Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

First Build - Fairmont Homes SA - Lincoln Mod

Page 2 of 3
Oh wow! Thanks for doing up all those options oneJohn! They're fantastic!

I'm still very unsure about what I like, but atleast these will make it easier to visualise. I have a colour consult with Austral Bricks today, so I'll let you guys know what I ended up going with.
My Colour Selections in the end:

Brick: Austral Grange
Roof/Panel Lift/Front Door: Shale Grey
Gutters/Down Pipes/Facias/Gables/Windows: Woodland Grey

She hasn't sent the selections off, so I have until Monday to change my mind, but I think this is pretty good. I forgot to ask whether there's anyone else with the same roof/brick combo, but left them a voicemail, so hopefully I can go check some out if there are any.
My sketch up:

My concern is that now the downpipes are a bit too much, especially with the position of the one next to the garage door.

Maybe I should change it to a jasper or gully to try and match it to the brick?
Looks really good, I wouldn't introduce another colour you could alway paint that one down pipe with a colour matched to bricks later.
We are having a shale grey roof ( had it also on last build), going up next week!)
Congratulations on getting a scheme selected. It should work out fine. This is what my model gives for those colours:

I put a downpipe on the front wall to give a bit of an idea. Like bluesteel, I think you're probably best to keep the colour that matches in with the other trim.

One thing to check is the "natural" colour for mortar. Make sure that you've seen their sample wall for the actual mortar you get, because natural can have varied meanings. I'm assuming it means grey cement, but it doesn't really pin down the sand used unless it's something particular with that builder.
Cool. Thanks oneJohn. It doesn't look too bad on your model, does it?

The only options for windows they had were woodland grey and the silver grey one, I was thinking a creamy looking kitchen. I might have to change the kitchen to darker cupboards to match with the window frames. Hmm... Any ideas what would work well with the woodland grey? Otherwise I might need to change the windows to the silver colour.
I'm scared that the windows will stick out like a sore thumb with my beige cupboards and marble look laminate bench top with the woodland grey.
I wouldn't worry so much about the windows from the inside. We have mostly white interior in our current house, with dark window frames, and it seems to work ok. There is some black around though, like the kitchen benchtop and chairs, which may be helping it blend in. A&L also use an in-line reveal, which reduces the amount of visible frame. The silver would probably be a close enough match to your shale grey on the outside though, and may work out fine.
Thanks for your input guys!

But I've just had a complete change of heart...
I've had a look around and I think the Grange brick looks a bit dirty and prone to wear. The display village shows the bricks tend to get white shown through it and seeing it on houses around it area, I feel like it stands out as the worst colour choice.

I'm now leaning towards the Merlot from Austral, the dark red with the shale grey roof. Hopefully it doesn't date too quickly though.
Looking around at established houses is a good indicator, so if you don't like the grange on them, it'd be a good idea to stay away from it. I'm not very familiar with the Merlot brick, but the concept seems reasonable to me. You might need to watch the mortar though, as it may work better with an off-white mortar, and perhaps not raked. For some builders this will cost a bit more.
Current Thoughts:

And with Fairmont, I'm pretty sure that only Raked with Natural Mortar is standard for Austral Bricks. I am meeting the colour girl again today, so hopefully we'll get something sorted today.

I didn't think choosing bricks and colours would be so hard!
New Selections:

Brick: Austral Bricks Merlot
Mortar: Natural, Raked
Roof: Colorbond Shale Grey
Panel Lift/Roller Door/Front Door: Windspray
Fascias/Gutters/Downpipes/Barge Boards: Monument
Windows/Sliding Doors: Black

Apologies oneJohn for not making use of your wonderful modelling skills.
I do appreciate the time you had put into making them up for me! It was good to visualise it, but unfortunately, I don't think they would have looked as good in real life.
Hi S7iCkSt3R, I was wondering what you used to visualise the colours for the bricks/roof etc. Im not sure what colours we want and im looking for a program or visual tool so that i can see them together. Thanks. Btw I really like the colours that you have selected.
Hi Lana,

Thanks, I'm really glad I changed my mind about the Grange bricks. It really depends on the colour scheme you pick for that brick, I've seen some fantastic looking houses with it and I've also seen some truly awful ones and I'm not willing to take the chance.

I just used Microsoft Paint and downloaded the colours off Austral Bricks and Colorbond's websites to visualise the colours. This gives a good idea on how the colours go together, but be aware that they are often much different in real life.

I recommend asking the brick company for a list of houses in your area which have the bricks you have in mind to get a better picture and some ideas
I've been overseas for a month and was crazy busy at work the few weeks leading up, so haven't had a chance to update this thread.

However, Update!!!:
Selections happened on 12 Aug 2015 at both Direct Interiors (tapware, bathrooms, sinks, robes, doors, paint, tiles) and Supreme Kitchens (Benches, Vanities, Cupboards, Linen).

Direct Interiors:
I selected a white undulating pattern tile for bathrooms which was standard.
White with grey streaks through it for the bathroom and laundry floors - will be doing tiling and carpets for the main house after handover, so haven't thought too much about them yet.
White tiles for splashbacks in kitchen and laundry.
Added shelving, double hangers and drawers to both robes.
Upgraded external door, internal doors and handles
Upgraded taps for kitchen and laundry sinks to be vegie sprayers (so you can pull them out)
Upgraded kitchen sink to be a double bowl
Upgraded oven
Upgraded to double towel rail in main bathroom
Included bathroom bonus upgrades: 2m tiling in bathrooms, upgraded vanity basins - however the upgraded version doesn't fit in the ensuite so i have to live with the standard, semiframeless shower, ceramic toilets with soft closing seats, upgraded taps

Supreme Kitchens:
Laminex Polar White for all cabinetry doors - upgraded to silk finish for kitchen only
Laminex Ebony Marble for Laundry and Bathroom Vanity bench tops
Upgraded kitchen bench top to SMARTSTONE - NERO GALASSIA 20MM
Upgraded pantry shelves to deeper depth
Added double rails, shelving and drawers to walk in robe
Added 1 set of pot drawers to kitchen
Added drawers under both vanities, open shelving on one side of the main vanity

Final Builders interview was 19 Aug 2015

Confirmation of slab being poured 17 Sept 2015

Anticipated Finish Date: 07 Apr 2016
I had a look at the slab on the weekend the day after I got back from my trip and it looks great!
Although, the side of the house where i was planning to have my entertaining area, including an outdoor tv point (behind the garage between side of the house and boundary fence), looks way smaller than I anticipated - and that's without the walls and fencing up! - I'll have to measure this weekend to make sure there is actually 2.9m clearance because it feels way smaller.
That's good news about the slab going in. That makes it feel that something is really starting. I'm finding that with our place, now that the frames are going up, the yard is starting to feel a bit bigger, so hopefully that area will feel a bit bigger for you too, once the walls start going up.
Hey S7iCkSt3R, hows your build going? havnt seen an update on ur progress for a while?
Hi Damien/Lanni,

Thanks for the interest.

Still at slab stage. I've had the timber as well as bricks delivered and there's a port-a-potty out the front, but no progress for like 6 weeks now, so they should be doing the frames soon...

Just had a quick squizz on your thread, looks good. My mate built a Vogue and I think it's a great layout for the amount of space it uses, and you guys have an alfresco! I will be putting a veranda up at some point in the future for my house, since I want it along the side of the house I couldn't get it built as an alfresco.

The upgraded doors are a killer, aren't they? I upgraded to the front door and it was like $500 just to have a little bit of glass in them. Seems pretty outrageous.

Oh well.
Wow, you must have the patience of a saint! Hopefully once the frame starts going up things will move quick for you.
Related
12/02/2024
Suggestions whether to build my granny flat first or house?

Building A New House

hi guys. Please be nice. First time home builder in Qld. I would like some feedback please on whether I should build my granny flat first before my main house at the…

21/05/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Congrats. Will be watching this progress and interested to see how you go with summit.

12/05/2024
First Avenue Homes Experience

General Discussion

So it seems like they just take on a lot of projects to get the cashflow for their own builds. COULDN'T AGREE MORE

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum