Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Who's building with M3tr!con in Sydney ?

Page 2 of 3
Ah Ok. I'm not sure what that came out to be - it was kinda lumped in with our site costs. I'll have a look and see if it's spelled out anywhere in our contract.

Cheers,
Aussie_Chik
We are in stage 3 - one of the 590 blocks. I think most of the others are 450's. I would have loved one of the 650's at the top with an 18m frontage but I was too slow. It's such a shame that the "standard" block size these days is 450. Incidentally, we are getting hit up for the additional cost of fencing because we are bigger than the "standard"

Lucky you ... not many of those big blocks in that area. I am in one of those 450s

Have you gone into the tender process with big M?
deletedpenguin
We looked there first, but couldn't find anything big enough for our Liberty 42.
In the end, we're very happy where we've ended up, at Stonecutters Ridge.

We are able to fit the Liberty 42 into that small land of mine but not the Nolan 41, it's slightly longer than Liberty. But I love the extra study area that Nolan has ...

Stonecutters Ridge is nice ... but we don't play golf ...
I'm building with M in Sydney - my experience so far has been ok, but we haven't started building yet... SHOULD be only a matter of weeks.

We're building the Milano 30 on a 450sq block. It's a tight squeeze, but we've shrunk a couple of rooms a few cm in order to fit it... You just can't go past the design and quality of M homes, I reckon. We had other options, but always went back to our dear Milano...

From what I've been told, M is new to NSW and unlike Qld and Vic (you might've heard horror stories over there) they don't sub-contract out their work, they have their own tradespeople her which to me means that their standards are at least uniform. They do have a rep here as being a builder with very high standards, so I guess I will find out hopefully sooner rather than later!
Bek
From what I've been told, M is new to NSW and unlike Qld and Vic (you might've heard horror stories over there) they don't sub-contract out their work, they have their own tradespeople her which to me means that their standards are at least uniform. They do have a rep here as being a builder with very high standards, so I guess I will find out hopefully sooner rather than later!

I was curious about that - my experiences thus far with M3tr!con have been very different than the horror stories from Victoria. Granted we've had a few hiccups, but nothing like what many people experienced in some of the other states.

I'm curious to know why they decided to no sub-contract here in NSW. (Besides the obvious.)
Maybe it's a case of learning from their mistakes in other states???
Or perhaps they're not big enough here and can afford it??

Don't know. Whatever reason, it's doing them good so I hope they keep it up.
Hmm...not complaining either! Curious though, hope they've learned from their mistakes.
Hi!

We are looking at building the Metricon Laguna. We bought a land in Beaumont Rise, stage 5. It has just registered last week but the fencing all around stage 5 were still on (at least as of last Friday) so we haven't started anything yet.

DKP
^ Looking forward to following your progress!
We are buliding with BIG M - Tribeca 40 in NorthWest Sydney. Plans are with council now. We finished our internal appointment too. We too had few hiccups with M so far. Nothing major.
Hey there! Im one of 'those' in VIC. We have our slab/frame, wrapping.fascias and gutters done and roof started and I must say that I have been MORE than impressed with every single step of the process with 'M'

They have been friendly, super prompt (immediately replying to emails/phonecalls) always starting thing s BEFORE they say they are scheduled and genuinly friendly and prompt. Absolutely no complaints what so ever. As I said though, only at almost bricking stage so will keep you informed, but so far, would go through them again without a second thought
hi there,

for those that are currently building with M3tr1c0n, have you guys experienced any issue with house valuation?

and is there anything that we can do if the house valuation turns out to be much lower than the market price, other than paying upfront the difference? should we reduce the upgrades or should we be changing design of the house? or anything at all .

sorry for the silly questions :p
Our build with M3tr!con is having a few setbacks. To cut a long story short, our land in Beaumont Rise (Beaumont Hills, NW Sydney) has a special front setback requirement of 7.5 metres (more than he normal council setback). We are trying to apply for a smaller setback of 6.5m for the house portico (the rest would be behind the 7.5m line).

M3tr!con would rather prefer not doing that (as it may delay the DA process) but we insisted. They are ok with that but they said we will need to provide a "Statement of Environmental Effect" report supporting our DA.

We asked for a quote from a town planner: $2,000 to produce that report. That's an expensive piece of paper! But otherwise we have to reduce the house length, which is an option we are not too happy with.

Has anyone engaged the service of a town planner. Is that quote reasonable?

DKP
Building metr1cons fairhaven 33. Just in time to check out the new displays in maitland which also displays the fairhaven we are building
as it was only in melbourne previously. Opened today!
Hi dreamz

Would love to see the Maitland displays I bet they're great!

On another note we went to Studio M yesterday to finalise a few more costs of extras and upgrades. I have decided I don't really like the stains for the standard timber front entry door and the frosted glass is quite expensive too. So was thinking of going with the Madison 104 (i think it can be painted in any dulux colour) and i had previously chosen it on the envisage website - does anyone know the cost with frosted glass?
I've got pics of the display in maitland but of the fairhaven more info on blog
Front entry... Do u get the promotional doors don't u the Windsor 21 or something
Yeh the promotional door is the Win 6G but I don't really like it as there are 6 clear glass panels which make seeing the inside very easy (I like my privacy) and as it's a timber door which you can only choose from one of 5 or so stain colours. As I have no other timber in my facade I think it will look a bit odd. I'd rather a painted door to the colour of my choice.

We were told to change to frosted glass is about $179 and to put a nice big handle on it as opposed to just a keyed door handle is about $200. It's alot of extra $$$ to pay out for something I don't really like in the first place.
Hi All,

Mind if I join in?

We are building a Newhaven 36 but have added a few bits and pieces so it will be close to a 47!!

We are in the middle of finalising contracts we sign on the 9th July.

Would love to go to Maitland to see the display that has just opened.
true aussie chick making changes are costly but in the end as long as it suits ur needs
Related
17/06/2023
How to remove ceiling air con vent?

General Discussion

How do you remove one of these ceiling air con vents? And is it possible to disconnect the duct joined to the vent from inside the house, without going into the roof cavity?

18/07/2023
Unusual Delays and Significant Price Increase During Pre-con

Building A New House

Just to makea point about this, an approach that some people have found sucessful in negotiating these rises down, Is to provide some workings to the builder, specifying…

11/11/2023
Ducted air con zones

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, sorting out the ducted air con for a 350sqm double story house. Does this placement sound reasonable to you? Also, I plan to have 6 zones I think. Living room…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum