Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Modified Acacia Mk II in Beverley SA

Page 2 of 2
Hey guys, anyone else building a narrow home? We're tossing up between a 3.1m galley kitchen with a 2.3m island bench or a 3.1x3.0m L-shape with a 1.7m island bench. Anyone have any thoughts? We really prefer the galley layout but we're worried it might be a bit too small?
Well it's been a long time. House still isn't finished but in the meantime we've changed builder (for reasons I won't disclose in a public forum. Pm if interested), changed the house plan slightly (minor improvements) and learnt A LOT about this industry!

We are having a few minor issues at the moment and I was looking for some advice from any brickies or seasoned home builders. Do you think this is normal for our bricks to be this "varied" ie not coated with colour properly? (Will post photos in a sec). We are using PGH liquorice (yes I know, it doesn't look exactly like the colour we expected either)
I can't work out how to post pics on ipad!
PGH's gallery photo here shows an uneven colour--it's looks lovely to me, provided they lay them in a way so that the variations are mixed up and not a blob of light then a blob of dark.
Thanks Lucinda! Yes out bricks look quite similar to that actually but I was quite concerned with the quality of the brick. It seemed to have badly applied colour to the face of quite a few bricks (s much so that we questioned the quality of the whole batch!). They were patchy and there was a lot of red shoeing through.

PGH said they're fine and that the brickie shouldn't have put one of them up (there was more than one that looked like that) and that we should not have used a raked joint on that type of brick. It should be rolled to attempt to hide the red edges of the brick which contributes to the red I was seeing on the face.

Although I still think there is a quality issue we've asked the brickie to remove the ones that are really bad and switch to a rolled joint. It is looking MUCH better! (Nothing like they're display though)
Good that they are fixing some. In my opinion I would have expected sub-standard materials to be rejected by the builder but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of quality control going on in some builds. I've been in our house for about four months now and it was only the other day I noticed a brick, second up from the slab, that has been laid the wrong way around! I doubt anyone else is going to notice, but considering how much building a house costs us, it should have been picked up and rectified by the people who are supposed to be building experts.
Related
You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum