Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Dave & Leonie building HGWA Metropolitan at Mandurah

Page 2 of 2
Finally something came my way. The Balcony Tiles were not HGWADV and they slugged me 1,460.00. I only thought about this when I was posting these details in this forum and notice they claimed these tiles to be oversize 300x300 in lieu of 200x200 for balcony flooring and that they we Rectified. In fact the are Vitrified Porcelain tile and NOT rectified. I has to Google it to understand myself => "Vitrified tiles may allow for a “full body” tile, which means that the design is not merely on the surface of the tile, but runs throughout the entire body. The advantage of this is that the tiles become incredibly strong and stain resistant".

So they are not rectified, great sent email to Lana and J indicating their error. got credit back of $930.00. HUGE so the porcelain tile and over size now only cost $530 for 4m x5m with 300 high shirting oppose to the 200 skirting.
Following your post daveb. How is everything going now?
I am due for my tile and laminate meeting and I most definitely do not want their Della Vita tiles! I think this is HGWA's biggest downfall in my opinion!
WE HAVE STARTED
Slab down 21 June 2015
External soak-wells and plumbing 26 June 2015

Hey guys, following your post as also building Metropolitan - finally finished pre-start!

How's your build coming along - slab's been down for a while now, so I hope they're making good progress!

Mike
Been a while since last post - Lat top dead after upgrade to WIN10, Wife in hospital, wife home 6 weeks of work, Car accident, Latpot may be ready next week...

Progress

July/August. Bricks on site brickies started

Ground Floor finished Mid August

September Iron Work going in

Mid October 2nd level started

Balcony (over garage) view
Sounds like you've had a tough time recently. On the plus, the house is looking good and watching the sunsets from the comfort of your balcony will be worth the wait...
Good to see the house is coming up well. Hope you are happy with the built.

Have you had any more issues with them again after initial hiccups?

Came across this building inspection company to carry out building staged inspections. I chose Houspect, as they claim to have done in excess of fifty thousand quality inspection reports over the past 20 years.
Houspect is fully insured with appropriate cover for Professional Indemnity and Public Liability.
I was too late for several inspections but their report was helpful in dealing with issues i was unsure if it was right or not? Below is a summary of what they do. I engaged them for stage 3 for the upper floor as I already was having concerns.

1. Slab Down Inspections
Inspect The slab has been poured and has had adequate time to dry
• Slab size is correct dimensions
• Step downs are in correct locations
• Slab finish is acceptable
• Plumbing is in the right spot
• We inspect any cracks to determine if they are significant
• There is an acceptable level of workmanship
• The completed work is in accordance with the building plans and follows Australian Standards
What we need Copy of the latest A3 plans , structural (Engineers) drawings and specifications at least 4 days prior to inspection Cost $365* for each level required

2. Brickwork Complete Inspections
Inspect The brickwork is complete and ready for the house structure
• There is an acceptable level of bricklaying workmanship
• Brickwork is correct height
• Correct bricks have been used
• Walls are where they are supposed to be
• Windows and doors are in approximately the right location / height
• Tie down straps are anchored correctly; wire ties are correct
• Completed work is in accordance with the building plans and follows Australian Standards
What we need Copy of the latest A3 plans , structural (Engineers) drawings and specifications at least 4 days prior to inspection Cost $375* for each level required

3. Roof on Inspections
Inspect The roof has been installed, the beams are up and the roof covering installed, prior to the interior ceiling being installed.
• The right materials have been used
• Materials have been fixed correctly as per the manufacturer's instructions
• Check the roof frame for conformance with building plans
• Tie down straps are installed correctly and are adequate
• Roof beams are installed correctly and are properly supported
• Everything is in accordance with the plans and follows Australian Standards
What we need Copy of the latest A3 plans , structural (Engineers) drawings and specifications at least 4 days prior to inspection
Cost $375*

4. Lock-up Inspections
Inspect When the property is at lock up stage, services are installed, and after waterproofing to the wet areas has been completed but before tiling commences. Importantly prior to any insulation, walls, or ceiling coverings being installed
• All works are in accordance with the plans and follow Australian Standards
• Services (plumbing, electrical, gas, etc) are properly located and installed to an appropriate standard
• All major structural components are in place and installed in accordance with building plans
• Frames, roof, etc are ready for insulation
• Building works are prepped for final installation of finishing surface materials
What we need Copy of the latest A3 plans , structural (Engineers) drawings and specifications at least 4 days prior to inspection
Cost $395*

5. Practical Completion or Handover Inspections
Inspect Practical completion should represent the point when both you and the builder agree that:
• The construction has been completed in accordance with the plans and contractual obligations, except for any defects which may be identified during the PCI
• There are no outstanding works to be undertaken
• The property is suitable to be inhabited
• All of the services (water, power, sewage) have been connected and are functional
• The property has been cleaned and is in the standard that the builder proposes to hand over control of the property to you
• We check and identify Trades or components that have not been installed/completed or is not correctly installed
• There is an acceptable level of workmanship in completed work.
• Front elevation and general layout is in accordance with the plans
• Workmanship follows Building Code of Australia and Australian Standards.
• Internal walls, ceilings, floors, doors, cabinets, windows
• Scratches to window glass, cabinet tops, mirrors, shower screens, ceramic tiles, bath, spa bath, cisterns, pans, toilet seats, cupboard doors, sinks
• Open and shut all doors and windows
• Open and shut all cabinet doors and drawers
• Drainage to basins and basin overflows and WCs
• Make sure Hot Water System heats, run hot and cold water to all points, check water flow
• Check operation of hot plate, oven (does it turn on), rangehood (paper test on suction), garage door up and down
• External - walls, gutters, fascias, eaves, paving, windows and fly screens, Alfresco, downpipe spacing, Garage or carport, driveway, crossover and verge
• Roof – structural frame, insulation extent and thickness, back blocking of ceilings, sanitary ventilation requirements, collar ties, strutting and underpurlins, sarking.
• Any specific concerns can be reviewed and checked against plans and contract
What we need Copy of the latest A3 plans , structural (Engineers) drawings and specifications at least 4 days prior to inspection Cost $695*
That scope covers pretty much every thing in the house isn't it?

I shall also look for this step once the construction is started, now is scheduling phase.

Love to see some pictures of the house if you have

Issues that arrived from Houspect report. However several items were in progress of being rectified by new site supervisor.
1.Cleats from the Steel Beams to LVLs
Steel cleats have not been used across living area to tie the LVL beams to the steel universal beam (UB).
Cleats have not been used to the balcony area where LVLs are at right angles to the steel beams. The LVL base has been cut out to accommodate the ceiling joists.
These sections of the roof are not to Australian Standard 1684 and should be rectified.
IN PROGRESS DURING REPORT OF BEING REPAIRED. NOTE THIS IS WHEN THE STEEL AND TIMBER JOIN NEEDS TO BE FIXED WITH BRACKETS WELDED TO STEEL AND BOLT TIMBER TO BRACKET..

2. Downpipes
Down pipe is not connected to gutter at the balcony pier. There was a small 50mm pipe being used instead.
PENDING REPAIRS. THIS WAS A CONTENTIOUS ISSUE AS WE WERE FORCED TO CHANGE BALCONY DESIGN TOO ACCOMMODATE DOWN PIPE. THOUGH THE LEAST THEY COULD DO IS TO DO IT PROPERLY. NOTE THIS IS THE ONLY DOWNPIPE ACROSS THE FRONT OF THE HOME.

3. Holding down rods
Rod not connected to the beam or hip at the north pier to balcony.
South rod welded to steel beam.
IN PROGRESS DURING REPORT OF BEING REPAIRED. MOST CONCERNED AS WITH COASTAL AREA WAS WORRIED ABOUT STRONG WINDS. YOU MAY BE ABLE TO MAKE OUT THE STEEL ROD NOT FIXED TO THE TIMBER.

4. Waste Pipes
Kitchenette waste pipe runs up at the duct in the garage instead of down. It is out of level by 10mm the wrong way. The top of the face brick duct should be cut back to accommodate the fall or bulkhead constructed.
IDENTIFIED FROM REPORT AND HGWA UNDERTOOK REPAIRS. WE EVEN MANAGED TO SHORTEN ROUTE AS IT WENT THRU THE THEATRE TO THE GARAGE THEN BACK TO PLUMBING DUCT, BASICALLY A HUGE U SHAPE ROUTE. WE HAVE A DROP CEILING 31C TO 28C THUS ALLOWING IT TO DROP 2 COURSES AND GO INTO PLUMBING DUCT DIRECTLY.

Were you happy with Houspect? We are looking to engage a building inspector for our build. We wanted it to be checked at every stage but have heard mixed reviews about Houspect?
loulou1411
Were you happy with Houspect? We are looking to engage a building inspector for our build. We wanted it to be checked at every stage but have heard mixed reviews about Houspect?

Hi LouLou,

I tried to use BuildRight as I used them before with the PropertyClub houses. But John was unable or too busy (or too far) to do inspection. He recommended " You could try Housespect or the Archicentre. They may be able to assist."

Either way they were able to find some errors or deficiencies in the build. HGWA were able to carry out repairs but still waiting on the Gutter to drainpipe issue. HGWA supervisor had second roof plumber claim that the two down pipes on side of house should be able to handle water across front of house! So why did they insist design change if it wasn't needed?
Scaffold down despite some outstanding repairs identified by Housespect.

hope to get some more photos soon when they build the ground floor roof.
Looking good!!
Hi Dave. Thanks for the feedback. Am choosing between 2 at the moment Houspect and Aztec Building.
Hi Dave,

Love to see your house latest pictures if you have...

Related
15/06/2023
Missing Building Wrap / Insulation

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hey guys building a new place through a volume builder and just wondering if i should complain to the site supervisor as we just had plasterboard installed. Looks like…

3/08/2023
Talking to tradies without entering the building site

Building A New House

Elvis has left the building... The site supervisor quit after 2 month on the project. I guess he was just instructed to bark at people, but didn't like when he was…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum