Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Anybody building at Googong ?

Page 2 of 110
Covalima Hang in there I'm sure your builder will come up with something (who is your builder?), these things are never easy, do you have to do any of the extra fire protection to your house. I have a feeling we wont get the land til August, we are already half way through July.

[quote="Covalima"]We have also bought at Googong but are having a few dramas with a couple of things. Firstly, yep we have sent our plans in (as we've bought in the first release which settles soon) but they've been a bit picky on a few things to do with the design which really overall don't make a huge difference. We have accepted most changes though. One thing I am stuck on is the fact that our block is next to Googong Rd, which unknown to us at the time we purchased is considered a 'frontage'. This means apparantly that that boundary has to be 50% soft garden and the other 50% 1.2m fencing... basically opening up our entire back yard to both security and bushfire risks... not to mention we have dogs and I am not sure how we will manage them without proper fening at least 1.5m high.. if we can't get around this I will have to sell unfortunately. Second problem is our build (which is reasonably priced by any standards) has come in well over the valuation for finance... meaning while we saved well over the 20% deposit needed to avoid MLI we now are going to get stung by it for 10s of thousands... very disspointed. It's because they have nothing to compare to they tell me... anyone else had valuation issues? Having a hard time with this right now and considering packing it in and looking else where
/quote]
Tizzy - Congradulations, you will have a great selection of house to choose from as they are designed for Googong, I'm looking forward to seeing the display village to perhaps get a few ideas before we start our build, manly colours. We had our house design before buying the land so pick a block to suit it. Cheers pagdia

Tizzy
We have just purchased a block of land at Googong North. I'm excited! We've not spoken to any builders yet but will go with someone from the Builders Guild when we start that process.

I look forward to reading all about your experiences and sharing my own. We are first time new home builders so really have no idea what we are doing
Pagdia, it's great you had your house design before the block, sounds easier to find a block to suit rather than what we are doing. It's exciting and scary! Our block has a 3 metre slope. We are leaning towards MJH or Rawson at this stage. Rawson homes say they can split a design for us, so that's good. We have an appointment with MJH today who have told us that it's a tough block. They have split designs coming out in November that could suit.

One thing I have noticed is that Rawson homes quote you including a lot of extras, ie driveway and many great upgrades. It's been a little harder to work out MJH prices as their inclusions are minimal including the Aspirations package. Perhaps those building with MJH can shed some light here?

Totally off topic.....But does anyone know what flooring Rawson have used in their Wright display house? I thought it was bamboo but now have a feeling it could be laminate.

I've found the Googong guidelines to be quite scary really and can see the $$$ adding up for landscaping alone. The good thing is I guess this will protect our investment if everyone is building to the same standards. Sort of reminds me a bit of the Truman Show lol
Hi Tizzy - We justed want to take advantage of North facing, our 2 living and kitchen and master bedroom areas are all facing north/west, you will have the choice of so many nice designs just don't get pushed into hasty decisions. Excavation is costly so the split designs would help with that, we have been advised that our block is a low what ever they call it M or S it but until they actually cut won't know tilll then but could cost $12,000.

Our builder has quoted us on retaining walls, concrete path/driveway and path around the house but we signed the contract in February and may suffer the rise and fall in pricing on eveything.

Most of the builders are offering landscaping in their price, we have to pay CIC $5,000 deposite and have 6 months to complete the front landscaping then they will refund the deposite.

What size is your block, do you have a street name/number or just the CIC block number?

Hope your meeting goes well, lets here how it all goes. Cheers pagdia

Tizzy
Pagdia, it's great you had your house design before the block, sounds easier to find a block to suit rather than what we are doing. It's exciting and scary! Our block has a 3 metre slope. We are leaning towards MJH or Rawson at this stage. Rawson homes say they can split a design for us, so that's good. We have an appointment with MJH today who have told us that it's a tough block. They have split designs coming out in November that could suit.

One thing I have noticed is that Rawson homes quote you including a lot of extras, ie driveway and many great upgrades. It's been a little harder to work out MJH prices as their inclusions are minimal including the Aspirations package. Perhaps those building with MJH can shed some light here?

Totally off topic.....But does anyone know what flooring Rawson have used in their Wright display house? I thought it was bamboo but now have a feeling it could be laminate.

I've found the Googong guidelines to be quite scary really and can see the $$$ adding up for landscaping alone. The good thing is I guess this will protect our investment if everyone is building to the same standards. Sort of reminds me a bit of the Truman Show lol
[quote="pagdia"]Hi Tizzy - We justed want to take advantage of North facing, our 2 living and kitchen and master bedroom areas are all facing north/west, you will have the choice of so many nice designs just don't get pushed into hasty decisions. Excavation is costly so the split designs would help with that, we have been advised that our block is a low what ever they call it M or S it but until they actually cut won't know tilll then but could cost $12,000.

Our builder has quoted us on retaining walls, concrete path/driveway and path around the house but we signed the contract in February and may suffer the rise and fall in pricing on eveything.

Most of the builders are offering landscaping in their price, we have to pay CIC $5,000 deposite and have 6 months to complete the front landscaping then they will refund the deposite.

What size is your block, do you have a street name/number or just the CIC block number?

The meeting went well although my head is still spinning. Lots to take in! MJH can split the design we are interested in so that was great news. They're putting a quote together for us and we should have that by Friday. My only concern is that our garage ceiling height will end up at 3.5 metres high approx, but could allow for a mezzanine level for storage. They would have to widen the garage also to include a landing for stairs into the house. I think there will be problems with that considering the guidelines, but they seem to think that should be ok.

We would still be looking between 30 and 50k for excavation but we knew that before we purchased, so no hidden surprises there.

Glad to see you are taking advantage of the sun in your design. The design we are looking at places all living areas north/east so we are happy with that. The master bedroom faces south/east so I'm not sure how I feel about that yet, may be ok for daytime sleeping lol.

Our lot number is 249 on Baxter Loop. Where abouts are you situated?
Still waiting to hear whether our house will be approved. Might give the builder a call tomorrow. Tizzy, I am more than happy to send you more info about the costs of all of our extras. Send me a pm if you like! Which mjh plan are you looking at?
Covalima, have you got any news on when your land will be ready? We have been notified that we'll be the end of November at the earliest.
Good luck with your plan approval Di+Matt, hopefully you will hear something soon.

We are looking at The Belvedere design with MJH, seems to suit us to a tee.
Tizzy
pagdia
Hi Tizzy - We justed want to take advantage of North facing, our 2 living and kitchen and master bedroom areas are all facing north/west, you will have the choice of so many nice designs just don't get pushed into hasty decisions. Excavation is costly so the split designs would help with that, we have been advised that our block is a low what ever they call it M or S it but until they actually cut won't know tilll then but could cost $12,000.

The meeting went well although my head is still spinning. Lots to take in! MJH can split the design we are interested in so that was great news. They're putting a quote together for us and we should have that by Friday. My only concern is that our garage ceiling height will end up at 3.5 metres high approx, but could allow for a mezzanine level for storage. They would have to widen the garage also to include a landing for stairs into the house. I think there will be problems with that considering the guidelines, but they seem to think that should be ok.

We would still be looking between 30 and 50k for excavation but we knew that before we purchased, so no hidden surprises there.

Glad to see you are taking advantage of the sun in your design. The design we are looking at places all living areas north/east so we are happy with that. The master bedroom faces south/east so I'm not sure how I feel about that yet, may be ok for daytime sleeping lol.

Tizzy - We are 223 in Baker just one street over from you, when do you hope to take possession of land, ours was suppose to be this month but no news as of yet. Good that you have budgeted for excavation, surprising how quick they can put together a quote. I put the quote into an excel sheet with any commets so any add in/take offs were listed, we had soooo many quotes reissued with each request it made it easier to keep track of, have only found one item they forgot to credit.

Are you doing any double glazing, solar water or electricity. We are having ducted gas with 3 zones (not sure how that works), instaneous hot water, solar electicity panels, evaporative cooling. The only rooms with carpet are the bedrooms rest of the house is tiled but no inslab heating. Cheers pagdia
Wow, we are practically neighbours. Like you we've been told the land should be ready for transfer in July/August but no news yet.

Pagdia, that's a great idea to use excel so you can stay on top of things. As far as double glazing, solar water etc, we really haven't looked into that too much. I'm sure those decisions will come once we've decided on the builder.
pagdia
Tizzy
pagdia

Tizzy - We are 223 in Baker just one street over from you, when do you hope to take possession of land, ours was suppose to be this month but no news as of yet. Good that you have budgeted for excavation, surprising how quick they can put together a quote. I put the quote into an excel sheet with any commets so any add in/take offs were listed, we had soooo many quotes reissued with each request it made it easier to keep track of, have only found one item they forgot to credit.

Are you doing any double glazing, solar water or electricity. We are having ducted gas with 3 zones (not sure how that works), instaneous hot water, solar electicity panels, evaporative cooling. The only rooms with carpet are the bedrooms rest of the house is tiled but no inslab heating. Cheers pagdia

Pagdia,
We are neighbours 222 Baker!
How's everyone's house plans and quotes going?
We are finally at the official quoting stage with Rawson...has taken so long to get to this stage after going from builder to builder looking for a plan that suits...in the end we've gone to an architect and came up with our own design...so guess its a good thing the land has now been pushed out to August settlement as we will need the extra weeks to get our quotes organised put through council and ready to build once we do settle on the land...
Hi Jenpet,

I'd give you the Googonian wave but I'm afraid the men in white coats might take me away!

So are you building with Rawson but with your own plan? I didn't even know you could do that. How have you found their service so far?
Jenpet
How's everyone's house plans and quotes going?
We are finally at the official quoting stage with Rawson...has taken so long to get to this stage after going from builder to builder looking for a plan that suits...in the end we've gone to an architect and came up with our own design...so guess its a good thing the land has now been pushed out to August settlement as we will need the extra weeks to get our quotes organised put through council and ready to build once we do settle on the land...

Quote:
Hi Jenpet - Nice to see someone else that will be building after August settlement. Will be interesting to see how things move along with an architect after looking at soo many plans you must have quite a good idea of what you want. Have a question, I was under the impression the only approval we can get at this stage is CIC and then once we settle on the land we submit plans to the Queanbeyan Council.

We should all get together at the opening of the Club House in October and maybe at other times during our builds?

Cheers pagdia
Tizzy
Wow, we are practically neighbours. Like you we've been told the land should be ready for transfer in July/August but no news yet.

Pagdia, that's a great idea to use excel so you can stay on top of things. As far as double glazing, solar water etc, we really haven't looked into that too much. I'm sure those decisions will come once we've decided on the builder.

Quote:
Hi Tizzy - Hubby and I call the want and needs list once we get the land settled I'm sure the builder will come up with rises in cot as we started this a while ago. Patricia thinks I'm physic as I rang on Friday just before the email went out. Cheers pagdia
Jenpet just read Tizzy's reply - I missunderstood, so you are building with Rawson but using an architect, is the architect one they recommend or independent?
Hope I'm doing this right and this message is going to the right place, oh well here I go...
We couldn't find a plan that really suited what we want as we have four kids, so one of the other building companies gave us a contact of a building designer, so not sure if its actually an architect? We came up with a plan we liked and payed for it so its ours...we have then gone around shown it to a few of the builders and they have given us rough pricing...from there we have now payed Rawson the money to get a proper quote done...most of the builders will work of your own plan...some don't like mdj won't...we wanted a home to fit in the kiddies, with central living then rumpus for kids, lots of storage was important as well as the northern sun aspect...think we have finally got it right after months!
It is working out to,be more then we were hoping to spend but it's a sizeable home I guess but the high cost are mainly due to building here in canberra..higher costs then in other areas!
Hope this makes sence?
So this will be our first home in canberra...am worried about heating and cooling choices here...I hate being cold am hoping being a new build with insulation and north aspect the house will be ok but really want good heating....
What are the best heating and cooling options to you think for here...what have you all,decided to put in?
I've heard that evap cooling and ducted gas heating would be the best, most of the builders included ducted ac/heating...which will be best?
I've only had experience in ac/ heating as most of my life has been on the coast or Sydney...so not much experience in this climate...
Am also considering depending on our budget getting double glazing on the windows that run down the south east side of house?
So much to think about...haven't even got to the selection stage yet!
Tizzy
Hi Jenpet,

I'd give you the Googonian wave but I'm afraid the men in white coats might take me away!

So are you building with Rawson but with your own plan? I didn't even know you could do that. How have you found their service so far?

Oh my gosh what to say about those googonian adds lol

You may have seen our pic in the paper or on the web...we bought the very first block as we won the ballet! Lol
Jenpet
So this will be our first home in canberra...am worried about heating and cooling choices here...I hate being cold am hoping being a new build with insulation and north aspect the house will be ok but really want good heating....
What are the best heating and cooling options to you think for here...what have you all,decided to put in?
I've heard that evap cooling and ducted gas heating would be the best, most of the builders included ducted ac/heating...which will be best?
I've only had experience in ac/ heating as most of my life has been on the coast or Sydney...so not much experience in this climate...
Am also considering depending on our budget getting double glazing on the windows that run down the south east side of house?

Quote:
Hi Jenpet - We must be neighbours we were the second in the ballot, I remember your husband saying he had never won anything not even a meat raffle and your litte boy fell and bumped his head. We looked at underfloor hydro heating the slab but can't afford it and was worried if anyone in Canberra really had the expertise (didn't want a fountain appearing) we ended up having ducted gas heating and evaporative cooling, like the evap cooling as you do get to have open windows. Like you I am hoping the design aspects of facing North will make a difference, our currect house is on three levels and gas heating it is expensive the Googong house is on one level so hope this will bring down the cost that we are use to paying.

Are you building a one or two level dwelling, what is your block number not sure it you are next to us two from us.

Anyone booked the bus for Sunday we are on the 1.00pm may see you there? - pagdia
pagdia
Jenpet

Quote:
Hi Jenpet - We must be neighbours we were the second in the ballot, I remember your husband saying he had never won anything not even a meat raffle and your litte boy fell and bumped his head. We looked at underfloor hydro heating the slab but can't afford it and was worried if anyone in Canberra really had the expertise (didn't want a fountain appearing) we ended up having ducted gas heating and evaporative cooling, like the evap cooling as you do get to have open windows. Like you I am hoping the design aspects of facing North will make a difference, our currect house is on three levels and gas heating it is expensive the Googong house is on one level so hope this will bring down the cost that we are use to paying.

Are you building a one or two level dwelling, what is your block number not sure it you are next to us two from us.

Anyone booked the bus for Sunday we are on the 1.00pm may see you there? - pagdia

Yes that was us...lol

We got block 222

Only single level house, two story would be good as it save some yard but too expensive...

Think Lou has booked us a spot on the bus this weekend not sure what time though...not sure what to do,with the baby, kids can stay here might see Patricia and check if she is on me in a baby carrier if she can come, hard not to include kids in theses things whe your on your own in canberra!

At least now we can stay in contact during the build stage, I said to Lou we should have swapped emails with you guys on that day so we can stay intouch during the build, ESP when it comes to the colour designs ect...don't want to look the same lol
Related
15/06/2023
Missing Building Wrap / Insulation

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hey guys building a new place through a volume builder and just wondering if i should complain to the site supervisor as we just had plasterboard installed. Looks like…

3/08/2023
Talking to tradies without entering the building site

Building A New House

Elvis has left the building... The site supervisor quit after 2 month on the project. I guess he was just instructed to bark at people, but didn't like when he was…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum