Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

KDR Under the Flight Path - Dennis Family Homes (Hawkesdale)

Page 2 of 14
Following...., like the color selections.

We decided against putting in the shower downstairs and reducing the size of the laundry
which we may regret down the track. The added flexibility is definitely a plus.

Goodluck
rondy
Tender yesterday.

Site costs estimated at $42K. We'd budgeted for $40K, so it was relatively close. Hopefully they won't need to use the provisional $7K traffic management or the crane. Also includes $2.3K for a acoustic survey as we're building under the flight path.

We removed the internal door between the kitchen & entry hall as they said it would disrupt airflow. Also the door when opened blocked the under stair storage door.

They had to move bedroom 3 & bedroom 4 windows to the back of the house due to privacy for our neighbours. Happy with this. Will have to make sure they have good blinds for summer though as they now face west.

The TV room & bedroom 2 require translucent glass for privacy. Bedroom 2 will be the spare room so it doesn't really matter. Got to make the neighbours happy.

Screening on the side fences prior to occupancy certificate to allow for privacy in the neighbours backyards.

Also required to go to town planning as we are building in an area which has a Melbourne airport overlay. We thought Henley covered this in their permits. Disappointed we have to organise this.

Hi Rondy, thanks for this information, proves very useful for us as well. They will ask us also to do similar alterations to our plan as well so we will be more prepared. May I ask you why the site costs were budgeted for 40K, any particular reason for that?
We asked our sales consultant for a guide for our area. She looked into past builds & gave us a range between $20K & $40K. We decided to budget for the higher amount to be safe.

Izzyb
PhoenixAlessi
Following! You have chosen the same external colours as us - I love them

We are hoping to start building our Sahara Belle in the next few months.

I look forward to your updates!

that's good news Phoenix! So everything's sorted out now?

Building the Sahara Q3 with Henley

Not quite but we are changing our plans to simplify things with the bank. Basically selling up instead of making this house an investment!

I love your internal colours - also almost identical to ours!! Except the flooring. I look forward to seeing it all come together!

PhoenixAlessi
Izzyb
PhoenixAlessi
Following! You have chosen the same external colours as us - I love them

We are hoping to start building our Sahara Belle in the next few months.

I look forward to your updates!

that's good news Phoenix! So everything's sorted out now?

Building the Sahara Q3 with Henley

Not quite but we are changing our plans to simplify things with the bank. Basically selling up instead of making this house an investment!

I love your internal colours - also almost identical to ours!! Except the flooring. I look forward to seeing it all come together!

Thanks Phoenix! Be sure to let me know of your thread as soon as you start it!
Just received a quote for the installation of our underground electricity pit. $3,350.16 for 4 metres of cable. It's a joke really, but you can't build with Henley without the pit.

rondy
Just received a quote for the installation of our underground electricity pit. $3,350.16 for 4 metres of cable. It's a joke really, but you can't build with Henley without the pit.

That's pricey, and making me feel nervous... I have to take my power, phone and internet under a road... Haven't got quotes yet, but tipping $10k if 4m is costing you $3.3k

gee that's a lot. Is that for 3 phase power?
We got single phase and it didn't cost anything.
Also Im not 100% sure if you have to have a power pit, I think you have to cover the cost of a generator for the build though if you don't. That's what it said in our provisional costs anyway.
The underground power is better though, no overhead cables and it looks much neater.
jessicana10
gee that's a lot. Is that for 3 phase power?
We got single phase and it didn't cost anything.
Also Im not 100% sure if you have to have a power pit, I think you have to cover the cost of a generator for the build though if you don't. That's what it said in our provisional costs anyway.
The underground power is better though, no overhead cables and it looks much neater.

I don't think it's got 3 phase. My husband was going to query the Jemena today. We have a power pole in the nature strip.

We were told by henley from the get go that they will not connect to overhead power & a pit must be installed...

Our demolition has started. Yeah!

No luck. We can't get any further info on the pit cost. If we want it/need it we have to pay.

Demolition complete!

New fencing on both sides in the back sections.

Still waiting on town planning from Melbourne Airport, should hear by the end of the month.

Contract & Electrical appointments booked in for 17/6/15.

Finally things are starting to happen...

We've received our planning permit. Yeh!

Our build has to comply with Section 3 AS 2021-2000, Acoustics - Aircraft Noise Intrusion. Don't know what that means yet! A next door neighbor was required to get double glazed windows 10 years ago, but don't know anymore.

Henley have completed the acoustic survey as well, but we won't find out the results of this until contract. Contract is 17/9, so not far away.

Still waiting for results of 2nd soil test.

We had our electrical appointment today. The girl was very helpful. It's easy to add $$$ with extra power points & data points. I wanted pendant lights over the kitchen bench, but my husband wanted down lights. He won! I'm still having a pendant over the stairs though...

We then had a quick look in Cosham again, knowing that we weren't signing contracts today. We've decided to change all our cabinetry to White laminex with a Silk finish. After reading a thread about two tone kitchens & whether they'd date, we decided to go with the safe option.

Contracts have been delayed as they're still estimating the requirements to meet the acoustic survey. Hopefully we'll have this in the next couple of days. Admin said to re check our preliminary contract & send through any changes by Sunday so we won't have to pay a variation fee.

After contract signing she said approx 4 weeks to start date.

rondy
We had our electrical appointment today. The girl was very helpful. It's easy to add $$$ with extra power points & data points. I wanted pendant lights over the kitchen bench, but my husband wanted down lights. He won! I'm still having a pendant over the stairs though...

We then had a quick look in Cosham again, knowing that we weren't signing contracts today. We've decided to change all our cabinetry to White laminex with a Silk finish. After reading a thread about two tone kitchens & whether they'd date, we decided to go with the safe option.

Contracts have been delayed as they're still estimating the requirements to meet the acoustic survey. Hopefully we'll have this in the next couple of days. Admin said to re check our preliminary contract & send through any changes by Sunday so we won't have to pay a variation fee.

Hi rondy, I was wondering what forum you were looking at about the two tone kitchens? As this is what we are currently thinking of doing.
Thanks
darrenedwards
rondy

Hi rondy, I was wondering what forum you were looking at about the two tone kitchens? As this is what we are currently thinking of doing.
Thanks

The thread was titled 'Two Tone kitchens'. I just found it on the Tapatalk feed on my phone. I just posted on the thread if you can find it that way. Not sure that it had much info, it just made us think a little more about the future house.

Hopefully the acoustic fees aren't too much.
How close are you to the airport? Are you in a direct flight path?

I'd be guessing they'll upgrade insulation, window glazing and add acoustic plaster. Not sure how similar it'll be to energy rating requirements it'd end up in terms of pricing, but we had to fork out a bit over $2k for double glazed windows and all upgraded insulation.
snyde
Hopefully the acoustic fees aren't too much.
How close are you to the airport? Are you in a direct flight path?

I'd be guessing they'll upgrade insulation, window glazing and add acoustic plaster. Not sure how similar it'll be to energy rating requirements it'd end up in terms of pricing, but we had to fork out a bit over $2k for double glazed windows and all upgraded insulation.

We're on the edge of the flight path (4km from the airport). We can see the planes come in low. We are required to have:
Plaster - either 13mm or 16mm depending on location
Sarking - 18mm plywood sarking
Roof insulation - min 100mm acoustic insulation
Wall insulation - min 75mm acoustic insulation

We were already having double glazed windows ($7K), however they're having trouble finding the windows recommended in the acoustic report below.

They put in a provisional amount of $13k to cover the acoustics. Apparently our double glazing will be reduced when they finally work out the costs. We said we wouldn't sign contract until they could provide actual costs.

We're in an old rental at the moment, without all these things & the sound is not that bad!

Very disappointed at the moment!

Received an email this morning to say Henley are still waiting for pricing for our acoustic grade windows & won't have it until the end of next week. That's two weeks after we were supposed to sign our contracts.

The acoustic report was dated 11th August. Obviously they just put it in the too hard basket...

Just read your other thread Rondy... what a bugger about the acoustic costs, that's really disappointing
. Hopefully you can come up with a solution that suits you.
Related
21/09/2023
KDR - Looking for feedback on Kialla Homes

Building A New House

Hi, I am looking into doing a KDR in Melbourne and am contemplating using Kialla Homes. I am looking for feedback on them from others who have built with them.

11/08/2023
Path around drop edge beam

Paving & Concreting

Hello everyone, After some suggestions and ideas about how to put a concrete path around the drop edge beam area on our new build. We are required to have a concrete path…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum