 1 representative on the showroom floor on Saturdays.

We, as first home buyers we very surprised on all the little things you have to select for your home, e.g., guttering colour, skirting and window frame colour. Some of the things we totally forgot about and was hard to select anything as we are both visual people and can't picture it unless we have a photo to look at, which we were disappointed with the Showroom there were no books to look through to get an idea of what it may look like. We were glad though that we went before our final colour selection and had our friend there to guide us on different selections.

Did you upgrade your kitchen bench top? And how much is the upgrade? (we didn't like the standard colours)

I hope you all can help because from the start our sales guy hasn't been that helpful and as some of you already know Coral don't always answer their phone.
one thing that shocked us with Coral is the kitchen upgrades were totally overpriced hence why we didn't upgrade anything

We upgraded to the highest range in carpet and upgraded underlay too the standard looks awful in our opinion

Think a feature wall is $175 but we have a great painter onsite now who I am sure would have done a cashie on this so that could be an option

OurDayDream28
Our update so far:

Can't help with carpet, we deleted ours all together.

We were happy with the standard bench colours when we did colours. Only problem i had with the benches was i had to have the same colour in both bathrooms, where I wanted different colours. I think they have since taken away a few of the standard colours and made them an upgrade.

It would be cheaper to ask your painter to do a cashie for feature walls, most will do it.

With the colour appointment, they don't have the cost of things. They are more than happy to upgrade things, but they don't have pricing. You still have to wait for head office to send out a variation. They also don't offer alot in regards to upgrades, so make sure you know what you want to change/upgrade before you go in.
We didn't know you could upgrade the ducted aircon panel, that is something i wish i knew.
We upgraded the air con so we can use the app and it was $800

OurDayDream28
Our update so far:

We upgraded our carpet to silver range and it was $10sqm. We stuck with a standard colour bench top, but I understand they have changed the ranges around now.
I was shocked at how fast everything added up at the colour appointment. We were expecting around $5000 and it ended up at over $8000. We deleted a few of the impulse decisions and kept the external and kitchen upgrades.
As for colours, I would highly recomment driving around new estates and see what colours jump out at you. Do your homework and have a very good idea what you want before you go to the colours appointment. Even do another trip to the show room if you can and take heaps of photos.
Wow! $8,000. What upgrades did you get with that? Did you not go for an elegance package ??
My carpet got done today and photos are up

OurDayDream28
Wow! $8,000. What upgrades did you get with that? Did you not go for an elegance package ??

We didn't go with the elegance package. It saved us $10,000 going with the designer with upgrades. $2000 of the $8000 was carpet. We were quoted for bricks above the windows and that was $1000, $800 was for 40mm stone, $600 for undermount sink and fancy tap. $600 for off white mortar, eko-deck for the gables ($400). We also added in painting a different colour in the master bedroom and media room and that came to just over $1000. The rest was carpet underlay upgraded and other bits and pieces that added up fast lol.
How about the Electrical appointment, did you have a $5,000 allowance ? Did you use it all? Did you buy items after the appointment and ask for them to install it ?
Our electrical came to 12k total. We got coral to do everything. It then all comes under warranty, and don't need to worry about our sparky saying no I'm not doing cash. We only need to buy our pendant lights.
We know it's a lot of money, but it's worth it just to take the hassle out of it for us.

We spent $5k in Clipsal and an additional $1500 cashie through electrician and still have minimal lights in house. Daydream showhomes have 78 lights in their house! We are aiming for that and have had sparkie position the lights in the bedrooms so it's all set up as far as wiring for us to easily add down the track

Finished our appointments today, colour and electrical. Hopefully now we can this build happening.

A couple of photos of our selection

I somehow missed this post

Love the lustrous elm, we have that in our bathrooms

Gorgeous selections
Sorry it's been awhile since we have done an updated on our land and house.

Today we finally settled on the land after being stuffed around by our broker and the lender. We are so glad that part of it is over. We can now move on and start building our new home. Now it's over to Coral Homes to make this a smooth journey for us, we now have to wait for Council's approval then we should have our start date.

Our colour variation came back from our Colour Appointment and was $2,381 with about a $450 credit from our Electrical Appointment to come off the variation as well. We will be doing a few things ourselves after keys are handed to us.

So happy to have the land settled today!!!
Related
13/06/2024
What are our rights with our draftsman and the completion of

Building A New House

I second taking your plans elsewhere. They're yours (unless you ended up in one of those cheaper arrangements where you don't own the rights and the build will be tendered…

16/06/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Sadly no movement on site since soak wells went in. There are also missing/wrong storm water drains which need to be sorted, along with a broken pipe. Plumbing has been…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum