Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Rawson Homes - General Thread

Page 2 of 41
Perfect - thanks for the insight

Red, MorningStar did you guys use independent building inspectors? If so, did they identify many items that need to be rectified? I can see a couple on your end MorningStar

Which brick did you choose MorningStar? Is it a slurry brick? Looking forward to seeing the bricks up! Any idea when the roof tiles (or colourbond roofing) will be delivered?
We had an inspector at prelining and will get him back at PCI. He didn't find much and nothing we were really worried about.
Our roofing tiles were delivered pretty much as bricks were finished, as far as I recall.

anonymous-
did you guys use independent building inspectors? If so, did they identify many items that need to be rectified? I can see a couple on your end MorningStar

No we don't because my other half is a licensed builder. We're keeping a close watch on every aspect of the build.

anonymous-
Which brick did you choose MorningStar? Is it a slurry brick? Looking forward to seeing the bricks up! Any idea when the roof tiles (or colourbond roofing) will be delivered?

Austral Urban One range in Pepper. Yes it's a slurry brick.
Very exciting Morningstar!!
Those who have gone with slurry bricks, don't be alarmed by the scare tactics the sign off form states about quality. Our house was constructed with austral rosewood and whilst there are a few imperfections, the result is in line with the Balmoral on display at kellyville.

SteveMc
Those who have gone with slurry bricks, don't be alarmed by the scare tactics the sign off form states about quality. Our house was constructed with austral rosewood and whilst there are a few imperfections, the result is in line with the Balmoral on display at kellyville.

Hi Steve, this is just the type of experience-based statement I was looking for. We are finalising our external colours and are dead-set on slurry bricks (PGH's Truffle). We tried to ignore the apparent scare-tactics so your post was comforting.

Did you have to provide special instructions during brick cleaning? i.e. don't use an overly-powered pressure hose, don't use too much acid etc? Or did you just let them do their job?
I'm not aware of any special cleaning that was undertaken when the bricks were washed. The cleaner definitely used acid and a pressure cleaner so I'm sure these bricks are not susceptible to traditional brick cleaning practices.
The only imperfections were present when the bricks arrived. Very minor chips and blemishes you could consider as normal that every other brick would likely sustain during transport and handling. Honestly nothing to worry about in my personal experience.
[quote="SteveMc"]Those who have gone with slurry bricks, don't be alarmed by the scare tactics the sign off form states about quality. Our house was constructed with austral rosewood and whilst there are a few imperfections, the result is in line with the Balmoral on display at kellyville.

Thanks so much SteveMC, we have the same bricks as the Balmoral and I am having small panic attacks waiting for the brick laying to start. My conversation with Rawson at the time of sign off was that I will be happy with the same finish as the display home.

hello, was wondering if anyone knew the brand and colour for the floor tiles in the Rawson Edge display at Kellyville

thanks
Hi MorningStar,

Great thread!

Can you tell me what the builder did about exposed waffle pod and steel ? I am asking because slab of my house was done last week, and it has exposed waffle pod on a corner and an exposed steel bar on the top of the slab (See the thread viewtopic.php?f=31&t=85618&p=1641321#p1641321)

Looking forward to your reply eagerly.
We have had exposed reo since our slab was laid in March. It was literally fixed yesterday. Apparently they spray it with something to stop concrete cancer.

[quote="red15"]We have had exposed reo since our slab was laid in March. It was literally fixed yesterday. Apparently they spray it with something to stop concrete cancer.
]

When I complained about this to our builder, he said that it's not a big deal and he would spray something on it. Probably he was talking about the same thing that you have mentioned. Not sure if spraying it is good enough.

What's your opinion about the exposed waffle pod?
No they haven't done anything yet. They'll probably spray the reo bars with an epoxy coating/paint for corrosion protection. Whether this is sufficient depends on how bad the exposure is.

We're planning to fix it properly ourselves once we got the house completed ?
Our private inspector wasn't worried about it so I figured I shouldn't be either.

Yeah ours are not too bad either. We can easily fix this later on. It's important to pick our battles wisely. We still got a long way to go...
Does anyone know if the instantaneous hot water system (Rheem 875E26NF) have a temperature controller? Is it sufficient for a 2.5 bathroom house? I am thinking of adding an additional unit but not sure if this is necessary or not.
MorningStar
Yeah ours are not too bad either. We can easily fix this later on. It's important to pick our battles wisely. We still got a long way to go...

Fair enough.
Since the steel wire is visible on the top of the slab, I am just a bit concerned that the builder might not have put thick enough concrete cover on top of the steel. I can see the wire only at one place though on the whole slab. But well, it takes only one place to make me stressed about the whole thing.
sydneysider
Does anyone know if the instantaneous hot water system (Rheem 875E26NF) have a temperature controller? Is it sufficient for a 2.5 bathroom house? I am thinking of adding an additional unit but not sure if this is necessary or not.

Remote temperature controller can be had as an option. See this link: Rheem Hot Water
Looks like it should be sufficient for up to 3 bathrooms.

After a week's worth of delay, they've finally got the bricks started.
Glad to see your bricking has started Morningstar!

Has anyone had any experience with changing standard cladding with Rawson?

We are building Balmoral with Trend facade which comes with Axon (vertical) cladding. Wife prefers horizontal so we asked to change to Stria - which from a quick Google search is cheaper. Rawson came back and are charging us $1200 for using the cheaper material - which makes absolutely no sense. Both are standard materials which they use routinely on their builds.

Related
18/09/2023
General questions about building before I go to my builder

Building A New House

You should check your detail drawings, it may show downpipe within brick pier.

24/02/2024
Building in Vineyard with Rawson

Building A New House

Just started the Build process for Chifley 42 with Rawson homes, will keep you all posted with the Build progress.

22/01/2024
(Another) garage conversion advice thread

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Apologies - I know there is plenty out there on this but struggling to put together the puzzle. We're planning our garage/external laundry to master bedroom and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum