Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

The epic home building race - HANDOVER FINALLY!!!

Page 2 of 25
Sorry to hear that you have had some bad news ? Sending positive vibes your way.

Awesome news about the wall though ? That would have been a nice surprise though!!
Have just read back on your thread, I am so sorry to hear about your bad news ? I hope you are both ok ?
You block is beautiful and your plan ? Love love it and can't wait to see your progress!

Rainy but worth it today!

Thanks Ladybug and fleabee for the wishes and positive vibes! Gestational diabetes just makes the pregnancy more tricky but we will be ok, and hopefully bub will be healthy when she comes out! ?
They filled in all the holes yesterday. Wall needs to cure for one week. Then fill comes in! Which will take 2-3 days. Then... slab.. then frames... then the world! ? oh wait...
Rain, rain go away.
Let us build our house today!

Wife went by the house (or lot where house is supposed to be...) today twice!
Dry and no clouds.
But alas no action..
let's hope for a good turn tomorrow??
That's such a shame
Hopefully they will be there getting stuck into it soon!
fleabee86
That's such a shame
Hopefully they will be there getting stuck into it soon!

Thanks, even worse today the rain stopped it was sunny and it all looked quite dry. but alas, no action! Ah well, the things we don't understand about building when we are getting impatient!!
Yay! Some fill has been put down. Not a total loss for this week! But the heavens will be open this weekend especially in the northern nsw. Stay safe everyone!

Day 2 of fill. Though we don't know if they worked over the weekend! A bit of rain still but I think it was dry enough today that there was some more progress made with filling up the wall! (The rock is now buried again.. and there is wall face exposed.) Progress!

I'm only guessing but maybe another two days to finish? and then likely... will needs to wait for some dry weather before the slab gets done.

Rain rain go away!
Let us build our slab today! ?
Yay congrats! there is nothing worse then going by expecting someone to be there and there isn't lol
happy for you that you are up to the next stage I remember how excited I was just to see the ground had been broken lol
So in two days and over 20 truck loads later, our slab is looking near!

Before

After

A bit wary of the steepness of the eventual driveway... which will be toward the left in the photos. Will see what our builder says when I cross examine the plans.

Days off for a few days so plenty of time to scrutinise the block.
ruraldoc

Before

After

A bit wary of the steepness of the eventual driveway... which will be toward the left in the photos. Will see what our builder says when I cross examine the plans.

Yes that driveway does look steep. Be interesting to see how it eventually ends up.

Wow they built it up a fair bit. Your driveway looks like it's going to be steep. Bring on your slab!!!! Ps how the wife and the pregnancy going?

GJ Gardner Modified Coolum 277
viewtopic.php?t=83643
Oops website maintenance stopped me from posting at my usual midnight hour, yesterday.

Indeed, Waldorf!!

So I poured over the approved building plans (on my day off!! ).. and basically the driveway should be about 0.75-1m fall over a distance of 12-13metres from the garage door from slab edge to the kerb, based on topography and the height of the eventual slab.

That should equal to a gradient of 8.33% which is equivalent to the standard slope of a manual wheelchair ramp.

When we went yesterday to check it out, it looks like they will still have to smooth out the fill and drit to the right gradient before laying the driveway. I'm hoping we will work out with a more shallow slope, because certainly council would not be happy if ...
1) the driveway ends up too steep
2) the crossover and nature strip area are not level enough per their standards..

Also from my perspective - we do not want a steep kerb - coz that will scratch our cars every time we try to climb the thing (we don't subscribe to higher riding SUVs ... yet) and also we do not want upcoming baby and soon to be older brother to be around a potentially dangerous concrete slope!

It will be something to keep an eye on. Didn't get a chance to talk to the builders yesterday, it was too rainy! However, they should already know we were very keen to have a 'safe' and accessible driveway since the beginning.
But if I make them aware of it now, in case they need to plan for it before everything else goes up.. Yup watch this space!

Cb - wife's really struggling with the latter stages of this pregnancy!! But we will get there one way or another. We have lots of support in town, but it has been hard for her to manage the gestational diabetes!!

Otherwise, I hope that you guys are safe in Lismore area! Stay safe everyone!
ruraldoc

Before

After

OMG that looks awesome!! So much has happened since I was last one!
Thanks! Wish it was quicker.. but alas rain and stuff...

Spoke to the builders and we have the possibility of having slab being concreted after Easter so hopefully some form work over the next two weeks!:x]

Also, feeling more reassured by the driveway not being too steep. The team are definitely aware of how important it is for us!
Hey ruraldoc,

I found your thread
. Great looking floor plan you have and congrats on getting started.

Thanks for your kind words too, I noticed you have managed to dabble in some red feature tiles
if you can paint your front door a vibrant colour go for it. I'm trying to coax mr T into a sunshine yellow front door, he wants a timber framed glass centered door

We have actually moved out closer to you from our maudsland house, western side of the wyalong and gosh it's pretty. Huge trek to the shops though
(they tell me I will get used to it)

I'm really interested to see how it all goes with Dixon, they are our back up plan if Mr custom builder is too expensive.

Best of luck with the pregnancy, it's always exciting to hear about families expanding. Hope your wife is feeling ok, can't be much fun for her

Tribe7
Hey ruraldoc,

I found your thread

Thanks for your kind words too, I noticed you have managed to dabble in some red feature tiles
if you can paint your front door a vibrant colour go for it. I'm trying to coax mr T into a sunshine yellow front door, he wants a timber framed glass centered door

We have actually moved out closer to you from our maudsland house, western side of the wyalong and gosh it's pretty. Huge trek to the shops though

I'm really interested to see how it all goes with Dixon, they are our back up plan if Mr custom builder is too expensive.

Best of luck with the pregnancy, it's always exciting to hear about families expanding. Hope your wife is feeling ok, can't be much fun for her

Thanks, I think we will be pretty happy with our house. It is a bit eccentric but certainly has some interesting features. And realistically we will likely keep it long-term. We are not the types to sell things unless we really have to, though my wife is the worst for hoarding! (Don't tell her I said that... though it's partly the reason why she gets a giant sewing room!)

Wife is doing a lot better this week. It is only now 9 weeks away! eek.. and yes, we have come to terms that the house won't be ready for little monster-(ess)
. So hopefully no further dramas for her. She's been through a lot with me and my work. She deserves a break!!

All the best with your build once it all gets started! I do really feel for the housewife in smaller towns. They can sometimes struggle if they don't develop connections and friends early on! Luckily with Stanthorpe, it has been a good start for her. And our son has thrived as well. Probably a big part of why we fell in love with the town - other than the apples, grapes, wine, stonefruit, rocks, and cold!
Patiently waiting for these to get going on our pad of sand...

ruraldoc
Tribe7
Hey ruraldoc,

I found your thread

Thanks, I think we will be pretty happy with our house. It is a bit eccentric but certainly has some interesting features. And realistically we will likely keep it long-term. We are not the types to sell things unless we really have to, though my wife is the worst for hoarding! (Don't tell her I said that... though it's partly the reason why she gets a giant sewing room!)

Wife is doing a lot better this week. It is only now 9 weeks away! eek.. and yes, we have come to terms that the house won't be ready for little monster-(ess)
. So hopefully no further dramas for her. She's been through a lot with me and my work. She deserves a break!!

All the best with your build once it all gets started! I do really feel for the housewife in smaller towns. They can sometimes struggle if they don't develop connections and friends early on! Luckily with Stanthorpe, it has been a good start for her. And our son has thrived as well. Probably a big part of why we fell in love with the town - other than the apples, grapes, wine, stonefruit, rocks, and cold!

Hey rural,

I wouldn't worry about your home being eccentric, as long as it suits you guys and your happy your winning.
Yes I know what you mean about staying put, we don't plan on selling our new build in a hurry. Hehehhe your wife has a sewing and storage room, I'm personally not a hoarder but my kids are shocking, they keep the most insane things like the lid of the milk bottle to wanting to keep every single drawing they have ever done omg drives me nuts.

Oh wow 9 weeks is really not that long, I hope the last weeks are smooth sailing and everything falls into place nicely for you all.

I've spent a solid amount of time on the phone today sorting out our shed slab design, driveway design and bricks. Drafter has said plans will be back before Easter hooray. Everyone is our area is extremely friendly, the kids have made new friends and I'm in love with all the space.

I've never been to Stanthorpe, it does sound very lovely and from what I've heard a pretty town too.

That's exciting to see your rio delivered, won't be long till they are digging the plumbing in

Related
12/09/2023
Can a variation dispute hold up handover?

Building A New House

yes it does, you've just not understood it. theres a difference.

13/11/2023
Key Handover

General Discussion

Your house should come in "as new" condition. It should be clean, and without stains

10/05/2024
Final Invoice and Key Handover

Building A New House

Hi Need to read your contract about when final payment is received. Clearly outlines what happens. In vic, known defects or incomplete work must be completed before…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum