Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Looking at Metricon Vantage 48 (H&L)

Page 2 of 3
Noname
Boy are you in for a ride.

Just a comment on the ac. Yes ducted heating is standard. Pretty sure heating has to be provided. It's not a luxury inclusion. But it will be ducted to the relevant ducts sizes and fuel. When you do an add on cooling system, the heater has to be upgraded to allow for a bigger fan and as such the ducts have to be bigger too to support the airflow. You'll find that add on cooling systems aren't going to be an efficient way or nay even a possible way to cool such a large house. Ergo, the ducted heating is moot. Why pay to upgrade these things if when you hand over you get told the addon cooling won't be enough and you'll need a reverse cycle electric unit? See where I'm going with this?

You're seeing these inclusions the way they are designed to be seen. You think you'll do this thing, or get this thing, then when you're 5% deposit in sitting in your electrical appointement, you'll learn you've seriously misunderstood what youre getting vs what you wanted. Then it's a matter of coming up with all this extra cash or pulling out and losing the deposit. What do you think is the common outcome at that point? Most people bend over and take it. They're emotionally and financially invested.

I suggest taking a trip to the selection studios and getting a tour and prices/upgrades explained, touch and feel the finishes and get a better ball park idea of what you're in for. At least you can prepare and lube up before the main event.

This made my day "At least you can prepare and lube up before the main event." so funny!
We are building a vantage 42 with metricon now. The house itself costs around 850k(excludes land, landscaping and pool), and it's quite basic. So be prepared.
[quote="TT21":1ifb1gow]We are building a vantage 42 with metricon now. The house itself costs around 850k (excludes land, landscaping and pool), and it's quite basic. So be prepared.[/quote:1ifb1gow]
Forgot to mention that vantage 42 has voids as well. That's what sold us on this layout. I'd love to build a 48 but it's just out of our budget.
TT21
We are building a vantage 42 with metricon now. The house itself costs around 850k(excludes land, landscaping and pool), and it's quite basic. So be prepared.

this is pretty sad actually. 850k for a basic spec 42 square home...20k per square is pretty much custom prices.
Noname
TT21

this is pretty sad actually. 850k for a basic spec 42 square home...20k per square is pretty much custom prices.

We also got quotes from custom builders, same thing costs at least 1.2m. Crazy prices in Sydney currently.
TT21
Noname
TT21

We also got quotes from custom builders, same thing costs at least 1.2m. Crazy prices in Sydney currently.

ah sydney. righto. Im sure materials costs isn't helping either at the moment.
TT21

Hi TT21,

Do you have changes to the original floor plan? I found customize the original plan is very pricy.
Vantage46
TT21

Hi TT21,

Do you have changes to the original floor plan? I found customize the original plan is very pricy.

We are building vantage 44 plus granny in nsw, with some customisations to our floor plan..

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=103852&p=1899354#p1899354
TT21

How?
What are the big ticket items? Location?

I’m considering that design as well at the moment, and so far with minor layout changes etc, the latest estimate is around 530k.
I’m in Melb btw
and thats the problem of metricons opaque pricing.

When was talking to them, i told them i wanted some prices for the design i was interested in, and they kep telling me If i give them a budget, theyll work with me to make sure I can get what i want/need. KInda shady.

It would be interesting to hear who paid what for their metricon homes.
Unfortunately we haven’t had a pleasant experience with Metricon so far. The planning stage is very messy and lengthy.. and they have been very slow on site!
Noname

When was talking to them, i told them i wanted some prices for the design i was interested in, and they kep telling me If i give them a budget, theyll work with me to make sure I can get what i want/need. KInda shady.

Maybe depending on the rep? I got sent their price list, which includes the cost of the different facade for each designs. I then told her the layout changes and major variations that I want and she produced an itemised estimate - which is pretty much the same sort of back & forth with reps from other volume builders.

Still curious about the 850k though..

The current base price of Vantage 42 is 444k in VIC, so it is either the NSW base price is crazy high, or gold plated handles & tapware.
DC2506
Noname

Maybe depending on the rep? I got sent their price list, which includes the cost of the different facade for each designs. I then told her the layout changes and major variations that I want and she produced an itemised estimate - which is pretty much the same sort of back & forth with reps from other volume builders.

Still curious about the 850k though..

The current base price of Vantage 42 is 444k in VIC, so it is either the NSW base price is crazy high, or gold plated handles & tapware.

Interesting. I was pretty insistent on seeing some prices and was told all manner of things other than the prices. Was happy to walk away.
Seeing as they have price lists, it's a wonder they don't just publish the price.
The difference between Base price and Display Home Spec, is usually double with Metricon when we are talking about the nicer large homes.

I don't think anyone really understands the differences until they build a home themselves. All the little things that make the display home nice, adds up very quickly. For example, the joinery in the display homes on average is over $100k extra, done with Metricon.

Unfortunately there's no one mold fits all when it comes to building a house. 2 people could build the same house design and one cost double the other.
dulie
The difference between Base price and Display Home Spec, is usually double with Metricon when we are talking about the nicer large homes.

I don't think anyone really understands the differences until they build a home themselves. All the little things that make the display home nice, adds up very quickly. For example, the joinery in the display homes on average is over $100k extra, done with Metricon.

Unfortunately there's no one mold fits all when it comes to building a house. 2 people could build the same house design and one cost double the other.

think you missed the part of the conversation TT21 talks about their 850k house being pretty basic, when the apparent base price of the same home is roughly half that.

Dont think anyone is disputing there is usually a significant price difference between a base price and dislay spec.
Noname
dulie

think you missed the part of the conversation TT21 talks about their 850k house being pretty basic, when the apparent base price of the same home is roughly half that.

Dont think anyone is disputing there is usually a significant price difference between a base price and dislay spec.

This is where when someone's "pretty basic" could mean anything. TT21 could consider the display home fairly basic. It's all up for interpretation.
dulie
Noname
dulie

This is where when someone's "pretty basic" could mean anything. TT21 could consider the display home fairly basic. It's all up for interpretation.

hence there are follow up questions that remain unanswered. keep up
My experience was that the Metricon pricing is at least internally self-consistent.

We started with a deposit on a Designer range home, but changed our minds to a floorplan from the Freedom range. The final base price per square meter was roughly equivalent, after we upgraded structure and finishes to match the Designer categories, before adding our own floor plan changes and so on.

We estimated the base price difference to be almost double from Freedom to Designer, and over triple from Freedom to displayed version. As Dulie said, about double from Designer base price to display price. If I recall correctly, there are a couple of Signature range display homes in Vic that are >$1M as built.

We asked for and were given without hesitation the itemised price list of "base model" and the "display model" we had walked around in, so that we could then compare with to see what we wanted upgraded. The really big ticket upgrades that we didn't have budget for were Hebel powerfloor first floor, full cantilever staircase, double sided gas log fireplace, all about 25k each. And, of course you can really add to the price with upgraded category flooring, especially tiles or solid wood flooring throughout the big homes.
Hi r_13 are you able to tell the estimate for Hebel Powerfloor only and first floor area/size. thanks
idev
Hi r_13 are you able to tell the estimate for Hebel Powerfloor only and first floor area/size. thanks

If I recall correctly it was about 25k for Hebel powerfloor, for the first floor of a Merricks 42, so about 200 square meters area.
Related
13/05/2024
Metricon KDRB designs - Vantage 48 or Franklin 50?

Building A New House

😃 will do an exclusive one for Simeon.. COVID back at home.. kept it simple & we moved in.. & yesterday was the first day at our new home.. Few more bits to go -…

13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum