Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building & Developing A Duplex In North Ryde

Page 2 of 20
" How about a frosted glass barn door?"

Nice!

Stewie
Hi Simeon,

I am in for closed ensuite too.

Can you specify orientation for the plan pls?
alexp79
Hi Simeon,

I am in for closed ensuite too.

Can you specify orientation for the plan pls?

Hi Alex

Rear is is north

I'll have an updated full set in a few days.

We had our design meeting yesterday, we have decided to keep the open ensuite, but put a frosted glass sliding door on them. Managed to make the rumpus 4500 wide.

Each dwelling is now close to 300sqm which worries me, in terms of being too big. Going to work on the construction costings today to make sure I am still on budget.

Chris, designers use REVIT so will have some 3ds to show you soon

Cheers

Simeon
love the look, agreed on the frosted closed ensuite.

Really only commenting so I get prompted to check back
diepiggy
love the look, agreed on the frosted closed ensuite.

Really only commenting so I get prompted to check back

Diepiggy

Thanks for your support. I had a laugh reading your post. Much appreciated

I think you can just follow me so you get all the updates

Cant wait to read more of your comments

cheers

Simeon

Good Morning Everyone,

I received my full set of drawings last night which means we should be able to lodge the CDC in the next day or so.

Here is the facade. I will post some of the other drawings later today, I am just looking at making some alterations to bedroom windows, and double checking that there are not privacy issues.

North Ryde has some really nice modern architecture in pockets, which is why we are going for that style, but bringing in elements of concrete and timber to break it up.

Hope you all like it

Cheers

Simeon
Ashington Homes

Good Morning Everyone,

I received my full set of drawings last night which means we should be able to lodge the CDC in the next day or so.

Here is the facade. I will post some of the other drawings later today, I am just looking at making some alterations to bedroom windows, and double checking that there are not privacy issues.

North Ryde has some really nice modern architecture in pockets, which is why we are going for that style, but bringing in elements of concrete and timber to break it up.

Hope you all like it

Cheers

Simeon

That looks amazing!!
mockkie
Ashington Homes

Good Morning Everyone,

Hope you all like it

Cheers

Simeon

That looks amazing!!

Thanks for your kind words!
Hi Simeon,

They don't look symmetrical to me?
alexp79
Hi Simeon,

They don't look symmetrical to me?

Hi Alex

I'll send you the dimensioned plans in whatsapp and you can explain what you mean

Simeon
I am judging from the facades.

Left side has a glass and right side has a concrete wall

Left side is U-shaped, while right side is L shaped
closed ensuite.

I've been living with an open one for years now and its annoying. If whoever is sharing the bedroom with you has different routine to yours, its really disruptive - e.g. my wife can get up at 5:30 some mornings and spend an hour in the bathroom. I'm supposed to be able to sleep to 7:30, but you guessed it, from 5:30 its just broken sleep if i can even sleep.
" They don't look symmetrical to me?"

I like that they are not symmetrical, maybe asymmetrical?
If you like your houses/apartments/terraces to look all the same in a row that's your prerogative a la some of the old inner city suburbs like Bondi and Paddington but I like it when things are mixed up a bit.

Stewie
Hi Everyone,

Here are my final plans that are going for CDC approval. Very happy that we have managed to prepare the full set of plans in only 7 days!

I was considering changing the bedroom windows from sliding to awning as a feature ( ie replace one sliding with 2 600mm x 1800 vertical awning) but we got the price back from our supplier yesterday and they will blow the budget. So staying as is.

Every decision I make from here on is around sticking to the $1.2m budget. We are getting feedback from a bunch of our suppliers this week that prices are going up. So I have a challenge ahead.

Anyway, here are all the plans, and now off to CDC approval. Hopefully 2-3 weeks, then council for stormwater approvals.

Cheers

Simeon

Hey Simeon
Not to be critical, but you forgot the GF plan and the designers forgot the GF internal steps down ?
The 3D Is great for picking up such mistakes.. I highly recommend everyone uses 3D Engineering Bim
Which software did your Architect uses. At A guess I'd say archcad.."designed for Architects... But they forgot the construction /engineering details?"
Anyway I'm sure they'll fix it up
Cheers
Chris
StructuralBIMGuy
Hey Simeon
Not to be critical, but you forgot the GF plan and the designers forgot the GF internal steps down ?
The 3D Is great for picking up such mistakes.. I recommend everyone uses 3D Engineering Bim
Which software did your Architect uses. At A guess I'd say archcad.."designed for Architects... But they forgot the construction /engineering details?"
Anyway I'm sure they'll fix it up
Cheers
Chris

Thanks for picking that up Chris

They use Revit.

I dont think that they will incorporate a BIM model for a duplex. We do for our apartments and offices. Budget doesnt go that far more me

cheers

Simeon
Pity I don't use revit, I use vectorworks and the file translations from one program to another are rubbish
3D Bim Engineering is not that much more expensive if you are all ( incl builder) on the same program? besides most what I do is automated. It's just a case of adding in engineering 3D Layers, Builders Quantity layers, Simulation layers,etc
I know most autodesk engineers still prefer Autocad DWG
OT most architects have problems using the Revit file structure
Cheers
Chris
StructuralBIMGuy
Pity I don't use revit, I use vectorworks and the file translations from one program to another are rubbish
3D Bim Engineering is not that much more expensive if you are all ( incl builder) on the same program? besides most what I do is automated. It's just a case of adding in engineering 3D Layers, Builders Quantity layers, Simulation layers,etc
I know most autodesk engineers still prefer Autocad DWG
OT most architects have problems using the Revit file structure
Cheers
Chris

Chris

you are speaking a different language

I do know the benefits of BIM having used it on sites, but our architects and engineers charge us a lot extra for 3d over 2d. Maybe we are being ripped??

When we do our apartments and offices, we always go 3d now for services as it saves so many headaches. For us with simple residential builds its easier for us to resolve issues onsite, but that is because we are there to manage potential conflicts.

I actually agree with you 1000000% that project home builders who dont have full time supervision could benefit as often the conflicts are resolved by a tradie getting a hammer and smashing a hole in the bracing or I joist, and no one knows any better.

I am going to take you up on this and speak to my design team to find out how much it would be to run the BIM on a home, and if we can afford it, maybe we do a blog or something on it to show the benefits?

speak soon

Simeon
Ashington Homes
I am going to take you up on this and speak to my design team to find out how much it would be to run the BIM on a home, and if we can afford it, maybe we do a blog or something on it to show the benefits?
speak soon
Simeon

When i do a site visit for which I'm paid, after a 20 min presentation, the deals in the bag so as to speak

am I talking your language now?
Cheers
Chris
StructuralBIMGuy
Ashington Homes
speak soon
Simeon

When i do a site visit for which I'm paid, after a 20 min presentation, the deals in the bag so as to speak

am I talking your language now?
Cheers
Chris

Do I have to buy your airfare as well?
Related
23/05/2024
Designing, Building & Developing a Luxury home in Lindfield

Building A New House

No problem. Still happy to buy you a lunch if you are ever hungry

11/09/2023
Building a Duplex on Sloping Block in a flood planning area

Building A New House

Give Jonathan a call. Tell him you know me. He is in my opinion the best surveyor I have ever worked with. His number is 0425 285 622 All the best Simeon

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum