Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building 2 storey with APG Homes in WA – Our build thread

Page 2 of 4
I have have followed your blog for a little while now. I really like the plan. We're looking to build a house soon and doing some budgeting at the moment. I was wondering how much to build this plan?
Thank you
Hi Rachel, thank you!

We spent months and months refining our plan before signing with our builder. I've sent you a private message with costs
Our second storey slab went down earlier this week. Exciting times! Now the long wait while we wait for the concrete to cure. Good news that the forecast is rain, rain and rain over the next week so the slab shouldn't dry out too fast

We went to our site this weekend and were pleasantly surprised to see the brickwork had started on the 2nd floor. For a weeks worth of work, they've made great progress... Here's hoping the weather holds out the next week or so while they finish off the brickwork!

Things are really moving along, the electricians and plumbers have been on site running cables to areas under the slab. I really wish I could visit the site on a weekday as I'm sure it would be a hive of activity!

It looks like everything is coming along great Dan

Follow our build with Express Two Storey (Ventura Group): http://tinyurl.com/jlykgph
Visited the site on the weekend and we were very surprised to see the upper storey brickwork complete! We did think that given the rain we've had over the last few days that they may not have finished, however, the brickies have made pretty fast work of our build and it's done!

Now that the brick work is up we did notice that the upper storey does seem to look a bit weirdly placed over the ground floor. We think now that we should have stretched the right-hand side of the top floor to the right-hand side of the ground floor a little further.

As part of our modifications to the ground floor we stretched the lounge forward to bring it as far forward as we could on the block. In doing so, it's meant that the left-hand side of the upper floor is recessed back a fair bit as we didn't bring that forward either (you can't really notice it on the photo below).

While we're totally happy with the size of the rooms we've got, we are mindful that it wouldn't have taken too much more to make some of them even bigger to utilise the available space even further. However that said, that would have increased the cost a fair bit more given that the cost to build on the second storey is so much more.

I'm sure once the front is all rendered it will look fine, it's just something we're noticing now as we were tweaking so much of the design at the PPA stage.

Front view:

Rear view:
So we didn't get out to our site last weekend so we were pretty excited to see how much progress has been made over the last fortnight. The roof carpenters have been and put up most of the roof frame on the second storey.

I've been thinking about solar electricity lately. We hadn't considered it (or thought about it) prior to now, but it would make sense that seeing as we plan on living in the house a while, that we might want to put it in at some point. I have no idea how hard it is to install in a 2 storey house after handover, so we've got APG sussing it out for us now (in case they need to put conduits or a pre-wire in for us).
Another fortnight of steaming through the build! The few days of miserable weather didn't stop progress! Electrical and plumbing is mostly completed to the top storey, as well as all the smart wiring. Bits and pieces have been run to the bottom storey, but I suspect they are waiting until the roof cover is on the ground floor before doing too much.

One thing I did find interesting is that even on the cavity walls on the second storey, the electrical wires have been cut into the bricks (rather than being run down the cavity). On the ground floor they are run through the cavity, no idea why it's not the case on the second storey? I'll speak to the site supervisor about it when he calls for his fortnightly update next week.

Landing on the upper storey:

Master bedroom ensuite:

The wiring from the smart wiring panel on the second storey, through to all the points under the suspended slab. Far right is where the water feeds into the wet areas upstairs. This hole fits under the peak of the ground floor rooft

Master bedroom

It's starting to look like home!
danbiscuit
Thanks for the photos
I suggest you take a few more and check the engineering Roof beams plans over the stairs
as there is lot going on up there?
StructuralBIMGuy
@danbiscuit
Thanks for the photos
I suggest you take a few more and check the engineering Roof beams plans over the stairs

G'day, thanks for replying. I've got the following photos from that area.

We did ask the builder to ensure there was an appropriate beam to hang a pendant light down from in the future.What are your thoughts??

Danbiscuit Unfortunately the photos aren't that clear over the stairs
There appears to be a counter beam of some sorts with struttings (LHS/Middle) ?
Check your engineering drawing and the connections
BTW it's for you own benefit that you take proper photos etc,etc
You only have to put them up if there are queries hth
G'day, thanks for highlighting it! I live quite far from our site at the moment, so I'll check it out this weekend and take a few more photos

Dan
danbiscuit
Another fortnight of steaming through the build! The few days of miserable weather didn't stop progress! Electrical and plumbing is mostly completed to the top storey, as well as all the smart wiring. Bits and pieces have been run to the bottom storey, but I suspect they are waiting until the roof cover is on the ground floor before doing too much.

One thing I did find interesting is that even on the cavity walls on the second storey, the electrical wires have been cut into the bricks (rather than being run down the cavity). On the ground floor they are run through the cavity, no idea why it's not the case on the second storey? I'll speak to the site supervisor about it when he calls for his fortnightly update next week.

Landing on the upper storey:

Master bedroom ensuite:

The wiring from the smart wiring panel on the second storey, through to all the points under the suspended slab. Far right is where the water feeds into the wet areas upstairs. This hole fits under the peak of the ground floor rooft

Master bedroom

It's starting to look like home!

Hi danbiscuit
Looking great,
Could be flashing in the walls/cavity, to get down the cavity to where your GPO's are (300mm),then they may have had to penetrate through this. Which is not good, hence why they have chased the cavity walls.
danbiscuit
StructuralBIMGuy
@danbiscuit
Thanks for the photos

G'day, thanks for replying. I've got the following photos from that area.

We did ask the builder to ensure there was an appropriate beam to hang a pendant light down from in the future.What are your thoughts??

Hi danbiscuit,
In regards to the future pendant light, most cases it will attach the the ceiling joists, obviously depending on how heavy the light is which would be determined once onsite, an electrician can always install and extra support once the ceiling is up. Similar to installing a ceiling fan if there was an existing light point before!
Hi danbiscuit
Sorry to bombard you,
In regards to solar you could install the inverter inside the store area of the garage, or if you like they can always install it adjacent to the meter box, as they are weather protected. I would install it inside personally!

To think about for ease of installation at later stage:
Cable from switchboard to inverter location (2.5mm - 4mm Twin+E) up and over to garage/store
As there is a small roof space to the right side of your garage the installers will more than likely be able to install the DC side to there.
Failing that I believe the installation can be done at a later stage if it was installed near the meterbox
G'day Sparky, thanks for your replies!

I spoke to our site supervisor about not running the cables through the cavity walls, and he said they generally always cut them into the walls with both internal and external walls. I asked him whether I would be able to use the cavity in the future (as I'll probably want to get some extra data points upstairs after handover), and he said there was no issues using the cavity.

Interesting that you mention the flashing, I've taken heaps of photos of all stages of the build, and I have noticed lots of flashing where the upper and ground roofs will intersect, I haven't noticed anywhere I would potentially want to be adding data points at a later date.

I took this photo above the stairs: not sure if it all looks legit? Maybe there are so many beams to give us flexibility when we put our downlight in??

I ended up getting APG to run the solar pre-wire, it just seems easier that way.. They are just confirming the location of the wires in the garage now, I have asked them to run it to a little nook on the left hand side of the garage, so the inverter is out of the way. I'll have a lot of shelving in the store area so I don't want to have the inverter there.
This week there's been heaps of progress, although not as noticeable as the past few months. More of the electrical, data, and security cabling has been run on the upper storey.

The air conditioning ducts have been run through the upper storey, and the corner beads have been put on the upper storey corners... Hopefully, that means the internal cement render is imminent?

danbiscuit
Thanks for the update
I suggest you get the Counter beam & Connections checked & certified by an engineer in writing , first check your engineering beam drawings/details and then have the revised Structure certified as equivalent/ or better than what's required in the codes (min.). if you require assistance please leave a PM
Hi danbiscuit
Yeah that is a good location I agree!
Is the GPO on the plan you have circled a separate circuit from the switchboard? just check this, as it appears to be a standard GPO at a certain height symbol. Needs to be a dedicated circuit for the inverter.
Also check if there is a separate conduit installed into the slab for the solar installers to get the DC side to the inverter.
I can see there will be roof space at the front of the house hopefully they can install the DC to the garage that way if no conduit has been installed.
Have you got an electrical plan that you can upload?
StructuralBIMGuy
@danbiscuit
Thanks for the update
I suggest you get the Counter beam & Connections checked & certified by an engineer in writing , first check your engineering beam drawings/details and then have the revised Structure certified as equivalent/ or better than what's required in the codes (min.). if you require assistance please leave a PM

I'll chase it up with the builder this week. We actually haven't been provided any engineering drawings (the steel beams to support the upper slab are marked on the drawings but nothing to do with the roof timber, beyond the fall direction of the roof). I'll let you know what the say

Thanks again
Related
29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

22/01/2024
(Another) garage conversion advice thread

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Apologies - I know there is plenty out there on this but struggling to put together the puzzle. We're planning our garage/external laundry to master bedroom and…

31/10/2023
Acreage, double storey

Building A New House

We're in NSW, but designs from anywhere ok for inspo!

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum