Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our Custom Hamptons Inspired Home - We are in!!!

Page 2 of 40
oh definitely following your thread!! I'm obsessed with anything hamptons style in anyway at all, can't wait to see your home start!!
Looking forward to your build pictures. We are also trying to achieve the Hamptons look but by modifying an existing Metricon design. We are also using the James Hardie Scyon Linea boards for our build and have chosen Dulux Grey Pail for the exterior and Lexicon half for our windows/ doors etc.

Please post lots of pictures as your build progresses!!

Welcome to our new Metricon Henderson

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=81978

https://metriconhenderson.wordpress.com

Dani_J
BrownDog77
Just found your thread. Looks like fantastic choices can't wait to see them come together

Thank you. Will continue to post more of our internal selections over the coming days, some which I'm not sure about so will definitely need some advice!

It's so hard isn't it? I second guess things I like daily hoping it all looks ok together
about to google Martins Harmonys colours as we like stone bricks too but render colours are driving me crazy
lol

ZoePerth
Gorgeous. We have kitty grey walls and love them, very flexible with different schemes. It's a solver colour but can be tinted in any paint - we opted for dulux - and so I'm sure that you could tint Taubmans with it?

Would love to see your walls if you have any pics?

That's good to know. The paint colours are just so hard to choose. Everyone goes on about some grey colours throwing up pink, yellow or blue tones. It just makes me very nervous locking anything in before actually testing it! Though it's good to try and narrow it down a bit.

Kitty Grey on paper/online looks too beige for my liking, but when I see actual rooms painted in it, it looks lovely. Did you go with the actual Solver brand when you painted, or get in tinted in another brand?
M and T
Looking forward to your build pictures. We are also trying to achieve the Hamptons look but by modifying an existing Metricon design. We are also using the James Hardie Scyon Linea boards for our build and have chosen Dulux Grey Pail for the exterior and Lexicon half for our windows/ doors etc.

Thanks M and T. I have been secretly following your thread for a while now
and can I say your kitchen is just AMAZING! Are you rapt with everything so far? You are certainly not going to be pressed for space LOL. I am looking forward to seeing more of your build also as we seem to have similar (good) taste!! I will also have to check out Grey Pail.

It's funny building a Hamptons style home isn't it? Whilst it now it seems to be much more common, some builders still have no idea when it comes to basic things like shaker cabinets. So we really have to work hard to ensure they get our vision! Also, there are lots of variations on the Hamptons theme and how traditional you want to go with it. We have opted for a slightly modern take through some basic things such as the exterior (had no choice about this one anyway), window profile and tapware. Hopefully it all turns out.
Dani_J
ZoePerth
Gorgeous. We have kitty grey walls and love them, very flexible with different schemes. It's a solver colour but can be tinted in any paint - we opted for dulux - and so I'm sure that you could tint Taubmans with it?

Would love to see your walls if you have any pics?

That's good to know. The paint colours are just so hard to choose. Everyone goes on about some grey colours throwing up pink, yellow or blue tones. It just makes me very nervous locking anything in before actually testing it! Though it's good to try and narrow it down a bit.

Kitty Grey on paper/online looks too beige for my liking, but when I see actual rooms painted in it, it looks lovely. Did you go with the actual Solver brand when you painted, or get in tinted in another brand?

Yes we tinted Dulux paint with KG. It is a greige colour so dependant on your surrounding colours it could look beige first as opposed to grey. I was too scared to go for a true grey colour as opposed to greige as I definitely did not want it to throw any blue. I have some pictures on my thread, I'm not home right now to take any more
I find it a lovely powdery kind of colour if that makes sense. Just love how flexible it is.. and not blue lol
Plans are looking great too, I really like the master BR so separate from the other brs. We couldn't quite swing that on our plans without a lot of extra cost, due to needing an attached granny flat downstairs.

Your ensuite looks huge!

Dani_J
M and T

and can I say your kitchen is just AMAZING! Are you rapt with everything so far? You are certainly not going to be pressed for space LOL. I am looking forward to seeing more of your build also as we seem to have similar (good) taste!! I will also have to check out Grey Pail.

It's funny building a Hamptons style home isn't it? Whilst it now it seems to be much more common, some builders still have no idea when it comes to basic things like shaker cabinets. So we really have to work hard to ensure they get our vision! Also, there are lots of variations on the Hamptons theme and how traditional you want to go with it. We have opted for a slightly modern take through some basic things such as the exterior (had no choice about this one anyway), window profile and tapware. Hopefully it all turns out.

Thank you! I love our kitchen and laundry, I'm really happy with the outcome.

That is SO true re: our vision! The hardest part in our build was trying to communicate exactly what we wanted, and even with multiple pictures from Pinterest they still struggled with achieving a lot of what we wanted. I guess that's sort of to be expected with a project builder though...

Your exterior will look amazing, I found a similar exterior to yours and it was one of my inspirational pics too! Porter Davis has a similar exterior to yours -

I really love the Hamptons look with a touch of industrial throughout - my main inspiration is from the tv show Revenge and I also love "Fixer Upper", they have some beautifully styled homes.

I am trying to select furniture at the moment, it's tricky trying to select pieces that look beautiful yet are functional for a family with children.

Looking forward to seeing your build come together, post lots of pics!!

ZoePerth
Yes we tinted Dulux paint with KG. It is a greige colour so dependant on your surrounding colours it could look beige first as opposed to grey. I was too scared to go for a true grey colour as opposed to greige as I definitely did not want it to throw any blue. I have some pictures on my thread, I'm not home right now to take any more
I find it a lovely powdery kind of colour if that makes sense. Just love how flexible it is.. and not blue lol

Yes I see what you mean. Just found your thread and checked it out. Congrats on moving in by the way. The house looks lovely and your kids must be loving the pool right now

Also great to see someone else without overhead kitchen cabinets! Being on the short side, they are a bit pointless to me (ha ha) so we've decided to go without this time round.

Hillsbuilds
Plans are looking great too, I really like the master BR so separate from the other brs. We couldn't quite swing that on our plans without a lot of extra cost, due to needing an attached granny flat downstairs.

Your ensuite looks huge!

Thanks Hillsbuilds. We wanted the other bedrooms separate so we have more privacy when guests stay over. In our current home, the guest bedroom backs onto our ensuite. Needless to say the privacy is somewhat lacking, especially when using the loo in the middle of the night!!!

As for the ensuite, I'll probably regret the size when it comes to cleaning it. But after living with a small ensuite with only a single vanity, small shower and toilet in the same room, it is going to be great.

So how many bedrooms do you have? Did you end up with all of them upstairs to make way for the granny flat downstairs?

M and T
Dani_J
M and T

That is SO true re: our vision! The hardest part in our build was trying to communicate exactly what we wanted, and even with multiple pictures from Pinterest they still struggled with achieving a lot of what we wanted. I guess that's sort of to be expected with a project builder though...

Your exterior will look amazing, I found a similar exterior to yours and it was one of my inspirational pics too! Porter Davis has a similar exterior to yours -

I really love the Hamptons look with a touch of industrial throughout - my main inspiration is from the tv show Revenge and I also love "Fixer Upper", they have some beautifully styled homes.

I am trying to select furniture at the moment, it's tricky trying to select pieces that look beautiful yet are functional for a family with children.

Ha ha. The tv show Revenge probably has a lot to answer for when it comes to the Hamptons style resurgence. If only it was not so blo*dy expensive! I can only imagine that must be harder with kids. Definitely harder to justify buying expensive furniture when it's more likely to cop a bit of a beating lol.

Where are you currently looking for furniture? There are heaps of dedicated Hamptons suppliers online, but also $$$ as I think a lot of their stuff is imported from the states.

Dani_J

Thanks Hillsbuilds. We wanted the other bedrooms separate so we have more privacy when guests stay over. In our current home, the guest bedroom backs onto our ensuite. Needless to say the privacy is somewhat lacking, especially when using the loo in the middle of the night!!!

As for the ensuite, I'll probably regret the size when it comes to cleaning it. But after living with a small ensuite with only a single vanity, small shower and toilet in the same room, it is going to be great.

So how many bedrooms do you have? Did you end up with all of them upstairs to make way for the granny flat downstairs?

Aha, well, we ended up having the guest br downstairs next to the powder room, so it's kind of a "suite". At our current place the guest br is downstairs and I love it the privacy. Upstairs we have the master and two kids' rooms. I specified to the architect that the kids rooms have to be exactly the same, so no squabbles as to who gets which! But now they're squabbling anyway over who gets the one closer to the bathroom...

When our plans are finalised I will definitely start my own thread and put them on. Actually there's an old iteration on the custom build thread, I'll see if I can find the link.

And woot for the big ensuite you'll love it! It'll be like living in a resort permanently.

Dani_J
ZoePerth

Yes I see what you mean. Just found your thread and checked it out. Congrats on moving in by the way. The house looks lovely and your kids must be loving the pool right now

Also great to see someone else without overhead kitchen cabinets! Being on the short side, they are a bit pointless to me (ha ha) so we've decided to go without this time round.

😁 the inclusions we had were meant to have upper cupboards but because I added units across the side of the kitchen to accommodate the sink off the island unit, plus added units in the laundry we ran out of the inclusion allowance 😂 Honestly we have so much space in the current lower units that I would have nothing to put up top, and I'm tall 😂 xx
Loving it all. Love love love the stairs. Will you do wainscoting inside?
I love the floors too. Are you going oak?

I had similar inspiration on the floors and ended up with something I like but isn't as nice as what you have as your inspiration!

Dani_J
M and T
Dani_J
[quote="M and T"]Looking forward to your build pictures. We are also trying to achieve the Hamptons look but by modifying an existing Metricon design. We are also using the James Hardie Scyon Linea boards for our build and have chosen Dulux Grey Pail for the exterior and Lexicon half for our windows/ doors etc.

Ha ha. The tv show Revenge probably has a lot to answer for when it comes to the Hamptons style resurgence. If only it was not so blo*dy expensive! I can only imagine that must be harder with kids. Definitely harder to justify buying expensive furniture when it's more likely to cop a bit of a beating lol.

Where are you currently looking for furniture? There are heaps of dedicated Hamptons suppliers online, but also $$$ as I think a lot of their stuff is imported from the states.

[/quote]

Almost everything I'm looking at is online.... Definitely Pottery Barn Kids for my daughter's bedroom although Max Sparrow has just released a similar kids line, La Maison in Sydney, Maison Living in Melbourne, Schots Home Emporium in Melbourne (nice pendants), Zanui online... My lounges are from Freedom - most cost effective option!

Looking at these pieces at the moment

For daughter's bedroom -

Daughter's Room

Dining Table

Pendants

Do you know of any other furniture suppliers that stock Hampton's style furniture ??

I have also found 1825 interiors and Early Settler to be worth a look. We have also found a few pieces at ozdesign that work.

Hi
Posting to follow. Excited to watch you build begin. We have our Hamptons style plans approved by council finally so great to watch another Hamptons inspired build.
WoH
I've got my eye on some pendants from Schots!

I think our furniture style will have to be "eclectic" as we have lots of existing furniture already! Wish I could start with a blank slate

yvonneh
Loving it all. Love love love the stairs. Will you do wainscoting inside?
I love the floors too. Are you going oak?

I had similar inspiration on the floors and ended up with something I like but isn't as nice as what you have as your inspiration!

Thanks Yvonne. So there will be wainscoting on both sides of the stairs if you know what I mean, but I haven't really planned it anywhere else at this stage. I have been considering adding a half wall of it to the master bedroom, something like this:

I have no idea how expensive it is though so we'll have to see. If we don't go with that, then it will be wall paper in the master as a feature. There are some beautiful damask wall papers around, too many to choose from!

Below: Josette Seaspray Wallpaper by Laura Ashley. Have this on my Pintrest and love it!

Yes, oak is the plan for the floors. Just gotta decide laminate vs. engineered boards and colour. No idea if we are better off "sticking" them down or floating as apparently you can do either. What's your current floor inspo? I'm sure it's nice and would love to see
Save
OMG M&T!! That bed you have picked out for your daughter is SOOO CUTE. Also, I am in love with that dining table! Where can you get something like that?!

Just got out my iPad and went through my bookmarked furniture places. Here's a few Australian websites. I think the first one is used by a few builders to style their display homes

https://interiorsonline.com.au/collections/hamptons

http://www.hamptonsstyle.com.au/

[url=https://www.lightingsuperstore.com.au/category/hamptons/166]https://www.lightingsuperstore.com.au/category/hamptons/166[/url]
Related
27/09/2023
Custom home builder in north east Melbourne

Building A New House

Hi, can anyone recommend a custom home builder who can build in north east area? Looking to build a custom 4-br energy-efficient home with a max budget of 750k. If they…

1/01/2024
Custom Home Design - Suggestions and Recommendation

Building A New House

ideal house depends on the site and location as much as internal floor plan....what is the distance from the house to all four boundaries, where is north, describe your…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum