Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

First build, Redink

Page 2 of 4
Hi chateau,

Welcome to forums. Another Redinker here. Feel free to browse through my thread (link at the bottom of this post). Happy to answer any questions you may have.

chateau
How do I add pictures?

A few people have asked this question and I have a response ready to go. Forgive me for the copy/paste job.

First of all, check this thread; viewtopic.php?f=70&t=1272

But if you can't be bothered with that, here is what I do;

Step 1 - Sign up to an image hosting website. I use photobucket.
Step 2 - Uploads your photos in the same way as you would on facebook back in the day. Navigate to the photo on your computer and click upload!
Step 3 - Copy/paste links. On photobucket these will be on the righthand side of your photo. Copy the [img] code to your clipboard, then paste into your homeone post. Ta-da!

Photobucket has a smartphone App also, which can make the process super easy if the photos are on your phone.

There's other ways too including taptalk, dropbox etc.

chateau
Waterfall ends in the kitchen

Can't wait for prestart so we can have all the hard decisions made and can sit down and relax.

Waterfall ends were $2100 from memory (for both sides, 20mm thickness).

mmm I thought prestart would be the end of the stress too, but it's not really. Well, I found that I know so much more about the building process now than I did back in November when I did prestart. You always think of things to change, things you can do better.
It's part of the fun though, not trying to scare you!
http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/chate ... %20Uploads
Thanks Raptor,

That should work if anyone wants to see my plan
Aahh, the Chateau in all it's perfection. You are so lucky to be able to build it as it was designed to be. It is such a great house.
Thanks Kellydoug, yes we are very happy with it, we love when you first walk in it is so open and long, wish we could of had a workshop off the garrage like yours, maybe next time lol
Does anyone have a house pic using the crocodile colour rendor?
chateau
Thanks Kellydoug, yes we are very happy with it, we love when you first walk in it is so open and long, wish we could of had a workshop off the garrage like yours, maybe next time lol

Haha, we certainly did change it up, that's for sure. We think it will be perfect for the two of us
Does it cost more to have the woodlook garage door?
Wow! Look at the size of that WIR and WIP. Very nice.

chateau
Does it cost more to have the woodlook garage door?

Yes, I upgraded my garage door to the Daintree Collection (The Franklin in Cedar) for $650
I people hope everyone build is going well,

But I have another question
Does redink offer any other light choice other than down lights and standard?
Hey Chateau,
When I signed up they had a lighting promotion on, which included oyster light fittings (standard batten globes, just with the glass cover) and some led garage/wall light fittings rather than standard battens as well as some led down lights. So they do have at least some light fittings available, but From what i saw in the prestart showroom theyre pretty basic. i'd guess that for anything fancier they'd cost it if you supplied the details, but you'd be better off getting a sparky in after handover.

An example of some prices for you: 12 led down lights $1490, 1 led downlight at existing light $80, 1 led light not on existing $147; led light under overhead cupboards $138; external light batten point $80; internal ceiling batten light $65; dimmer switch $105; two way switch $45; external led light wall fitting $255
Just looked at your plan - wow! the WIR & WIP are to die for!!
chateau
So far the list of changes we hope to make at prestart are,

Under mount kitchen sink,
Change the vinyl sliders to glass (linen)
Pots and pan draws for kitchen
15 extra power points, 2 for outside
Lights to the front pillars
Tile alfresco 1, instead of pave
Nib wall in shower ensuit
Change towel rails
Mitered tiles to bathrooms
Make all sliding robes 28c high instead of the std 24c
Nbn package (is this needed)?

Hopefully the list doesn't get to much longer!!

Welcome chateau. Sorry, only just saw your thread. Your house looks great! I know the Hamlin well. It's where we signed up w RI so had lots of meetings with our sales rep there. It's a very cool layout. Where are you building? Apologies if you've already mentioned that and I missed it. You've probably already gotten answers to all your questions but here goes just in case:
Under mount kitchen sink- depends which one. We paid $530 for the Clark Monaco double bowl undermount. I think it may be the least expensive one, but not positive. The Fusion double bowl is about twice that amount!

Change the vinyl sliders to glass (linen)- $387 for our laundry linen door. Looks similar size to yours.

Pots and pan draws for kitchen- $193 per pot drawer

15 extra power points, 2 for outside- $65 per internal double GPO; $115 per external waterproof GPO; $55 per single internal GPO

Lights to the front pillars- We had a light pkg that included two, but we added a third and it was $255. That's for the Astra Wall Light. Not sure what the other options may be. You may be best off just having conduits put in where you want them and having a sparky install after handover.

Tile alfresco 1, instead of pave- If you want to tile the alfresco then RI will pour grano in lieu of pavers and you can have it tiled yourself after handover. RI told us they won't lay tile (inside or out) that you've purchased yourself. I guess if you buy tile through them then they'd do it, but prob A LOT more expensive to do it that way.

Nib wall in shower ensuite- Not sure we don't have one. We did add nib wall between main shower and vanity and it was $385

Change towel rails- not sure, we kept standard

Mitered tiles to bathrooms- $480 for mitred tiles to all wet areas

Make all sliding robes 28c high instead of the std 24c- don't know. Didn't even realize our robes were only 24c

Nbn package (is this needed)?- Yes, you probably do. The std package includes 1 C1, 2 D1's and an NBN Conduit. The NBN pkg they offer is $1200 and it gets you
- 2 x D1 or 1 x D2 (Phone + Internet Connection)
- 2 x C1D1 (TV + Smart TV or Network Connection)
- NBN Enclosure
- NBN Conduit
- Digital cable to roofspace for future Antenna
I looked into Intelligent Homes and other options and I thought RI's pkg was the most cost effective. An extra TV point is $100

I think you also asked about extra bathroom tiling. That all depends on what tile you choose, they can vary widely. Also frustrating because you'll pick out your tiles with the Interior Designer (HUGELY helpful!) but she won't know the pricing on anything. She knew the store's pricing differences, but you won't actually know how much you've gone over (if you have) on your tiling allowance until prestart when they give you the costs.

Ok, I've rambled long enough. Any more questions feel free to ask. Good luck!
Hi Chateau, do you have your prestart date yet?
After living in our house for about 9 months, if I had the choice I'd actually have an above mount sink rather then the undermount. I'd still not bother with the draining board, I just put the draining rack on a plastic tray so when we have people over we have more bench space.

But the seal around the undermount already looks a bit average. Most over the undercounts have an over mount option without the draining area.
Hi redinkers,

Thanks for all the info everyone it is being really helpful,

kellydoug sadly no prestart date yet, how long does it normally take from sign up?

fmac I understand what your saying about the sink but think I will still go for it, its one of those times when, you know you should go for the practical option but you can't help but dream and opt for the least practical choice
Hi Chateau, we signed up with Redink in June 2013, but our land was untitled.
Land titled in early Jan this year, and we got our prestart date not long after that. Our prestart was Jan 28th.
Hi Chateau,
Another red inker here. We also signed up with them in June and are waiting on Pre-start so it will be good to watch your progress as we're on a similar timeline.
We are building a version of the Ashby out in Lower Chittering.

Do you have an idea of when your pre start will be?

Nikki
We signed up in September, got titles in Dec. I'm pretty sure our file sat on someone's desk for about 6 weeks, then they got going end January. Looks like the packet we got in the mail with our addenda and plans, etc and letter saying to contact them to book prestart was dated 8 April. Do you have titles yet? Have a you received an email or call from the Client Advocate yet saying your file is in the office, here's your log in for selection page, etc?
We've got our client advocate and selection page. Waiting in the plans and addenda which are with the drafters. They've given us an approximate date of being ready to book pre start at the end of Aug.
Related
12/02/2024
Suggestions whether to build my granny flat first or house?

Building A New House

hi guys. Please be nice. First time home builder in Qld. I would like some feedback please on whether I should build my granny flat first before my main house at the…

21/05/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Congrats. Will be watching this progress and interested to see how you go with summit.

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum