Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our Carolina (slightly modified) Build With Montgomery Homes

Page 2 of 2
Hi Rochelle-1212, his name is Andrew B. There's a couple of houses that's building with MH in our estate, he's probably everyones SS. I read your build thread, how's your build going? Hopefully it's going good. We've just had a tiny setback - we were advised by the flooring people that MH is not "tacking" the skirting boards anymore. So hubby will just have to remove the boards himself for the floor people since the floor people I think won't remove skirting boards that are not "tacked". Or it might be more expensive to remove the boards themselves.

Mood board - lighting fixtures.
LIGHTING AND AIRCON

Will be buying our LED Downlights from Brightgreen. Free lighting design from their in-house designer. Will be getting the classic D700 and D550 - for narrow beam lights and LOOMI LED for ambient lighting in bathrooms etc. Specified that I was on a limited budget. I’ll buy directly from them so their quotes matched the currently cheapest retailer online plus they gave me a 20% (cash) discount - limited time offer! What I like is the 7 year warranty for the D700 and D550.

Some of our lights will be from good ole IKEA, bäve tracklights, and led oyster lights for the bedroom; bought my pendants from Beacon lighting when they had the year end sale.

Only need to source flood lights, external wall lights, bathroom vanity lights and fluoro lights for the garage, and lighting complete.

Instead of split-aircon post build we’ve decided to install ducted aircon as a variation. Should have included in original tender - admin fee variation + builders cost, overall cost of ducted is about 12,000. Daikin 6hp, 14w 8 grills and zoned. Not bad.

Slab down for the lower level.

A week later frames and windows up. Wideline windows and stacker door frames in Monument.
Week 5
Lower level: frames and brick veneer

lia_dvm
Hi Rochelle-1212, his name is Andrew B. There's a couple of houses that's building with MH in our estate, he's probably everyones SS. I read your build thread, how's your build going? Hopefully it's going good. We've just had a tiny setback - we were advised by the flooring people that MH is not "tacking" the skirting boards anymore. So hubby will just have to remove the boards himself for the floor people since the floor people I think won't remove skirting boards that are not "tacked". Or it might be more expensive to remove the boards themselves.

Hi,

Sorry I haven't been on here in a while. I have spent all my spare time picking up on Montgomery mistakes, complaining about lack of communication and so on. Can't wait until this is all over. Myself and others building Montgomery all feel the same way. They are hopeless at anything that has been altered off a normal plan. Watch them. They will lie and try and persuade you on things that are probable their mistakes that they don't want to fix. Hope yours is going well! How many weeks in are you with your build?
Rochelle-1212
lia_dvm

Hi,

Sorry I haven't been on here in a while. I have spent all my spare time picking up on Montgomery mistakes, complaining about lack of communication and so on. Can't wait until this is all over. Myself and others building Montgomery all feel the same way. They are hopeless at anything that has been altered off a normal plan. Watch them. They will lie and try and persuade you on things that are probable their mistakes that they don't want to fix. Hope yours is going well! How many weeks in are you with your build?

Thanks for the heads up. So far so good. Didn’t have too many alterations with the Carolina plan so hopefully they won’t mess up too much. 5 weeks into the build now, a lot more to go. Our SS actually saved us from building a retaining wall with the neighbours’ (they too are building with MH) so pretty grateful about that.

lia_dvm
Rochelle-1212
lia_dvm

Hi,

Thanks for the heads up. So far so good. Didn’t have too many alterations with the Carolina plan so hopefully they won’t mess up too much. 5 weeks into the build now, a lot more to go. Our SS actually saved us from building a retaining wall with the neighbours’ (they too are building with MH) so pretty grateful about that.

That's great! Lucky you. Looking forwarding to more updated pictures of your build.
3rd month of build. Progress pics.

A week after.

Kitchen with window backsplash.

Garage. Massive backfill required.

Nice view out the window.
Month 4

Bricks finished, gutters and fascia on.

Roof on. Plumbing rough-in done.
Cladding, aircon, electrical done. Pre-lining inspection on the 21st May.

We have the front door.

Month 6

Gyprock, cornice, architraves and baseboards installed. Kitchen cabinets and pantry cabinets, bathroom and ensuite vanity installed. Garage door installed. House is definitely locked up.

Water tank in.

Tentative date of handover is late August.

lia_dvm

Hi, interested to see how it all went. Have you moved in yet?
We are breaking ground late this month with MH.
Paola123
lia_dvm

Hi, interested to see how it all went. Have you moved in yet?
We are breaking ground late this month with MH.

Hi, handover was on schedule. Doing the move slow, still finishing the landscaping.
Landscaping a bit tricky because of the slope. Fortunate enough to have a knowledgeable landscaper on-board.
POST-HANDOVER

Handover happened exactly as scheduled. Pretty stoked about how everything turned out. I think our build was easy because we didn’t deviate too much from the standard Montgomery designs. What I’m most pleased about is our lighting choices, we didn’t go with the standard set of downlights from MH, we bought directly from the manufacturer (Brightgreen), shopped during sales (Beacon), bought some online (golights.com) and some from IKEA. Most pleased also with the sink - deep big sink from IKEA. We went with the 5-star options, upgraded the shower screens to semi-frameless and added ducted aircon as a variation. Flooring, we went with the bathroom/laundry tile supplier (Tile Direct) since they also had carpet and laminate floor selections. Flooring turned out beautiful. Laminates are Kronoswiss, dark oak wide long planks that are guaranteed for kitchens and comes with 25 yr warranty. Carpet is very soft Samara Pelt. Our house I think is the most unassuming house in the block, but we think as long as the inside is very comfortable and practical, it’s the best house for us. We are now working with an experienced landscaper, who is currently working on the driveway, timber deck (we extended the front porch), side steps, retaining wall and the turfed areas. What is the worst part of our build - not having enough money, haha!
Next on the to-do list is fence, getting blinds installed - Screenaway blinds and roller blinds from the local curtains shop, sealing the grout in the showers, epoxy the garage floor, install garage shelving, install Aggi drains in the sub-basement (which my husband will turn into his man-cave eventually), and moving in!

Pictures to follow.
Great! Anymore pics?
lia_dvm
Hubby and I are long time renters and (first) homeowner newbies. Created this thread in memory of our build.

Finally took the plunge when we've had enough downpayment saved. Found vacant land in a new subdivision being constructed in Lisarow in Central Coast. Didn't know much about the building process essentially just went with our guts and lucky enough to buy in a beautiful area minutes away from the train station and the shops and schools. Our lot is a downhill slope (from the street) overlooking trees / bushland with BAL rating of 19. We chose Montgomery Homes to build with and so far everything has been going smoothly - except with the costs of the upgrades (but of course floor to ceiling tiles in the bathrooms and free standing cooker and oven- haha) and site costs. In deference to our budget, we've stuck mostly with all the inclusions offered (5 star) and didn't sign up for anything fancy. The only thing we've re-arranged in our Carolina plan is to remove the Home Theatre area, made the kitchen area bigger and made the pantry my dream pantry. In the future, thinking of figuring a way of putting in a dumbwaiter from the garage to the downstairs area and making the house more ageing in place friendly.

Due to fall of the land, our builder tweaked the plan from a tri-level split to a full-split with the living areas downstairs and the bedrooms and garage in the upper level.

Our little boy is looking forward to having his own room and maybe having a pet cat (or a dog if hubby has a say in it). Will post pictures soon.

Hello just wanted to see the noise level between the top and bottom floor. Does noise travel. Also do the two lots of stairs bother you
Related
23/05/2024
Montgomery Carolina in 2024

Building A New House

I love the Carolina but Montgomery wouldnt build on our site. We have a completed Carolina a couple of streets away and drive by a mid build Carolina a couple of times…

8/11/2023
Our house was beautiful until Distinctive Homes destroyed ou

General Discussion

of course there are legal avenues. You've already mentioned it. Sue them. I find it odd that lawyers wouldnt be willing to take on the case, given CCT evidence and…

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum