Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Redink - Lifestyle 300

Page 2 of 2
Wow congratulations on your roof being completed. You are well ahead of us now. Our roof of course incorporates a loft so will take longer to construct.
Hope you get that bit of brickwork sorted.
We live 1427 km from our build so we have an independent building inspector who is doing 6 inspections at various stages of the build. Well worth it as even if we were close to build we may not be able to spot some errors as being inexperienced in the field.
So here is the start of a series of posts detailing the issues we have had with Redink Homes and our build process. I have been meaning to post some blogs for over a year now and each time something else comes up my husband and I discuss how important it is for us to blog although our most recent dealings which have now resulted in involvement of the building commission (the final straw) has finally pushed me into taking action and the time to share with everyone our experience.

First up my main message to people if to BE PRERARED TO BE YOUR OWN SUPERVISOR.
We are lucky that my hubby works in construction and has a pretty good understanding of building standards and quality. We picked up various items along the way in which our supervisor missed as well as catching him out on trying to cut corners and not deliver on what we had discussed. If my husband had not visited site daily, speaking to the tradesman on site and spent hours of timing explaining our concerns to staff we would have an extremely substandard build. I can’t imagine the quality of build for those people with no understanding of the construction industry.
It appears with Redink Homes there are 101 excuses instead of just accepting responsibly for poor workmanship and getting on with improving/fixing our concerns.
During the process of building we were very thankful to the office staff that helped a great deal in getting our concerns addressed (given our supervisor was incompetent) although just wait until inspection/maintenance time and the customer service is a huge disappointment to say the least.

From the sales process the empty promises began. Promises made on the timeline of our build that Redink never intended or cared to meet was just the beginning.

I also want to highlight that although majority of these issues have now been rectified everything had to be done in writing, with continuous follow up and time on our behalf to explain and push our case as far up within the office as we could to get things moving, it seems Redink Homes staff expect us to just accept poor workmanship and service. I would love to know if their supervisors and management would accept such substandard level of workmanship we experienced. So overall not worth the money saved building with Redink Homes.

So here begins the detail of our issues throughout the stressful build with Redink.

1. Drainage pipework for underneath the bath was installed in an incorrect position, therefore needed to be redone which resulted in the concrete slab needing to be broken to remove the pipe and relocate. Not such a huge deal you would think, although if my husband has not checked under the bath before brickwork was completed the hole in the slab was not going to be filled therefore leaving us with issues of voiding the termite protection also allowing easy entry for insects.
2. We had bricks in one of the bedroom walls knocked out by the plumber leaving a gaping hole on the internal wall; these bricks were not replaced after numerous attempts of discussing this with our supervisor. Again my husband attended site when the plasterer happened to be completing the walls to find plasterer covering up the area without replacing brickwork, when asked why he explained this was under direction of our supervisor! Again possibly leaving us with issues down the track if we were to drill the wall to install any fixings causing the plaster to crack and not a solid structure to hold fittings on the wall. After instructing the plasterer to not complete works until the hole was bricked up and consulting with the supervisor again the hole was finally bricked up.
3. Drainage pipe was installed in the incorrect location to kitchen island bench, therefore plumber had to relocate pipework once again smashing concrete to sand level. Issue with this is termite protection again, especially when the hole sits directly under wood cabinetry. Again husband was onsite when he saw the plumber pouring new concrete into the hole in slab. When questioned about termite spray we discovered this has not been redone, therefore again requiring a follow up in office and with the supervisor to be completed.

Post to be continued…
Related
3/08/2023
Talking to tradies without entering the building site

Building A New House

Elvis has left the building... The site supervisor quit after 2 month on the project. I guess he was just instructed to bark at people, but didn't like when he was…

22/06/2023
7 Steps - For a successful building project

Renovation + Home Improvement

Following these simple steps will help you mitigate unwanted costs, have your expectations met and give…

11/07/2023
Building inspection after 90 Day Defect period

Building A New House

you need to understand the breakdown of warranties. 90 warranty is considered as minor defects rectification period where as the longer ones are more major/structural…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum