Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

The Story of Stormy's Castle. *Loooooong overdue update*

Page 2 of 92
to_do_list
OK I'm no expert on color boards and "interior designology" but I really like what you've selected is very pleasing to my eye.....has a nice flow.

Mind you if it's pleasing to my eye maybe that's a reason to change.....

Thanks Mike! We are happy with our general flow colours...nice and warm and neutral! I just have a problem with the Laminex stipple cocoa cupboards and back of the island bench clashing with the spotted gum flooring. I am seriously considering a white 2 pac kitchen (Mum has one), and adding the warm colour with a nice taupy/mushroomy/milk chocolatey glass splashback. The stipple cocoa will look great as the vanities and laundry cupboard as it will be next to tiles, not honey coloured floorboards. Until I see it somewhere, I can't make the decision.

I had also thought of using Laminex polar white in the Diamond Gloss finish for the kitchen cupboards, but at the Laminex display at Cosham they say it can only be used as benchtops. Anyone have any idea why??

Anyway, site survey has been booked for Monday morning!!
Stormy
The stipple cocoa will look great as the vanities and laundry cupboard as it will be next to tiles, not honey coloured floorboards. Until I see it somewhere, I can't make the decision.

I have to agree with you Stormy. We are having the same floorboards and have chosen silver and black cupboards in fear that the other colours would clash with the spotted gum.

Although there are so many colours in spotted gum you would be hard not to find something that matches!!
Stormy, you'll probably hate me, but in the interior colours pic you had 2 silkwood boards there, one being spotted gum, (which i love and we are going with) but there was another one to the RHS of the pic....what colour is that?

Is that another piece of spotted gum, only darker?
I actually liked that colour better with your selection than the spotted gum piece on the LHS?

Sorry!!!
Stormy
I am seriously considering a white 2 pac kitchen (Mum has one), and adding the warm colour with a nice taupy/mushroomy/milk chocolatey glass splashback.

That's a great choice for your splashback.

Congratulations on your site start.

**Phoenix**

Is that another piece of spotted gum, only darker?
I actually liked that colour better with your selection than the spotted gum piece on the LHS?

I like the darker one with your selections as well.
LOL....so sorry Stormy...i've started something here you might not like....

But i think that the darker colour is more suited to the stipple seal too!
LOL!!! It's just another sample strip of spotted gum! Every small sample I see seems to be a different colour! It is very similar to the floorboards we have in our place now, which is why I love it...it varies a lot!

What alerted me to the clash was looking in a flooring shop they had a large sample on the floor, which I held up the stipple cocoa to and went 'blurk'!!! It looked totally wrong! I know it is hard to get the full picture with such a tiny Laminex sample , but it was enough to get me worried!!!

I love all the mocha/light chocolate colours and they look great with the 'Urban cloud' floor tiles in the bathrooms, but just not predominantly honey floors!

I think I'll stick to the white kitchen, pay more and not regret it later

Stipple seal is a lovely colour too, P, but I think it is just a tad too grey for the 'feel' I am after! I also love Mushroom Linea, but that just opens up a can of worms!

Many thanks for all of your input and opinions! It's very much appreciated!
LOL, i thought i'd ask, just in case???

Just remember that if you are using Boral Silkwood spotted gum, double plank looks different to single plank too. We originally bought dbl but changed it to single as we didn't like the short board... The longer boards make it feel a little more luxurious and there is less colour variation per board.

PS... I think white would look stunning by the way!!
That's true P, and we have already decided on the single plank, makes it look like a 'real' floor which is what we are used to!

For those who aren't aware of the colours, here are a few pics! (of course keeping in mind it's never a 'true' colour due to different colour spaces, monitors etc
)

Stipple Cocoa:

Spotted Gum:

Stipple Cocoa in a bathroom with tiles not floorboards!
stormy

I think stipple cocoa will look terrific with the floorboards.

we took several laminex samples in to the flooring place and laid it out on the wood and there wasn't much that didn't match. Although we are going for the solid wood so I'm not sure if there is much difference.

don't forget the floors are a natural looking product and most chocolate, latte, honey, coffee colours will look perfectly fine against the timber.

But its up to you. I just think the stipple cocoa looks terrific IMO.
another addition to the last post

Spotted gum is meant to have a lot of grey/green in it so if you are going for a grey based laminex it should be fine.
This is one of the reasons I like timber floors, the variation and colours that you get from it. My preference would be a white kitchen with a timber floor, and if you like some additional colours added then incorporate these in the splashback and or bench top.
Thanks DeeElle and Kiwi! I'm still very much leaning towards the gloss white kitchen as it won't date as quickly as the Stipple Cocoa. The Stipple Cocoa is more of a brown shade than grey, just looks different on monitors than the sample piece!

Anyway, too tired to make any sort of decision tonight

Just for the record, we were due to have the contour survey done this morning. I assume it happened, but I was out all morning
. Roll on the next few weeks and we can hopefully apply for the loan, have our colour appointment and get this project moving!!
Stormy
I'm still very much leaning towards the gloss white kitchen as it won't date as quickly as the Stipple Cocoa. The Stipple Cocoa is more of a brown shade than grey, just looks different on monitors than the sample piece!

I have stipple cocoa in the old house in the study - I think it has a hint of purple - taupe. very nice colour.
Do you have any pics, Paula? It would be nice to see it on a larger scale in another room (other than bathroom!)
Here are some that I have on file, maybe not the best representation..

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii130/johnspj_photos/RIMG0021.jpg http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii130/johnspj_photos/RIMG0020.jpg
Thanks for the pics Paula!

I've pretty much made up my mind on a white 2 pac kitchen (and I'm sure I will faint at the price later...), and may change the Caesarstone colour , but I will most certainly stick to the Stipple Cocoa and CS Ice Snow for the bathrooms!

Some more news today, I talked to our appointed pre site Customer Service Administrator today, and have booked the colour appointment for 25th June, and the tender appointment for 7th July. Oh my golly gosh!!!!!

I have the results of the soil test and contour survey too. Sandy soils with poor drainage (as I already knew), and we will get an M class strengthened slab. The land falls at about 1m across the property from right to left, and retaining walls may be necessary on the fill side where the garage will be along the boundary. Time will tell...
Having just read my last post (above), I am now having a laminex 'Alabaster' 2 pac kitchen!! (I'm a libran and that's my excuse for changing my mind!!!). It blends in beautifully with the CS 'Ice Snow', the Spotted Gum flooring and the 'Nomadic Ivory" paint. It is almost white...but not quite, but will still be a lighter contrast to the main paint work. At this stage, the glass splashback is 'Alecon Lace', the same as Phoenix's. (Everything else was either too dark, or too light!)

I'm actually thinking of having it in the bathrooms as well, instead of the 'Stipple Cocoa'! What made me change my mind is an 18 month old H3nl3y Majestic which is up for Auction in my area (they are asking over $1,000,000
). I looked through the property, and it is stunningly neutral!! I'm pretty sure the cupboards throughout are 'Antique White' (except the kitchen which is white), which is a little too yellow for me, but absolutely any colour will go with it! It looks amazing! (PM me if you want the auction details, and it's open tomorrow)

I went to Cosham earlier this week and finalised my colour selections before our colour appointment this Wednesday. I'm pretty happy with my choices, but I'll post pics once it is all finalised next Wed.

We went to H3nl3y today to apply for our loan and finalise our electricals (almost $5000 in upgrades!), including a TV point in the alfresco! Have many people done this?

It's all moving nicely...but I still can't show any form of excitement until I've signed the contract!

EDIT: Fix spelling boo boo...doesn't help to post after 3 glasses of red!
I love alabaster as a colour

very classic and elegant
Thanks Bec!

It does look lovely together, and blends in really well with everything else. It's just so hard to imagine it all together in a non existant house! Much more at ease about this colour choice than the Stipple Cocoa..as much as I LOVE the mocha colour, this should look timeless (well, for the next 5 years anyway!).
My Colour Choices:

EXTERIOR

Bricks: Daniel Robertson's Hawthorn Tan Blend.

Mortar: Flush off white.

Roof Tiles: Bristile Classic Single in Gunmetal.

Windows:Merino/Paperbark

Gutters/fascia/downpipes: Paperbark

Garage Door: Caprice (raised rectangular panels) Paperbark

Front Render: Earth Kiss

Front Linear Bands: Paperbark.

Front Door: Gloss Black (signed a disclaimer as H3nl3y won't cover for 'warping')

Rear Cladding: Jasper (blends in with bricks)

Eaves: White.

Driveway: Charcoal grey concrete (done at a later stage).

Meter Box: Paperbark

Rear Garage Door and Laundry Door: Paperbark

_
_

INTERIOR

Wall colour throughout: Nomadic Ivory

Ceiling: Builders White

All Woodwork and Internal Doors: Gloss White.

Staircase Treads/Risers/Newel: Gloss White. (Carpeted)

Staircase Balusters: Black with some decorative ribbon inserts.

Staircase Handrail: Colonial Baltic stain.

KITCHEN

Bench Top: Caesar Stone Ice Snow

Cupboards (o'head and base): Laminex 'Alabaster' in gloss 2 pac. Soft bevelled profile

Kicker: Alabaster Laminex

Splashback: Glass 'Alecon Lace' on Starfire.

Handles: Tekform Square D-Pull brushed chrome.

POWDER/BATHROOM/ENSUITE

Bench Top: Caesar Stone Ice Snow

Cupboards/Kicker: Laminex Alabaster

Floor Tile: Banur Earth (was Urban Earth)

Wall Tile: Roman Gloss white

Handles: Tekform Square D-Pull brushed chrome

LAUNDRY

Bench Top: Laminex Diamond Gloss Pure Mineralstone

Cupboards (under bench and o'head): Laminex Alabaster

Kicker: Laminex Alabaster

Floor Tile: Banur Earth

Wall Tile: Roman Gloss White

Handles: Tekform Square D-Pull brushed Chrome

FLOORING

Hallway/Kitchen/Meals/Family: Boral's Silkwood Spotted Gum

Study/Lounge/Dining/TV/All Bedrooms: Brintons Bell Twist 80/20 Mushroom

~~~~~~~~

Let me know If I've forgotten anything and I'll add it to the list!
Related
28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

28/12/2023
Builder for double story house in Tallawong Schofields NSW

Building A New House

We bought land in Tallawong Schofields NSW size 30m X 12.5m and planning to get double story house build around 350 sqm. We are thinking about having premium inclusions…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum