Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

First Time Build

Page 2 of 2
Thanks everyone for the responses.. It has not been alerting me!!

Hit a bump.. Survey came back and the council has built the boundary wall that runs along the left hand side of our block 0.5m on our side. That has stuffed up our turning circle as well as stolen 16.5sqm of land haha.

Builder has come up with a solution. Have had to rotate garage/storeroom area and push house back. It has added extra area to the garage... We now have a 66sqm garage :0 (partner is stoked haha) Also added on $5000.
. Have emailed council today - waiting to see what they will do. I hope they are willing to compensate for loss of land as block was purchased from the council.

I don't suppose anyone has any idea what they will do? It's a 33m long brick wall...
Oh ... I'm no help but we had a block once that we bought off Homeswest and they had done the same thing. We didn't find out until plans were drawn up so went back to Homeswest and had a chat. At the 11th hour we decided we didn't want a) the block or b) to build in that location anymore so gave Homeswest the opportunity to buy the block back from us covering all our costs. They did.

What I do know though is that councils are like govt departments, plenty of red tape, lots of finger tapping. Keep all communications in writing and if you meet someone on site or make a phone call etc, email that person after with a summary of discussions. That paper trail will help you along the way.

What should happen is council pays you fair market value for the missing land OR council stumps up for the extra $$$ it is costing to alter your plans ... and then submits reworked land plans to Landgate and amends you title, at no cost to you.

If all else fails, you will either have to suck it up or get a lawyer. We ended up with a lawyer
Thanks Marcia, that is helpful.

Fair market value of land lost - even back when purchased would be more than plan changes so ideally that would be best outcome .. I didn't even think about the change to title. Of course.

I don't know how they could have made such a huge error.. 1/2 m. Crazy.

Hopefully it doesn't get to the lawyer stage but we don't want to give that land away. So... Was your lawyer great? :p

See what happens!
elle11
So... Was your lawyer great? :p

I guess he was, he's now a Supreme Court Judge!
Related
30/05/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Soak wells and electrical run in happening this week! Summit has told me they will relocate the laundry plumbing after the walls are completed. I'm actually pretty happy…

6/10/2023
First time building.

General Discussion

Can anyone give me any onfo on New Homes WA? Good or bad, hopefully good just need to know if my choice was good or not? Thanks ❤️

15/08/2023
I often get asked if now is a good time to build

Building A New House

Well thats a relief! The whole family is sick of waiting.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum