Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Eaves - 450mm vs 600mm

Page 2 of 2
Must be just the way it looks in this pic. Trust me, I've seen the house hundreds of times

Bam - No problems
We're still undecided what to do with the portico - render? Stackstone?
meghan
Must be just the way it looks in this pic. Trust me, I've seen the house hundreds of times

Bam - No problems
We're still undecided what to do with the portico - render? Stackstone?

I also though that most of the eaves look to be 450 mm. Worth checking.
900 mm here, FNQ
From the yourhome.gov.au site - tonnes of useful info here:

"As a rule of thumb, eaves width should be 45% of the height from the window sill to the bottom of the eaves. Aim for consistent sill heights where possible and consider extending the eaves overhang over full height doors or windows. This allows the 45% rule to be simply met with the following standard eaves overhangs:

450mm where height is 900–1200mm
600mm for a height of 1200–1350mm
900mm for a height of 1350–2100mm
1200mm for a height of 2100–2700mm"

Cheers
Very interesting we are deciding which way to go at the moment 450 or 600mm. Going by the rules above 450 would suit the east of my house but not the west.
We are looking at building in geelong
The West? Nothing in relation to eave width is going to protect you as the sun starts to fall in the West on a hot summers afternoon. 450mm is what most Melbourne house have places these days from observations driving around display and new estate areas. There are numerous examples of houses with no eaves about too but that is not ideal for us here in Australia I believe.
Yes you are right they wont help with the setting but coildhelp to take the edge off over the warmest part of the day.
surtees
Yes you are right they wont help with the setting but coildhelp to take the edge off over the warmest part of the day.

450mm would do that mostly for you especially versus being eaveless.
Thanks
We have 1200mm eaves on one lower floor window in Queensland that is approximately 3m in width. We are thinking of reducing them back to 600mm in depth to allow ample room to fit our caravan. The colour bond roof line does not change and it will need to be trimmed to suit of course, but we will need replacement gutter and facia for that job. I was wondering if this requires local council approval.
Related
18/02/2024
Footing advice and core fill advice for 600mm retaining wall

Paving & Concreting

Versaloc is a mortarless besser block system that still needs a properly engineered footing. If you just do a 400x200 footing it will fail in time. At 17m long you need it…

25/03/2024
900MM Cooktop over a 600MM built in oven

Building A New House

My daughter and son in law are about to start building, they are having a 600mm induction cook top and 900mm oven. It's personal preferance >

7/07/2023
Mounting wireless camera under eaves

General Discussion

Update from me! Couldn't find the trimmer - not sure if there isn't one simply because the eave is so narrow. Went ahead with the spring toggles and it all worked out…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum