Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

How often do you visit your site?

Page 2 of 37
House i built in Epping last year the builder gave me a key at lockup so i checked everyday.

Waiting for my new block on Mernda village drive to settle ( hopefully the next week or 2) and being with the same builder i expect a key again.

Builders also letting me run alot of my own cables which was nice of him.

I would be checking as often as possible , can save for headaches later.

Mark
Machiars
More of a curiousity as our SM doesn't mind us going onsite.
But I have all of the required cards allowing me to work on construction sites due to work and people wanting everything installed at the same time. (I work in the IT Industry)
I wonder if I could have argued the case as I'm covered for OH&S.

hubby has got his too and this is the excuse we use for him being on site,,by rights if you are onsite with a person who has A ci card thena s long as they have instructed youon onsite safety proceedures then you CAN go onsite!
We go about twice a week. Our builder said that we were encouraged to monitor our progress, so that's what we've been doing. We have a 45 minute drive each way, so don't go too often. We had a few times where we went and they'd done nothing for a few weeks, that was disappointing. Have only caught tradies onsite once, and that was when they were having post work drinks.
We have NEVER been... yep crazy one may say but its not as easy for us... a 9hr drive or a 1hr flight!

Lucky we have family going through the same process at the same time so they take photos and check it out for us! Last time I saw it for myself it was an empty block of land next time will be in 16 days (not that i am counting!?!?!) I will be able to walk through my house - YIPPEEE!

The builders must be loving us not there every day because I would if I could!
I go about twice a week - Wednesdays and Sundays
That way I can tell how much progress they are doing and when things sort of get done..
Thank you everyone!!
carlswil
We go about twice a week. Our builder said that we were encouraged to monitor our progress, so that's what we've been doing. We have a 45 minute drive each way, so don't go too often. We had a few times where we went and they'd done nothing for a few weeks, that was disappointing. Have only caught tradies onsite once, and that was when they were having post work drinks.

Post-work drinks??!! Love it!
I live next door to my construction. Imagine the frustration when no one turns up for 1 month and the elation when you are awaken by machinery noise at 7am!

Even if we do live next door, we can't check everything. That's how we detected the insulation wasn't properly put in and the plasterer still plastered over uninsulated areas! We forced the builder to tear the plaster down (he trusted his plasterer who * to him saying the area concerned was insulated) and of course, we were right. Who knows what else was missed?
We visit our site nearly every day.
I work 5 minutes drive from our build so I do go to have a look what's going on most days, especially when we were waiting for the house-wrap to be done as the place was being inundated with water with all the rain! We drove up last Friday night with some tarps we bought to cover part of the home from the "expected" storms we were going to have and my heart skipped when driving over the hill I saw a lovely blue sight...our house had been wrapped and we didn't have to put all the tarps around it....even though we know we aren't supposed to be on site we go nearly every day... when our teenage boys ask where we are going we say "To the House to clean up, or lock up (yes they leave the front door wide open!) or just for a look, or any reason! They just look at us in wonderment at our commitment, rain hail or shine!
When we do finally start building the new house is between here and my daughters new school, so I'll be in the vicinity if not driving right past 4 times a day!

I don't plan to stop that often, but will probably stop on the way home from school each day as she's super excited about the build and will want to see what was done that day
Victoria_g06
I go about twice a week - Wednesdays and Sundays
That way I can tell how much progress they are doing and when things sort of get done..

We try and do the same - one mid week trip and one weekend trip. Unless we're going to the gym, and are already in the estate, then we might try and stop by more... I think at the start I was going down 3 times a week- Tuesday, Thursday, and a Saturday/Sunday. I used to get worried that I'd miss something! Not too much longer to go now
I go down once a week on a Saturday, because by then something substantial has usually been done. My hubby goes down nearly every night.

Barb
We live at the front of the new house....it's being built at the rear block, used to my our back yard.
so hope to catch everything that's happening on site...
We had to drop the kids off at school down the road from our build so we went past at least once sometimes twice a day depending if we saw any work being done in the morning or not.
Everyday after after school drop off as it's 1 minute down the road from there. It's exciting to see every step of the journey.
Visited my site at 6pm tonight then went down with DH and Mum at 7.15pm - in that time someone tried to break in through the internal access door... AGAIN... GGGrrrrr
sleven
Visited my site at 6pm tonight then went down with DH and Mum at 7.15pm - in that time someone tried to break in through the internal access door... AGAIN... GGGrrrrr

bloody hell!!! how stupid can people get!

I had windows stolen out of my frame. cheap reno? Apparently the small toilet windows go missing the most. go figure
Oh that's an interesting fact.
Eerily true though, they tried to steal ours, but only got it halfway removed from the wall.

They tried to get into the bedroom window, stretched the frame so the glass has gaps in it.
Then left.

Fools
Jeez - some people?? As if there isn't already enough to worry about, now you have to consider the site security.
We have only just started the whole building process... my little block of dirt is still fenced up and i can only look at it through the fence (so haven't been doing that very frequently, once in a fortnight).

However my sister inlaw has just completed her build and while that was going on my husband and i do drivebys just to check it out on a daily basis (IT WAS SOOO EXCITING SEEING THE HOUSE TRANSFORM).
So i reckon when we start we might be so excited we might as well get a caravan and live there...
Related
15/08/2023
I often get asked if now is a good time to build

Building A New House

Well thats a relief! The whole family is sick of waiting.

2/01/2024
In this forum we often rightly criticise builders....

Building A New House

In Victoria you cannot put a caveat on arising from a domestic building contract.

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum