Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Thomas Archer Hue 44 Bayside Build - 2021

Page 2 of 2
maverick123
Kelmartian
maverick123
Have you had your pretender yet? Ours is meant to be next month so hopefully we meet that date.

Hi. Our pretender is now meant to be in March, although we don’t have a date yet. We have a full timeline though which is encouraging, with site start slated for last week in August or early September.
The frustrating thing is we need to sign a contract and pay a deposit for our pool this Wednesday to give them enough lead time to deliver it in July, but we don’t know if we can afford it yet because we haven’t seen the pretender which will show the price increases, etc.
So we are still waiting and hoping the house price doesn’t blow us out of the water.

Shouldn't the price only really change if the site costs are greater than what was allowed for in your PSQ and/or if you make any upgrades as part of your interior and electrical consultations?

Apparently the base price can increase if they don’t start building within 9 months.
We were aware of this but aside from that, since costs have increased due to supply issues we can either walk away or accept that the increases are the same with all builders.
They aren’t going to take on a job if they can’t afford to build it, so I guess we see if the base price (and PSQ items) have gone up 1.5% or 10%, we really don’t know yet. Plus there’s potentially site costs that we didn’t allow for.
It’s a bit scary, and if there are huge increases we would have liked to know before Xmas not in March.
Kelmartian
Apparently the base price can increase if they don’t start building within 9 months.
We were aware of this but aside from that, since costs have increased due to supply issues we can either walk away or accept that the increases are the same with all builders.
They aren’t going to take on a job if they can’t afford to build it, so I guess we see if the base price (and PSQ items) have gone up 1.5% or 10%, we really don’t know yet. Plus there’s potentially site costs that we didn’t allow for.
It’s a bit scary, and if there are huge increases we would have liked to know before Xmas not in March.

Yes. 1% if site start is 10-12 months from time PSQ is signed, 2% if 13-15 months and if 16+ months then they should be providing you with a new PSQ. Site costs are the great unknown!
Have you got your March date yet?
Kelmartian
maverick123
Kelmartian
Hi thought I replied to this but can’t see it…
Haven’t got the pre tender yet, though we have a zoom call set up for next week to go over the timeline so we should know more then. So looks like pre-tender will be Feb instead of back in November, almost 11 months from paying our deposit.

Have you had your pretender yet? Ours is meant to be next month so hopefully we meet that date.

Hi. Our pretender is now meant to be in March, although we don’t have a date yet. We have a full timeline though which is encouraging, with site start slated for last week in August or early September.
The frustrating thing is we need to sign a contract and pay a deposit for our pool this Wednesday to give them enough lead time to deliver it in July, but we don’t know if we can afford it yet because we haven’t seen the pretender which will show the price increases, etc.
So we are still waiting and hoping the house price doesn’t blow us out of the water.

Can I ask what your full timeline covered? Is that the timeline of the full build or just to get to site?
anged
Kelmartian
maverick123

Can I ask what your full timeline covered? Is that the timeline of the full build or just to get to site?

Sorry for the delay, just saw this now.

Timeline was just to get to sight.

Pretender meant to be next week but no confirmation of date or time yet so might not happen.
Hi Kelmartain,

How are you getting on with your house build?
zipzap
Hi Kelmartain,

How are you getting on with your house build?

Sorry for late reply.

We had our style appointment last week which went well although now we wait to see how much extra it will cost.

We did get one surprise, we had been quoted 11k for oak flooring plus 5k for herringbone pattern, but we’re told during the appointment it will cost more like 16k just for the pattern (plus the 11k).

Very disappointing as the initial quote was in our PSQ and then backed up in the pre-tender.

Anyway aside from that we have booked a demolition company and move out end of June, and hope to have services abolished etc and demolition complete end July, then pool shell put in early August.

Then over to TA to do the rest.
That's disappointing, good to know how much that pattern costs!

Who are you using for demolition?
AlexAndRachel
That's disappointing, good to know how much that pattern costs!

Who are you using for demolition?

BR Demolition in Mentone, they’ve been great to deal with so far.
We went with online demolition and they were fantastic too. Guided me through the whole process and even filled out forms for me to ensure we got the abolishment of services done correctly.
We are similar to you. We’ve just had our style appointment and now waiting for our tender

We’re looking at demo companies right now. Looking to move out late July.

How long will it take for them to demo your home and add the pool?
zipzap
We are similar to you. We’ve just had our style appointment and now waiting for our tender

We’re looking at demo companies right now. Looking to move out late July.

How long will it take for them to demo your home and add the pool?

Hi, they said they can demolish late July (after abolishment is complete, we will apply for it to be done from 28th June and it could take 4 weeks but should only be around 10-14 days). Pool company is meant to have the pool ready to deliver last week of July, and it needs to be in by 15th August otherwise we risk a full repricing of the house.
how long from designs to pretender to build? I had my designs complete at the start of July and still waiting on engineering before they start pretender. Seems to be taking forever, wasn't sure of what timelines others have had
cjam1
how long from designs to pretender to build? I had my designs complete at the start of July and still waiting on engineering before they start pretender. Seems to be taking forever, wasn't sure of what timelines others have had

It feels like it takes forever… we got preliminary drawings 18th December and pretender wasn’t until 20th May. Hoping to get to site late Sep or October.
Once you get to pretender things start heating up, so if you are knocking down try and get out early and abolish and demolish well ahead of schedule. We are racing against time to avoid price increases.
Kelmartian
cjam1

It feels like it takes forever… we got preliminary drawings 18th December and pretender wasn’t until 20th May. Hoping to get to site late Sep or October.
Once you get to pretender things start heating up, so if you are knocking down try and get out early and abolish and demolish well ahead of schedule. We are racing against time to avoid price increases.

Geez the process(es) are all very different to when we built hey Bigdaddy, lilaandco.
Everything takes so long now!!!!

That floor quote seems crazy high. Storey floor? Love Herringbone but 27k?
I did get an email from TA (assuming everyone did) saying that costs were increasing. Understandable to a point.
My very best wishes for a smoot5her forward journey.
Related
21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

20/07/2023
Building Site Access - Victoria - New Build

General Discussion

For reference, this is the Austlii reference. My take on this is, that they would be breaking the law denying access to a homeowner in Victoria, or their agent from having…

27/07/2023
James Hardie Linea Weatherboard - Issue - Current Build

General Discussion

Does it wipe off? Could be because of dry dirty drips.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum