Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Near Map

Page 2 of 3
Can't believe how many of you have had trouble...

It if is taking a picture from THAT far away wouldn't EVERYONE be included???
Awesome website! I had never seen it before. I love how you can look at the old pictures too!
I just found out from Nearmap that you can cut the corner between Bunnings Mill Park and Westfield .. and soon they will have a road direct between the two. Now I can visit two of my favorite places even faster
We have had ours updated on the 28th Feb and 24th March this year in the Springfield area in Qld, but the best shots were done when near maps got permission to fly over when the Brisbane floods were happening so you can see the ariel photos of the flooding in Brisbane and the surrounds.

Cheers Lou
Our area in Croydon Vic was getting updates every 2 - 4 weeks from last year through to the very last picture on 29 January, 2011. We had site start on 7 Feb so we were looking forward to the next photo and then.........NADA. Nothing since 29 Jan. Oh well. If they are due in a week or two, it will be interesting to see when they took it. A bit of a shame that it hasn't kept up it's 2-4 week update though. But yeah, Google maps still shows a working Golf Course on the land that now has dozens of houses on it
Should I mention my area (in regional Victoria) was last updated on 1 January 2004. And even then the pic is so blurry it could really be just a random picture of a green/brown blob

Oh well that's the joys of living in the country I suppose
. The same issue means that my whole estate isn't on any GPS/online maps; makes navigating to my house a bit difficult for people who haven't been there before.

But it's great that everyone else can watch their houses being built - very cool
Near Map is very cool! It hasn't got street view but check out multiview.
Hobart was flown for the first time by Nearmap in March this year! Great to see the extreme high-res imagery. Sadly I don't think they are planning to fly here more than once a year, so there will only be one during-construction image at most.
I love this website...I actually found an "newish" estate last night and went and looked at it today.... possibly putting a deposit down.... after lots of research first! Would possibly have not found the estate if I did not know about the website!
grom40
Should I mention my area (in regional Victoria) was last updated on 1 January 2004. And even then the pic is so blurry it could really be just a random picture of a green/brown blob

Oh well that's the joys of living in the country I suppose
. The same issue means that my whole estate isn't on any GPS/online maps; makes navigating to my house a bit difficult for people who haven't been there before.

But it's great that everyone else can watch their houses being built - very cool

Ours was the same, but I see we are hires now...

You may need an up to date GPS map... IGO maps is good... doesn't work with Garmin

Ed
grom40
Oh well that's the joys of living in the country I suppose ::frown:: . The same issue means that my whole estate isn't on any GPS/online maps; makes navigating to my house a bit difficult for people who haven't been there before.

Just on this - if you have a GPS (or a phone with it, eg. iPhone) - then check out OpenStreetMap (http://www.openstreetmap.org). It is created by user-submitted GPS traces. As a result, newly changed or created roads are updated on here almost straight away.

Some examples near Hobart (OpenStreetMap on left, Google maps on right):
http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=mapni ... 42&zoom=17
http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=mapni ... 15&zoom=16

This is from the Midland Highway just north of Hobart, there is a new transport hub and bypass underconstruction.. the OpenStreetMap map changes every month or so based on construction progress!
http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=mapni ... 68&zoom=14
sheznay

Pretty sure they fly a plane very low with camera equipment.
Yep Nearmap is flown by plane. It's a pretty expensive and time consuming process to do so I'm not surprised their coverage rates have blown out from what they claimed when they launched.
theanonyuser
sheznay

Pretty sure they fly a plane very low with camera equipment.

excuse my ignorance!
For all the NW Sydney H1'ers, (Pondies, NRH & SCR's etc) Nearmap has the latest update - 13th April 2011
nrh157
For all the NW Sydney H1'ers, (Pondies, NRH & SCR's etc) Nearmap has the latest update - 13th April 2011

It`s been a long time between updates,my house was started and finshed in between updates. So much for every month,but at least it`s not every few yrs like google earth
Well, Nearmap has decided to build a user database ... You can still see the maps, but the view is a bit obscured by a SIGN UP sign ...
Fantastic website - thanks for the tip

We're Perth so are lucky to be every month. Going to be fun during the build.

I just spotted one of our soon to be neighbours has a pool and from the looks of it, it's one of the fibreglass ones we were considering. Wonder if they'll feel a little privacy-violated if we go and knock on the door to ask them about it....?
FYI, Adelaide has finally been updated.
Yay at last ... I'll go and see what our house looks like now ....
Related
24/03/2024
Building Near Train Track - Additional Cost for Acoustics

Building A New House

Our standard double-glazed window is tested to achieve, Rw 34, and can be glazed to suit Rw 39. The price is good too...

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum